• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

perspectives on sin

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
What does "sin" mean to you?

What exactly is it?

In my worldview, "sin" is referred to as adharma, that which goes against living in accordance with right behavior/duty within the social order.

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/him/they/them
Sin is a concept that I don't agree with. I feel it was created to cause guilt and convince people to stay within certain religions and act accordingly. In the past I believed sin is something everyone did and you were going to go to hell for it if you did not repent and turn your life over to Jesus.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
In Christianity all people are divine or at least have the ability to become divine, so its an offense against God.

Also There are levels and types, because sin is a word with multiple meanings depending upon context. It loosely means 'Error', so if you trip you have sinned but not in significant way. You have not sinned against God or your neighbor in a case like that.

There's also communal problems and deep flaws called iniquity. If you have an anger problem it is an iniquity. Its a flaw requiring changing who you are -- or worse something you cannot change. Its a bad feature of your community or a personal problem that is corrupt, such as a desire to hit your own head. If your community can only make its living through deceiving travelers your community has an iniquity problem. That's an iniquity that can doom your community if you don't end it, and its also not good in general. Its an iniquity not merely an error and not merely a sin, though it is generally a sin.

An abomination is the last term. As far as I know it has absolutely nothing to do with anyone who is not Jewish. Only Jews can commit an abomination. Its something they do which makes them not Jewish (or something like that maybe they still are but as Jews they aren't supposed to do whatever the thing is). As gentiles it is not applicable to us.

Christians sometimes are also not supposed to do certain things which are called abominations for Jews, however we don't call them abominations. We only call them sins. I suppose they might be the same thing, but the terminology is not used.

What exactly is it?
It has an internal Christian meaning, however to other people it just means that you have offended a neighbor, friend or family member. To a lesser extent it loosely means you've made some kind of mistake or have a flaw.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member

What exactly is it?

That is a good question and I suppose would have different perspectives.

In reference to God: Ultimately and globally I would define it as missing the mark of perfectness (which everyone would find themselves at some point in their lives). I believe there are sins of commission (sinning on purpose) and sins of omission (sinning without knowing it was as in).

Between countries, each country would have their own cultural sins. But it would be the same basic principle... which is missing the mark of what they deem is perfect.

Relationally, I would call sin that which is not done in love? Just thinking.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
I'll give you an example of iniquity. Americans have a littering problem. We have laws against littering, and we all know that its bad for the environment, but a lot of us litter. Its iniquitous, because somehow its a part of our culture and is bad or destructive. In fact a lot of people here can't imagine living somewhere that nobody litters.

Leaded gasoline was an iniquity that was cured. That was a problem for a while, and we turned a blind eye to the truth on the subject. A lot of us didn't know about it, because a traitor (helping the oil companies to backstab us all) was hiding the truth. Nevertheless we were poisoning the environment and ourselves. How many people had birth defects, health problems and brain damage because of it? We don't even know. Eventually, however, a hero resolved this and saved us from continuing down that wrong path, thus our iniquity was lifted.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

What exactly is it?

Transgression against a law or edict.

The Buddha's suttas (Pali Canon) use that word Buddhist Suttas - Sabb'āsava Suttaɱ: All the Asavas written because of the translators....

(Commenter) "I am unable to suggest any good translation of the term itself — simple though it is. It means literally 'a running or flowing,' or (thence) 'a leak;' but as that figure is not [295] used in English in a spiritual sense, it is necessary to choose some other figure and it is not easy to find one that is appropriate. 'Sin' would be very misleading, the Christian idea of sin being inconsistent with Buddhist ethics. A 'fault' in the geological use of the word comes somewhat nearer. 'Imperfection' is too long, and for 'stain' the Pāli has a different word[6]. In the Book of the Great Decease I have chosen 'evil;' here I leave the word untranslated."

It's mostly associated with christianity. I believe that's where it originally came from and, because (since I'm in the US) it's mainly a christian nation, we take many "laws" and christian language even in thought not religiously oriented. For example, someone may have "inherent" sin if they are a child murderer, given that many think the murderer is such by her own nature and not just by her intentional action. That, or it's made that she is inherently or at least medically (so not her control) have a mental health condition. So, it's basically a transgression of a law but interpreted in many ways by influence of christian history.

rational experiences

Veteran Member
Sin a human says logically,.......I don't own it. And meant it

A truth

Says Satanists scientists human are liars.

They never wanted God O earth seal stone mass presence.

They built a time shifting machine against presence God.

Tried to remove origin sin Satan O as planet earth mass before it sealed into God.

God protected us as stone from original sin. Satan body angel burning as mass blasting in space.

Origin form says our satanic theist science brother. Satanic.

I want it.

So his brother said no man is God stone seal you know liar.

God owns no sin.

Machine melted God mass cooled changed. Machine now sin itself.

Applied reaction to time shift God again and again back in time to Satan mass until machine melted stone again. Machines blew up. Temples fell. Pyramid facure blasted off......toppled crumbled disintegrated pyramid circuit.

Sink holes. Machine mass gone as false God. By constant reaction.

Modern time machine nearly blew up overheated when machine in God mass the unsealing by alien removed God by machine body. As if a multiple machine body removed God time. Nuclear mass.

Machine design. The shifter body.

Uses machine to continually remove his design. Machine. By designed reaction machine held

Design machine anti self alien.

Looks human like as the human designed the machine.

Human life was taught about humans in science not observing reality as observation itself. Fake thinkers.

Before medical observation was the psychic healer. Who observed.

Told everyone their human science truth. Lived the suffering identity. Everyone who saw his suffering believed. It was all he had..to show science was wrong. His suffering. This family human suffering.

His genetic body family. Genetics shared by everyone in a large or small human ownership. Everyone got hurt.

And today in support of satanism you want to argue relativity of life continuing on Earth. Not likely.