• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Persian / Iranians - What race are they?

GabrielWithoutWings

I've read wiki articles but I didn't really get a clear answer.

I know that the languages branch from the same tree but I'm still not sure genealogy-wise.

Are they white, Semitic, Asian (like Indian Asian)?

Also, I'm aware that there are differing ethnic groups within Iran but I'm not that familiar with them.

Woodrow LI

IB Ambassador
The race is Aryan Were the modern name of Iran comes from. The Language is Indo-European and more closely related to German than any of the Semitic languages. There are other ethnic groups in Iran the largest being Palestinian Jews. there are also Arabs most of which are Muslim but also some Arab Christians and a fluctuating population of Kurds who also are an Aryan race, the predominate religion among them is Yazidi. The majority of the Iranians are Shi'a of the Twelver Sect

gnomon

I know that the languages branch from the same tree but I'm still not sure genealogy-wise.

Also, I'm aware that there are differing ethnic groups within Iran but I'm not that familiar with them.

I would say they are no race just like everybody else. Ethnically I guess they are descended from the same Indo-_________ language family that everyone outside of Africa and before you get to Asia in the tri-Continental supermass seem to be grouped under.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Indo-Iranian subset of Indo-European peoples. Generally, the majority of Iranians I have seen---which aren't many, I will admit, have been fair skinned.

I don't really feel "Aryan" covers it right, as "Aryan" is used for various groups in Dharmic literature and one's race is not necessarily a part of it.

My $0.02. :)

Woodrow LI

IB Ambassador
It's from a Hadith. I'll have to look for it.

I only recently begun an in depth study of Hadith. When I first accepted Islam I was somewhat of a Hadith rejector until I finally learned about the levels of reliability and authenticity for each hadith. what had gotten me confused was I did not know that some hadith were very weak and I was looking at them as if they were all strong. It was about two years ago I really started looking into them in depth. I still have a long ways to go.

GabrielWithoutWings

I'm having trouble finding it.

It's a Hadith where someone actually gives off a description of Muhammad. It goes something like. "... he had a handsome face, a black beard that was clean and neat, white teeth, blue eyes, a ruddy complexion" etc. Something similar to that.

muslim-

I only recently begun an in depth study of Hadith. When I first accepted Islam I was somewhat of a Hadith rejector until I finally learned about the levels of reliability and authenticity for each hadith. what had gotten me confused was I did not know that some hadith were very weak and I was looking at them as if they were all strong. It was about two years ago I really started looking into them in depth. I still have a long ways to go.

Well done. Learning about authenticity is extremely important to eliminate superstitions and inaccuracies, and even lies. Making sure of authenticity and not accepting what is weak and fabricated is only honoring the Sunnah.

Ive never heard about any hadeeth about prophet Muhammad peace be upon him having blue eyes. If I recall correctly, they were extremely black.

Tamar

I am Jewish.
The race is Aryan Were the modern name of Iran comes from. The Language is Indo-European and more closely related to German than any of the Semitic languages. There are other ethnic groups in Iran the largest being Palestinian Jews. there are also Arabs most of which are Muslim but also some Arab Christians and a fluctuating population of Kurds who also are an Aryan race, the predominate religion among them is Yazidi. The majority of the Iranians are Shi'a of the Twelver Sect

The Jewish community in Iran is one of the oldest in the diaspora and dates back to the first temple. The land was not called Palestine so how are they Palestinian Jews?

The land of Palestine did not get its name till the destruction of the 2nd temple by the Romans.

Prior to that there were no Palestinians.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

All my Iranian in-laws are white folk.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
the two largest ethnic groups in Iran today are Azeris and Persians. together with various other ethnic groups. the term 'Aryan' as race classification is almsot archaic and hardly used in today's scholarship. is certainly different from what Aryan meant in Eurocentric culture. the people of Iran today are a melange of ethnicities. but if you are looking for a wider historical context, you can look into the geographical spread of the Iranian people. perhaps we might even enter into a more controversial areas of the Indo-Aryan migration theories.

Flankerl

"What race are they?" For this question alone you'd have a fair chance to meet the police and judges here.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
"What race are they?" For this question alone you'd have a fair chance to meet the police and judges here.
LOL when I signed on a membership at our local sports club, I was asked on the form which race I was. I really stared at the paper and started laughing. in Israel I was never asked this before. but after being here for a while, race classification is present almost everywhere in the UK. practically in every form or application process. for a while I didn't even know how to classify myself. Jewish? European? Israeli? multi-racial? and in this case what type of multi-racial?

Last edited: