• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Perfect and imperfect

FatMan

Can something be perfectly imperfect?

This can actually be a pretty deep question depending on what is deemed imperfect. If perfection is staying unbroken or is a solid form, then a snowflake can be perfectly imperfect. If imperfection means uniqueness, then a fingerprint can be perfectly imperfect.

However, if one is to take imperfection as being completely flawed, then the only thing that could be perfect would be a "broken" object with no continuity whatsoever. It all hinges on the definition of imperfection.

Buttercup

Veteran Member
My husband is perfectly imperfect.

Rick gets grumpy quite often (A Cancer the Crab classic trait) but for some reason I like it. I usually tease him right out of his bad mood. The kids however take it way too seriously...because he can be scary.

doppelganger

Through the Looking Glass
Are you implying that perfect and imperfect are the same thing?:confused:

True perfection seems imperfect,
yet it is perfectly itself.
True fullness seems empty,
yet it is fully present.

True straightness seems crooked.
True wisdom seems foolish.
True art seems artless.

The Master allows things to happen.
She shapes events as they come.
She steps out of the way
and lets the Tao speak for itself.

- Tao te Ching, v. 45 (MacDonald trans.)

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
When I took pottery in college, I couldn't stand using the pottery wheel. It made everything appear too smooth. I couldn't stand it! The best pottery is crooked and raw.

Perfectly imperfect!

lizskid

BANNED
Yes, humans are perfectly imperfect, in that they are always human and destined to be imperfect when compared to God, etc. We fail in that we are subject and slave to our emotions, jealousies, desires, impulsivities, and the like. We are imperfect 100% of the time. Perfectly imperfect.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I simply do not subscribe to the concept of so-called "perfection". Nothing, not even "god" is "perfect", period. In my distorted and stunted view I will settle for the concept that everything is perfectly imperfect. Since perfection is an illusion then everything that exists is uniquely imperfect. In short, since "perfection" simply does not exist then we must take a side long gaze at the concept of "imperfection" as well.

But heck... what would I know.

I guess I just have a problem with the idea that something is complete beyond change, as change is the name of the game as I see it and I don't believe that we will ever break free from the clutches of change. Frankly, I don't know why people would want to unless of course they like to be bored witless.