• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

People who leave kids in hot cars

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
2-year-old boy dies after he's left in scorching hot van outside day care

I've been running across quite a few of these stories lately. This latest one happened in Florida, when a two-year-old boy was left in a hot van outside a day care center.

This is the 24th such case so far this year.

Noah was the 24th child to die in a hot car this year in the U.S., according to national nonprofit KidsAndCars.org.

Just last week, 1-year-old twins died in New York City after their father said he accidentally left them in his car all day while he was at work.

"This is my absolute worst nightmare," the twin's mother said in a statement.

(MORE: Mom arrested after 1-year-old daughter dies in hot car: Prosecutor)
Hot car deaths reached a record level in the U.S. last year with at least 52 children killed, according to KidsAndCars.org.

I never know quite what to make of these stories. Their negligence is horrible and tragic, and they should be punished. But then I wonder, what were they thinking? Was it just an innocent mistake and they didn't really mean to do anything harmful? Is it that easy to forget that you have a child in the backseat of a car?

On a general note, I have noticed that a lot of people tend to be thoughtless and careless in their daily activities. I've noticed too many people who are kind of oblivious, in their own little worlds and seemingly unaware of their surroundings.

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian

I've been running across quite a few of these stories lately. This latest one happened in Florida, when a two-year-old boy was left in a hot van outside a day care center.

I never know quite what to make of these stories. Their negligence is horrible and tragic, and they should be punished. But then I wonder, what were they thinking? Was it just an innocent mistake and they didn't really mean to do anything harmful? Is it that easy to forget that you have a child in the backseat of a car?

On a general note, I have noticed that a lot of people tend to be thoughtless and careless in their daily activities. I've noticed too many people who are kind of oblivious, in their own little worlds and seemingly unaware of their surroundings.

I once broke out a car window in order to save a trapped dog from dying of heat exhaustion.

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
I think if a person has to do something out of their normal routine — it’s easier to forget, even as something as important as your kids.

Everyone is so distracted w/ useless information and stress nowadays, some more so than others. No wonder a few seem to walk around in a stupor....”kind of oblivious “ as you stated.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
On a general note, I have noticed that a lot of people tend to be thoughtless and careless in their daily activities.
On another general note,
I can't help but notice how many kids around here are being raised by parents who both felt entitled to sex while also insufficiently responsible to use adequate birth control.

Call me a prude if you want to.

I don't know if that's the case in any particular episode of dreadfully irresponsible parenting, but I know it happens a lot.
Tom

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
On another general note,
I can't help but notice how many kids around here are being raised by parents who both felt entitled to sex while also insufficiently responsible to use adequate birth control.

Call me a prude if you want to.

I don't know if that's the case in any particular episode of dreadfully irresponsible parenting, but I know it happens a lot.
Tom

The main thing that gives me hope is that most people in previous centuries had less access to birth control, less access to medical care, less overall education, and were dreadfully irresponsible on top of it, yet the human species has survived.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
But then I wonder, what were they thinking? Was it just an innocent mistake and they didn't really mean to do anything harmful? Is it that easy to forget that you have a child in the backseat of a car?
With the frequency this is happening, really we do need to look more into this. Is it just bad parenting? At this point I have my doubts. Some perhaps it could be mental illness. Some it could be based in that our attention span is dwindling. But I do agree we probably should push for car sensors to alert people to just this thing, and blatantly ignore those who cry about it.
The main thing that gives me hope is that most people in previous centuries had less access to birth control, less access to medical care, less overall education, and were dreadfully irresponsible on top of it, yet the human species has survived.
Too bad people keep electing bafoons who want to take us back to those previous centuries.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
With the frequency this is happening, really we do need to look more into this. Is it just bad parenting? At this point I have my doubts. Some perhaps it could be mental illness. Some it could be based in that our attention span is dwindling. But I do agree we probably should push for car sensors to alert people to just this thing, and blatantly ignore those who cry about it.

Well, this is hardly a recent issue. I remember it arising when I was a child 50 years ago.

That said, if there is an overall warming trend, we should expect to see more of this simply because of increased 'opportunities' for it to happen.

Too bad people keep electing bafoons who want to take us back to those previous centuries.

Well, I doubt this particular example is a liberal/conservative thing.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member

Fortunately I never lost track of a kid but

I have driven away from the mall realizing after they called I left my friend there.
I have forgotten where I parked my car (many times)
I have gotten up on a Saturday, looked at the clocked realized I was late for worked showered, ate and made lunch only realizing half way there I don't work Saturday's.
Smaller ones
Make my lunch everyday yet about once every two months I leave it at home.
Before electronic keys, I locked my keys in my car many times, I got real good at popping the lock.

So I do find it possible if something is on your mind. With me and the Kids, they were always the priority, I may forget phone calls or being somewhere if I was doing something with the kids but I never forgot the kids.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Back in the bad old days, before Feminism, most kids whose family owned a car also had a full time parent.

Nowadays, not so much.
Tom

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Back in the bad old days, before Feminism, most kids whose family owned a car also had a full time parent.

Nowadays, not so much.
Tom
When two-income households started , people were warning for years about latchkey kids and the consequences.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
When did two-income household started people were warning for years about latchkey kids and the consequences.

I believe that all children deserve high quality care, from gestation through teen years.

That makes me rather a prude, a curmudgeonly old relic....

Tom

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Well, this is hardly a recent issue. I remember it arising when I was a child 50 years ago.
True, but it seems really we need to find out what exactly is going on instead of making assumptions.
Well, I doubt this particular example is a liberal/conservative thing.
I was referring to your mentioning of access to birth control, health care, etc.
New Back in the bad old days, before Feminism, most kids whose family owned a car also had a full time parent.
And before the rise of the nuclear family most parents had extended family helping with the kids, sometimes the assistance of the community.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
https://abcnews.go.com/US/year-boy-dies-left-scorching-hot-van-florida/story?id=64651632
What would be the purpose of punishment? What would it be intended to accomplish?

People are absent minded, they get distracted. Usually the oversight is just an inconvenience, but sometimes it can be catastrophic.

Is it the forgetfulness that deserves punishment, or the effect?

Ellen Brown

My youngest is 36. I can't remember ever leaving her alone in the car. Doesn't mean it didn't happen...

I remember sitting in the car when I was young while "they" went in to have a beer. In those days, you could roll the windows down.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

Yes, although back in those days, child restraints and child safety locks weren't mandatory. So, a small child might be able to get out of the car on their own, if they weren't restrained. (I know I did, and it would drive my parents nuts.)

Also, it was less common for people to lock their cars back then.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
How the hell, would you disprove intention in a case like this?
With child services (speaking strictly in Indiana where I have experience) you don't have to prove intention but that certain actions, behaviors, and environments are detrimental and dangerous for children, and explain thoroughly to a judge how those things do pose risks. Few people have the intention to harm their children, but even unintentional neglect can cause serious injury and death.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
What would be the purpose of punishment? What would it be intended to accomplish?

People are absent minded, they get distracted. Usually the oversight is just an inconvenience, but sometimes it can be catastrophic.

Is it the forgetfulness that deserves punishment, or the effect?

I think the charge would be negligent homicide.