• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

people said that the certain type of music genre I'm listening to is "blasphemy"

Ezno12

I am listening to "hexed" music, and one of my well knowledged atheist friends has told me that what I'm listening to is straight blasphemy because I quote "The people who sing or make these lyrics are reciting Satanist verses and is blasphemy". Now I well know that rappers in general speak about bad things like the use of drugs In a life of poverty or gun violence etc. But I've never heard of a rapper speaking against the lord and i am worried that what I'm doing is in fact blasphemous. My friend has read the bible a few times and he listens to the same type of "hexed" music i do and is a little more experienced in it and knows more about it. It would be really nice if someone could tell me if what I'm doing is wrong. Here is for example someone i enjoy hearing: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXXlBavRI8unUbevUCKc87g , his name is axxturel but i sadly don't have any lyrics to his songs.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
The lyrics to a couple of songs and they're pretty negative.
Many lyrics here: Axxturel lyrics

Whether or not you would consider them blasphemous depends on your religion which you haven't mentioned. I'm not going to judge whether it's '"wrong" or not but why not read those lyrics and think about them in the context of your religious beliefs and make up your own mind.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ezno12

The lyrics to a couple of songs and they're pretty negative.
Many lyrics here: Axxturel lyrics

Whether or not you would consider them blasphemous depends on your religion which you haven't mentioned. I'm not going to judge whether it's '"wrong" or not but why not read those lyrics and think about them in the context of your religious beliefs and make up your own mind.
I am an Orthodox Christian which I'm pretty sure that it's one of the more strict religions, at least more strict than Evangelic but I don't want to compare any religions with each other, the way I view it based on the lyrics is I just view them as normal. Previously I didn't even know about it reciting anything Satanistic until my friend told me, I view it no more than a melody I like to listen to, in fact I despise the person who sings it because of his doings but I just enjoy the songs. Let me just state that I am a minor I'm 16 and for me to abandon everything for god is too early and out of my reach since I've listened to music forever and its a thing for me i cant let go so its out of the question, i will say it again that the only thing I'm afraid of is it being blasphemous which is why I'm here trying to gather opinions. If its necessary to quit listening to it, i will do it without a doubt.

Last edited by a moderator:

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
I've never heard of it. Is this it?

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
I am an Orthodox Christian which I'm pretty sure that it's one of the more strict religions, at least more strict than Evangelic but I don't want to compare any religions with each other, the way I view it based on the lyrics is I just view them as normal. Previously I didn't even know about it reciting anything Satanistic until my friend told me, I view it no more than a melody I like to listen to, in fact I despise the person who sings it because of his doings but I just enjoy the songs. Let me just state that I am a minor I'm 16 and for me to abandon everything for god is too early and out of my reach since I've listened to music forever and its a thing for me i cant let go so its out of the question, i will say it again that the only thing I'm afraid of is it being blasphemous which is why I'm here trying to gather opinions. If its necessary to quit listening to it, i will do it without a doubt.
Do the words bother you?

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
i am worried that what I'm doing is in fact blasphemous.
I don't know enough about eastern orthodox to tell you what you'd consider to be blasphemy, but I'd say listening to music is not blasphemy. The definition of blasphemy is itself vague. Its particularly confusing to determine what blasphemy is in the NT, because Jesus gets accused of blasphemy, because Jesus mentions something called "Blasphemy against the Holy Spirit," and because of other passages mentioning it such as Revelation 13:5 "...And there was given unto him a mouth speaking great things and blasphemies; and power was given unto him to continue forty and two months...."

You can tell that blasphemy is bad, but what it is, specifically? The dictionary infers that it means saying something negative about God or saying something sacrilegious. This definition is insufficient to make sense of all the NT passages mentioning blasphemy.

It could even be that boasting is considered to be blasphemy. Depending upon what it is you may accidentally blaspheme every day, or it could be very difficult to blaspheme.

Ebionite

In the Hebrew blasphemy is (roughly) to speak contemptuously of someone or something. In the Greek it's speech the causes injury. Simply listening to something isn't a form a blasphemy, but listening to words that are blasphemous are most likely to have a negative effect if the listener accepts the message.

Ezno12

I've never heard of it. Is this it?

Yes, kind of as i said i just listen to it and dont know alot about it but you can try to listen to it yourself on youtube just search for axxturel

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
In the Hebrew blasphemy is (roughly) to speak contemptuously of someone or something. In the Greek it's speech the causes injury. Simply listening to something isn't a form a blasphemy, but listening to words that are blasphemous are most likely to have a negative effect if the listener accepts the message.
However, if he is a follower of Jesus, he said “Be careful what you hear” as well as, “if you hear the wrong things, even what you have will be taken from you” (paraphrased) - words are important - they form who you are.

wellwisher

Much of that gendre is deliberately provocative to help sell product. Rebellion appeals to young people who will then buy such products as part of their rite of passage into adulthood and change. I like some of that style of music, but I rarely listen to the lyrics. I treat the voice as one of the instruments; lead melodious blah blah blah. I often have no clue what they are saying, beyond a few buzz words; swears, they will get my attention. These may not add anything to the bass line, sampling, unique voice instrument or overall song structure. Sometime I will rap along with new words, that poke fun, but work just as well for the song structure.

Jesus said, about food and I suppose even food for thought, it is not what enters the person that defiles the person, since food goes to your stomach and is eliminated. Rather it is what is in your heart. If it is taboo to you; based on deep feelings, it is taboo to you, but not necessarily to others, you do not take to the messaging to heart; part of a song line.

Paul said, all things are lawful, but not all things edify, all things are lawful, but I will not be mastered by anything. If you take sometime to much to heart; food or food for thought, pro or con, it has become your master; compulsion.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Much of that gendre is deliberately provocative to help sell product. Rebellion appeals to young people who will then buy such products as part of their rite of passage into adulthood and change....
52xq62jwxeg41.jpg