• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

peace, breaking the shackles that bind, freedom?

gseeker

conflicted constantly
I'm sure we have all heard such terms spouting from the mouths of Christians. How true are those words and how are the applied? Does not the Bible talk about being a slave multiple times completely negating the terms breaking the shackles and freedom? As for peace, does any Christian feel true long lasting peace through any other means than through pure ignorance?

Let me just say this then give me your thoughts. Christians always talk about peace. Well I've never felt such peace as I do now after rejecting the Christian religion. Now that I don't have to worry about conflicting doctrines, now that I don't have to try to ignore the errors of the Bible under the presumption of Biblical infalliblity. I don't worry about heaven or hell or a God looking over my shoulder. I am truly free and at peace now. The shackles that bound me called Christianity are broken and I'm finally free! Now I view life with Occam's razor and hope my reasoning thought is never confined again.

mycorrhiza

Some people feel freedom only under authority. They want something to lean against, something higher to tell them what to do.

I too feel peace now that I've left Christianity (well, I left it five years ago). I no longer fear death, nor do I fear not knowing. Different things work for different people. Some feel peace in Christianity, others in Sikhism and others in not belonging to a religion at all.

Last edited:

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
I'm sure we have all heard such terms spouting from the mouths of Christians. How true are those words and how are the applied? Does not the Bible talk about being a slave multiple times completely negating the terms breaking the shackles and freedom? As for peace, does any Christian feel true long lasting peace through any other means than through pure ignorance?

Let me just say this then give me your thoughts. Christians always talk about peace. Well I've never felt such peace as I do now after rejecting the Christian religion. Now that I don't have to worry about conflicting doctrines, now that I don't have to try to ignore the errors of the Bible under the presumption of Biblical infalliblity. I don't worry about heaven or hell or a God looking over my shoulder. I am truly free and at peace now. The shackles that bound me called Christianity are broken and I'm finally free! Now I view life with Occam's razor and hope my reasoning thought is never confined again.

That doesn't read like peace.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member

Well you've just told us what you don't believe anymore, but what do you believe now? Are we to imply you are now an atheist-materialist with no belief in God or a life-after-death?

There is more to consider than just dogmatic Christianity versus atheism. Have you considered that Truth is not found in either of those two extreme viewpoints. And have you considered that many people with other viewpoints also feel free and unshackled.

javajo

Personally, I have found peace by rejecting "the Christian religion" and by embracing the unconditional love, mercy, grace and acceptance of Christ. Only when I learned that Christ freely loves an undeserving sinner like me, all the time, no matter what and he will love me and keep me forever, that I had real peace and assurance and security, not in religion, or my being 'good enough', but in Him.