• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pavement art

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Just found this collection of art down on pavements -

https://www.boredpanda.com/44-amazing-3d-sidewalk-chalk-artworks-by-julian-beever/

Amazing-3D-Sidewalk-Art-boat.jpg

Enjoy your day!

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Just found this collection of art down on pavements -

https://www.boredpanda.com/44-amazing-3d-sidewalk-chalk-artworks-by-julian-beever/

Amazing-3D-Sidewalk-Art-boat.jpg

Enjoy your day!
I love these, but have seen them before. I do like the one picture that shows what this art looks like from the "wrong angle". This is the sort of picture that may look right from only one location. How he manages to keep that location in mind is amazing. I wonder what they look like to people that are walking by on the wrong side.

PureX

Veteran Member
Visual gimmicks like these are fun and interesting to see, but they aren't really 'art'. They're just a glorification of the craft of visual illustration.

PureX

Veteran Member
I would disagree and say that they are both. Quite often art involves a gimmick of some sort these days.
I think people try to aggrandize gimmicks and decorations by calling them "art". I have nothing against what this guy's doing. I'm sure it's fun to see how the image warps and twists as you walk away from the single point of perspective to which it's oriented. But it would have to transcend mere technique and trickery to rise to the level of an actual artwork.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Illustration is a craft. It's not an art form, it's an art tool.

You are welcome to your belief. The application of craftsmanship can be art

Of course pavement art from the Renaissance period has washed away and you would have difficulty hanging it on a wall for you to stand and ponder the deeper meaning of the artist

But if the artist considers it art and those viewing the work consider it is art and the name of the "craft" considers it art and Banksy considers it art and the definition of "performance art" considers it art then perhaps you would see value in re-evaluating your bias.

ChristineM

Premium Member
That's true, but in a work of art, the gimmick serves a higher purpose. It's not just there to titillate.

A definition of art
The expression or application of human creative skill and imagination, typically in a visual form such as painting or sculpture, producing works to be appreciated primarily for their beauty or emotional power.

Could very well be interpreted as titillation

PureX

Veteran Member
You are welcome to your belief. The application of craftsmanship can be art.
The application of anything can be art, if it's applied to the act of making art. Otherwise, however, it's not art. It's just another tool an artist can use, or not use, to make art with. Illustration is not art. It's a craft, like metal casting, or stone carving.
Of course pavement art from the Renaissance period has washed away and you would have difficulty hanging it on a wall for you to stand and ponder the deeper meaning of the artist.
Impermanence is also an idea that an artist can use, or not use, to convey their experience of being, to others. But again, the tools and materials and processes used to create a work of art are not what defines the result as being art. Until you understand this, you understand nothing about art.
But if the artist considers it art and those viewing the work consider it is art and the name of the "craft" considers it art and Banksy considers it art and the definition of "performance art" considers it art then perhaps you would see value in re-evaluating your bias.
I don't need other people to tell me what they think it is because I already know what art is and what it's not. Art has a specific function and purpose in the world. If the purported "artwork" fulfills that function and purpose, it's art (maybe it's good art, maybe it's bad art, but it's art). If it doesn't, then it's not. What people who don't know what art is, call art, is of no consequence to me.

PureX

Veteran Member
A definition of art
The expression or application of human creative skill and imagination, typically in a visual form such as painting or sculpture, producing works to be appreciated primarily for their beauty or emotional power.

Could very well be interpreted as titillation
That's not a proper definition of art, though. Sure, some art may be "titillating", but it's not the titillation that defines it as being art. Until you understand this, you understand nothing about art.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
You are welcome to your belief. The application of craftsmanship can be art

Of course pavement art from the Renaissance period has washed away and you would have difficulty hanging it on a wall for you to stand and ponder the deeper meaning of the artist

Sometimes what looks like mere craft to some can mean more to others.
The former like to put art in a well defined box, keeping some works in,
& others out. It seems a small & rigid perspective.

ChristineM

Premium Member
The application of anything can be art, if it's applied to the act of making art. Otherwise, however, it's not art. It's just another tool an artist can use, or not use, to make art with. Illustration is not art. It's a craft, like metal casting, or stone carving.

Ahh, another tool, like painting a masterpiece, yes i understand that Michelangelo created wonderful tools

Both metal casting and stone carving can be art if carried out artistically. But it seems you consider sculpture is not art

380px-Psyche_revived_by_cupid's_kiss,_Paris_2_October_2011_002.jpg

Impermanence is also an idea that an artist can use, or not use, to convey their experience of being, to others. But again, the tools and materials and processes used to create a work of art are not what defines the result as being art. Until you understand this, you understand nothing about art.

We are not talking tools we are talking pavement art
Until you understand this you have no idea what this thread is about.

I don't need other people to tell me what they think it is because I already know what art is and what it's not. Art has a specific function and purpose in the world. If the purported "artwork" fulfills that function and purpose, it's art (maybe it's good art, maybe it's bad art, but it's art). If it doesn't, then it's not. What people who don't know what art is, call art, is of no consequence to me.

You know what you think art is. I know what i think art is. I think its rather impertinent of you to discredit art even if you don't like it

That's not a proper definition of art, though. Sure, some art may be "titillating", but it's not the titillation that defines it as being art. Until you understand this, you understand nothing about art.

That is a proper dictionary (OED) definition of art, you disagree with it talk to the dictionary compilers at Oxford.

ChristineM

Premium Member
Sometimes what looks like mere craft to some can mean more to others.
The former like to put art in a well defined box, keeping some works in,
& others out. It seems a small & rigid perspective.

It seems @PureX is rather strict in what he defines as art, he went to uni to learn how to disrespect and deny art that is below his rigid perspective