• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Paul vs "the law" (can humans earn righteousness?)

Simplelogic

If there is no such thing as original sin then there is no need for repentance. (Yet the Old Testament states that if the people of Israel would turn from their wicked way and seek God that he would return to them.) Another thing is, a person cannot be considered righteous by what they do unless there are things that they would otherwise do that are not righteous.
Actually….its the other way around. A person can ONLY repent of something that they are personally responsible for. If humans are born inherently evil, this means we are not responsible for the evil we commit…we were simply born that way! This is why most Christians are incapable of actually repenting. They don't really believe they are responsible for the sins they have committed. Its all a byproduct of their "sinful nature" that they were born with.

RedDragon94

Love everyone, meditate often
If humans are born inherently evil, this means we are not responsible for the evil we commit…we were simply born that way!
What I mean is that human beings have a natural propensity toward evil. I'm not saying that we aren't responsible for our actions.
They don't really believe they are responsible for the sins they have committed.
Any Christian that takes that position is neglecting Romans 6:1-2 and Romans 14:12.

Simplelogic

What I mean is that human beings have a natural propensity toward evil. I'm not saying that we aren't responsible for our actions.

Any Christian that takes that position is neglecting Romans 6:1-2 and Romans 14:12.
Original sin literally means that human beings are born evil and guilty. This means humans are not responsible for their own sin. They were born that way!!

RedDragon94

Love everyone, meditate often
So God sends good people to hell?
Mark 10:18. I think this statement really shows the Jewishness of Jesus.
Original sin literally means that human beings are born evil and guilty. This means humans are not responsible for their own sin. They were born that way!!
That is your definition of original sin. I believe that humans weren't created evil but chose that. It's like having an ancestor that was an alcoholic and that alcoholism being in your genes.

Simplelogic

Humans are born with the propensity for evil or for God. Our choice is what defines us as one or the other. Here are some relevant verses which destroy original sin/total depravity:

"They even sacrificed their sons and their daughters to demons, and shed innocent blood, even the blood of their sons and daughters..." Psalm 106:37,38

"For before the child shall know to refuse the evil and choose the good... Isaiah 7:16

Simplelogic

Mark 10:18. I think this statement really shows the Jewishness of Jesus.

That is your definition of original sin. I believe that humans weren't created evil but chose that. It's like having an ancestor that was an alcoholic and that alcoholism being in your genes.
Then you don't believe in original sin.

Simplelogic

Are you equating life on Earth and hell? It's not hell for me. It never will be, I am sure.
Huh? I personally don't believe in your version of hell or heaven. I believe "heaven" is coming to earth.

I was asking whether you believe good people will go to hell in your view.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Huh? I personally don't believe in your version of hell or heaven. I believe "heaven" is coming to earth.

I was asking whether you believe good people will go to hell in your view.
I said that good people will live on Earth. There is no living in hell imo.

Simplelogic

I believe this. What Adam and Eve did when they ate the fruit condemns our whole species. You say yourself that in addition to being guilty we are also sinful.
We don't have a sin nature. Nor are we guilty of sin for being born. Sin is a CHOICE…not a nature. We all have the same ability to do either good or evil.