• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Paul vs "the law" (can humans earn righteousness?)

Simplelogic

Paul on obedience/righteousness

"I do not nullify the grace of God, for if righteousness comes through the Law, then Christ died needlessly." Galatians 2:21

"...for by the works of the Law no flesh shall be justified." Galatians 2:16

Law of Moses on obedience/righteousness

"Then it will be righteousness for us, if we are careful to observe all these commandments before the Lord our God, as He has commanded us." Deuteronomy 6:25

27Again, when the wicked man turneth away from his wickedness that he hath committed, and doeth that which is lawful and right, he shall save his soul alive. 28Because he considereth, and turneth away from all his transgressions that he hath committed, he shall surely live, he shall not die. Ezekiel 18: 27-28

Which concept does your religion agree with more?

JRMcC

"Then it will be righteousness for us, if we are careful to observe all these commandments before the Lord our God, as He has commanded us." Deuteronomy 6:25

27Again, when the wicked man turneth away from his wickedness that he hath committed, and doeth that which is lawful and right, he shall save his soul alive. 28Because he considereth, and turneth away from all his transgressions that he hath committed, he shall surely live, he shall not die. Ezekiel 18: 27-28

I agree with this more.

then Christ died needlessly."

So, maybe he did in some sense. Just sayin Paul.

wizanda

One Accepts All Religious Texts
Premium Member
People can try to be righteous, following what is right helps....So the commandments are a good starting point....No one 'earns' righteousness, God can see you as righteous for good action and character.

To paraphrase what Yeshua said, be righteous and at the end of it all, say we did what was expected...The idea of earning righteousness, is something Paul/Pharisees made up.

Deuteronomy 6 is about the Commandments that were in the previous chapter, and Ezekiel is about following what is lawful...It is easy to see why Paul undermined righteousness is only earned from following the Law of Moses; yet his method of making a covenant with Christ's death, is just wrong. :innocent:

Sleeppy

Fatalist. Christian. Pacifist.
No. All righteousness necessarily originates with God.. And, because righteousness is self-perpetuating, it must be a result of God's predetermination.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I think the two concepts refer to different things. Ezekiel speaks of life on Earth. Paul speaks of life with God. Life with God can be on Earth but need not be.

RedDragon94

Love everyone, meditate often
Paul on obedience/righteousness

"I do not nullify the grace of God, for if righteousness comes through the Law, then Christ died needlessly." Galatians 2:21

"...for by the works of the Law no flesh shall be justified." Galatians 2:16

Which concept does your religion agree with more?
Well, I like both. Both the Old and New Testaments teach repentance at the core. I guess the question is: Are people born sinful?

Simplelogic

No. All righteousness necessarily originates with God.. And, because righteousness is self-perpetuating, it must be a result of God's predetermination.
??? Then why would God tell us that we will be righteous if we follow His laws?

Simplelogic

I think the two concepts refer to different things. Ezekiel speaks of life on Earth. Paul speaks of life with God. Life with God can be on Earth but need not be.
So you believe Ezekiel means that if we follow the commandments we will be blessed on earth but go to hell afterwards?

Simplelogic

People can try to be righteous, following what is right helps....So the commandments are a good starting point....No one 'earns' righteousness, God can see you as righteous for good action and character.

So the LORD repaid me according to my righteousness, according to my cleanness in His sight. 2 Sam 22: 25

Men clearly earn their righteousness.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
So what happens to the men who headed Ezekiel's warning and returned to God and repented? Will they go to heaven?
I think they will. But I also think that some people love the life on Earth more than heavenly life and that is what will be their portion in the resurrection.....but of course, I don't know.

Simplelogic

I think they will. But I also think that some people love the life on Earth more than heavenly life and that is what will be their portion in the resurrection.....but of course, I don't know.
What about people who live righteously today but don't believe in Jesus?

RedDragon94

Love everyone, meditate often
Paul does teach original sin. The Hebrew scriptures do not. Nor do Jesus' letters teach the concept.
If there is no such thing as original sin then there is no need for repentance. (Yet the Old Testament states that if the people of Israel would turn from their wicked way and seek God that he would return to them.) Another thing is, a person cannot be considered righteous by what they do unless there are things that they would otherwise do that are not righteous.