• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Patrick Moore, co-founder of Greenpeace, has lost his marbles?

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
Did AOC propose banning fossil fuel?

No, nothing as black and white as that. Her opponents claim that the GND calls for eliminating cars and airplanes and cows and such. A few quotes from the actual resolution:

"achieve net-zero greenhouse gas emissions through a fair and just transition for all communities and workers;"

"by eliminating pollution and greenhouse gas emissions as much as technologically feasible;"

The phrase "as much as technologically feasible" occurs many times in the resolution.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
No, nothing as black and white as that. Her opponents claim that the GND calls for eliminating cars and airplanes and cows and such. A few quotes from the actual resolution:

"achieve net-zero greenhouse gas emissions through a fair and just transition for all communities and workers;"

"by eliminating pollution and greenhouse gas emissions as much as technologically feasible;"

The phrase "as much as technologically feasible" occurs many times in the resolution.
She needs training in how to influence people.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Without having to watch the video, can you elaborate on the misquotes?

He ignores the critical clause in the draft resolution which is repeated three times in H. Res. 109: as much as technologically feasible;

B) repairing and upgrading the infrastructure in the United States, including—
(i) by eliminating pollution and greenhouse gas emissions as much as technologically feasible;

(F) spurring massive growth in clean manufacturing in the United States and removing pollution and greenhouse gas emissions from manufacturing and industry as much as is technologically feasible,

(G) working collaboratively with farmers and ranchers in the United States to remove pollution and greenhouse gas emissions from the agricultural sector as much as is technologically feasible,

And there are other sections that say the same thing in different words:
to achieve net-zero greenhouse gas emissions through a fair and just transition for all communities and workers;

"net zero" means just that.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
He ignores the critical clause in the draft resolution which is repeated three times in H. Res. 109: as much as technologically feasible;

B) repairing and upgrading the infrastructure in the United States, including—
(i) by eliminating pollution and greenhouse gas emissions as much as technologically feasible;

(F) spurring massive growth in clean manufacturing in the United States and removing pollution and greenhouse gas emissions from manufacturing and industry as much as is technologically feasible,

(G) working collaboratively with farmers and ranchers in the United States to remove pollution and greenhouse gas emissions from the agricultural sector as much as is technologically feasible,

And there are other sections that say the same thing in different words:
to achieve net-zero greenhouse gas emissions through a fair and just transition for all communities and workers;

"net zero" means just that.
@icehorse said about the same thing as I did.

icehorse

Premium Member
Without having to watch the video, can you elaborate on the misquotes?

I'll just give you a taste. But really, it's worth watching. Faster for everyone, than having me transcribe it.

AOC said to critics of the GND: "You try. You do it. Cause you're not. Cause you're not. So until you do it, I'm the boss."

What her opponents quote is simply 'AOC said she's the boss'.

Now Moore starts out by saying: "In fact, the whole "climate crisis" - as they call it - is not only fake news, it's fake science. There is no climate crisis."

And he's just getting started..

icehorse

Premium Member
I think she knows a lot about influencing people. It's often the case that step 1 is to get people talking, she's certainly done that.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I think she knows a lot about influencing people. It's often the case that step 1 is to get people talking, she's certainly done that.
And she's moved the Overton Window - something I had never heard of before a couple of months ago. But to me it's a very useful concept.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Lol, I think she is being a lot more influential than you give her credit for.
I've noticed that people who believe that are those already fans of
her message, & so are willing to overlook her gaffes & awkwardness.
But is it influence when the choir likes the preacher?
Nah, they're already on the same side. And the choir doesn't appear
to be more motivated, nor are they doing anything differently.
(Note that even OAC is scorned for a not so green lifestyle.)
Real influence is when you sway the disaffected & the opposition.
How to do that?
Let's say you're addressing AGW skeptics, & even GW skeptics.
If you want to sell them on a set of policies, propose things which
mitigate GW, but have other strong benefits, eg, cleaner air & water,
energy security, national security, cheaper & better transportation,
cheaper & more convenient housing.
And if one is to sell a message of urgency, then one must also walk
the walk, eg, don't eat meat if you decry it, don't waste gas. It's basic PR.

icehorse

Premium Member
I've noticed that people who believe that are those already fans of
her message, & so are willing to overlook her gaffes & awkwardness.
But is it influence when the choir likes the preacher?
Nah, they're already on the same side. And the choir doesn't appear
to be more motivated, nor are they doing anything differently.
(Note that even OAC is scorned for a not so green lifestyle.)
Real influence is when you sway the disaffected & the opposition.
How to do that?
Let's say you're addressing AGW skeptics, & even GW skeptics.
If you want to sell them on a set of policies, propose things which
mitigate GW, but have other strong benefits, eg, cleaner air & water,
energy security, national security, cheaper & better transportation,
cheaper & more convenient housing.
And if one is to sell a message of urgency, then one must also walk
the walk, eg, don't eat meat if you decry it, don't waste gas. It's basic PR.

It seems implicit in your approach that you'd be addressing well intended, rational politicians. What's closer to the truth in DC is that she's addressing corrupt politicians.

icehorse

Premium Member
Back to the OP - I don't think Moore actually read the GND resolution. Either that or he's blatantly dishonest, because he's attacking ideas that simply are not in the resolution.

Shad

Veteran Member
Quite a rant here on Faux News:

Greenpeace co-founder tears into 'pompous little twit' Ocasio-Cortez's Green New Deal

(And as an aside: I think it's telling that AOC's enemies are SO blatant about misquoting her.)

No. He left GP as he saw, according to him, alarmists, Eco-fascists and those wishing to profit from alarmist taking over. AOC knows nothing about the subject but is an alarmist Moore hates.

He isn't misquoting her. Her plans might as well be written in crayon.

Riddle me this. How is the US going to force it's residents to remodel their homes? That is a detail left out of AOC plan.