• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pat Robertson: Divorce your wife if she has alzheimers

Skwim

Veteran Member
[youtube]_qt_JCnRdCQ[/youtube]
". . . and suddenly that person is gone! . . . They're gone!. . . They are gone!" Alzheimers: the new kind of death. But hey, it is Pat Robertson.

elmarna

O.K. Skwim we now feel like scratching our heads.
Just in the fact that there are people out there applauding his brilliance.

A

angellous_evangellous

I have been drinking - but it seems that in some twisted way Pat is trying to be compassionate. Unfortunately he has to be a hypocrite in order to practice compassion.

A reflecting person would be able to identify that as a problem.

blackout

Violet.
Marriage vows "for better for worse" "till death do us part"
are clearly participation in oath taking.
Doesn't it say somewhere in the NT not to take oaths?

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
I actually am not completely opposed to what he said.

I wouldn't like to judge someone for leaving a partner who is in that condition. People get divorced for a lot less.

If I were in that situation of being the person with Alzheimer, I would prefer that my loved ones were able to go on with their lives instead of being completely dependent on them. The most important thing at that point in my life would be that I am being taken care for- I am not sure that it would matter by who if I have no memories of the people I knew.

On the other hand, it saddens me that the love between husband and wife is often so weak. A parent would not abandon their child if this or something just as bad happened. So the part about not loving the person enough is what gets me down the most. But if the love really is weakened or gone to the point where the husband is seeing other people, then there's no good reason for him/her to stay legally married to the victim.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
So I guess using this rationale, any accident or illness which alters a spouse's ability to maintain the relationship is a good enough reason for divorce.

Where does Pat Robertson draw the line? Traumatic brain injuries? Coma? Stroke?

What happened to that vow to be faithful for better or worse, in sickness and in health?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
So I guess using this rationale, any accident or illness which alters a spouse's ability to maintain the relationship is a good enough reason for divorce.
Where does Pat Robertson draw the line? Traumatic brain injuries? Coma? Stroke?
What happened to that vow to be faithful for better or worse, in sickness and in health?
Robertson makes perfect sense.
Alzheimers isn't just any old "accident or illness"...it can be the complete loss of who the person once was.
If the mind of the loved one is gone, provide for her but move on.
It shouldn't ruin two lives.
If the old thinker turned to mush, I wouldn't want Mrs Rev being tied to a drooling Rutabaga that was once me.

Last edited: