• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pastor who stood up to police in viral video speaks out

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
Clarify what, exactly? I'm profoundly uninterested in demonstrating any theological bona fides to you.
OK :) Well... as they say in Christian circles... Jesus loves you and we do too! Or... in the Jewish circles, Shalom! :) (don't know what the Buddhists say)

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
Then you aren't looking :) Can't buy you a cup of coffee or give you a hug.

I don't need coffee or a hug from you.

You could start by not teaching your congregation gay sex will send them to an eternity of torture, though, or denouncing the terrible practice of "conversion" therapy. And by not voting against LGBT rights. That would be something.

Kenny

Premium Member
I don't need coffee or a hug from you.

You could start by not teaching your congregation gay sex will send them to an eternity of torture, though, or denouncing the terrible practice of "conversion" therapy. And by not voting against LGBT rights. That would be something.

Well... I can see you don't know me or my congregation. Nuff said. :) (another example of you espousing law while I am share love and grace.

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
Well... I can see you don't know me or my congregation. Nuff said. :) (another example of you espousing law while I am share love and grace.

Oh I'm sorry, so you don't teach that gay sex is a sin that will send you to Hell?

I'm not espousing law or grace. I don't fit in your paradigm.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Yes... I am aware of 13 states constitution that barred religious ministers from public office BECAUSE they had the higher calling of taking care of the souls (including politicians) which is not a principle of secularism. Secularism has a hybrid to suit their beliefs.
Religion can be a hornet's nest, and the founding fathers knew it.

Early settlers came for a variety of reasons, mostly economic, and a few religious -- though often not so much for religious freedom, but to set up their own little Taliban-style religious states, like the Massachusetts Bay Colony.
Remember, this was a period of intense and militant religiosity. The Thirty Years War was raging in central Europe during this period.

The founding fathers never forgot the European Religious wars, and were well aware of the various local religious fiefdoms, religious intolerance, mandatory church membership or attendance, tithes, church taxes, and so on, here at home.

The idea behind freedom of religion included freedom from religion.
Jefferson feared religion would corrupt the state. Madison feared the state would corrupt religion. It was decided to keep the two as separate as possible, to avoid the troubles everyone at the time was well aware of.

Religious wording of official documents was pretty much de rigueur in the 1700s. I wouldn't read any particular religious intent into it.

I'm surprised noöne's cited the Treaty of Tripoli yet (though it sounds like political propaganda, to me); ratified unanimously by the US Senate in 1797: "the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion."

Kelly of the Phoenix

Article 1, Section 1:
Although it is the duty of all men frequently to assemble together for the public worship of Almighty God; and piety and morality, on which the prosperity of communities depends, are hereby promoted; yet no man shall or ought to be compelled to attend any religious worship, to contribute to the erection or support of any place of worship, or to the maintenance of any ministry, against his own free will and consent;
Just FYI

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Is the government a church? Do they worry about practical things or saving souls?
Good point. A thousand years ago the church was the government, but today government concerns itself with practical, mundane matters, and, ideally, leaves concerns of the afterlife to religion.

Kenny

Premium Member
But that is a blatant lie of Paul’s because there ARE righteous people in the Bible unless THEY are lying.

I don't think so... in context. The context is comparing ones righteousness with that of God. Job was righteous but in the sense of generalities but not as compared to God (as his discussion with God would suggest)

Abraham was righteous... but he believed the in the Messiah who was to come to pay for the sin of mankind. Moses was righteous but he believed in the Messiah etc.

As the righteous prophet Isaiah said,
Isaiah 64:6
"But we are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags; and we all do fade as a leaf; and our iniquities, like the wind, have taken us away."