• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Parents and your world view

Otherright

Otherright
How did your parents influence your world view, especially that of religion? It is common that we adopt our parents’ world views, but this is obviously not always the case. I ask because of a response I made in a thread, and it made me wonder how your parents influenced your world view and religious views. Why do you see the world as you do, and how did they influence it?

My Mother’s Influence
As for me, my mother was Christian, but she was somewhat of a hippy. She was a language arts teacher, spoke fluent French, and was generally one of the wisest and most compassionate people I've ever met.

She taught us how to think, not what to think. In questioning God, she had her beliefs, but told us to explore possibilities. “That is something you will have to decide for yourself,” she would always tell us.

We would engage in long discussions on the nature of things, and she would introduce me to new ideas, and always quick with an adage. From her, I attribute my love of philosophy and theology, my ability to write and tell stories, and my obsession with linguistics. She cultivated my writing skill, well enough that I was first published at the age of twelve. I also attribute to her my Buddhist thought from the method of how she insisted on exploration to find ourselves.

Out of fear that I may become my father, my mother enrolled me in my first martial arts class. For years, I studied Tae Kwon Do, Tang Su Do, & Kung-fu. When I got to college, I boxed for two years. I’ve gone on to study Jujitsu, Krav Maga, and Aikido. I teach at an MMA gym on the side. The discipline and focus I learned by her decision, has lasted me a lifetime.

My Father’s Influence
This was more of a learning what not to do experience for me. My father was a brilliant man, holding degrees in psychiatry, mathematics, and theology. He was also completely insane. I’ve always likened him to Cyrus the Virus in Con Air.

I can remember walking into a blood-soaked bathroom at the age of five. I can remember delusional thought and dissociated talk. He beat someone’s skull in with a hammer and butchered a woman in front of her three children. He was schizophrenic and delusional and resides in a place for the criminally insane.

I’d say from him, I get my love of math. From him, I learned a need to be grounded in the real world; a place where Gods and myths don’t influence our thoughts to the point of delusion. From him, I attribute my Buddhist identity. Because of him, I am in the now. My focus is on what I can do to stop my suffering and the suffering of others. He, through his actions, heavily influenced my moral basis, at least in my mind.

The end result is a writer who loves science, math, theology, and language; a person who speaks German, Latin, Japanese and English (although only one well). A guy who is obsessed with the study of philosophy, neurology, and physics, views fighting as a sporting competition, and believes in reincarnation. That’s me in a nutshell… generalized, of course.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
My parents never discussed any religious views of their own until my late teens.
I grew up ignorant of organized religion. Lucky, eh?

Skwim

Veteran Member
They showed me that religion isn't necessary to lead a good, decent, and happy life.

Rakhel

My mother was a conspiracy theorist, and an agnostic. She encouraged me to question everything. We talked about many things.

My father didn't talk.

Songbird

She rules her life like a bird in flight
I can remember walking into a blood-soaked bathroom at the age of five. I can remember delusional thought and dissociated talk. He beat someone’s skull in with a hammer and butchered a woman in front of her three children. He was schizophrenic and delusional and resides in a place for the criminally insane.

Holy ****.

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
How did your parents influence your world view, especially that of religion? It is common that we adopt our parents’ world views, but this is obviously not always the case. I ask because of a response I made in a thread, and it made me wonder how your parents influenced your world view and religious views. Why do you see the world as you do, and how did they influence it?

My parents made me believe in God and Heaven, but I thought it was absolutely true, I was unaware about other religions, let alone I was unsure about a lot of things in the Bible.

Now I don't believe in the Bible and realize a lot more in the Bible than I did then.

My Mother’s Influence
As for me, my mother was Christian, but she was somewhat of a hippy. She was a language arts teacher, spoke fluent French, and was generally one of the wisest and most compassionate people I've ever met.

She taught us how to think, not what to think. In questioning God, she had her beliefs, but told us to explore possibilities. “That is something you will have to decide for yourself,” she would always tell us.

We would engage in long discussions on the nature of things, and she would introduce me to new ideas, and always quick with an adage. From her, I attribute my love of philosophy and theology, my ability to write and tell stories, and my obsession with linguistics. She cultivated my writing skill, well enough that I was first published at the age of twelve. I also attribute to her my Buddhist thought from the method of how she insisted on exploration to find ourselves.

Out of fear that I may become my father, my mother enrolled me in my first martial arts class. For years, I studied Tae Kwon Do, Tang Su Do, & Kung-fu. When I got to college, I boxed for two years. I’ve gone on to study Jujitsu, Krav Maga, and Aikido. I teach at an MMA gym on the side. The discipline and focus I learned by her decision, has lasted me a lifetime.

My Father’s Influence
This was more of a learning what not to do experience for me. My father was a brilliant man, holding degrees in psychiatry, mathematics, and theology. He was also completely insane. I’ve always likened him to Cyrus the Virus in Con Air.

I’d say from him, I get my love of math. From him, I learned a need to be grounded in the real world; a place where Gods and myths don’t influence our thoughts to the point of delusion. From him, I attribute my Buddhist identity. Because of him, I am in the now. My focus is on what I can do to stop my suffering and the suffering of others. He, through his actions, heavily influenced my moral basis, at least in my mind.

The end result is a writer who loves science, math, theology, and language; a person who speaks German, Latin, Japanese and English (although only one well). A guy who is obsessed with the study of philosophy, neurology, and physics, views fighting as a sporting competition, and believes in reincarnation. That’s me in a nutshell… generalized, of course.

<3 You are very lucky.

Charity

Let's go racing boys !
My parents expressed their beliefs to me but always allowed me to think for myself and make my own decisions.
The best advice my dad gave me was no matter what decision I was making if I had any doubts about it "wait". That has helped me through a lot of times when it kept me from rushing head on into a situation that would have been a disaster....;)

Otherright

Otherright
Holy ****.

Yeah, you know what the crazy thing is? To this day, I hate violence. I won't watch movies where a helpless person is subjected to torture or murdered.

But I will go to an event and yell things to my guys like:

"When he throws that right straight, slip left, throw the hook. Then tie him up while he's dazed."

Or, here's the best one...

"Get your effin' shoulder on the mat. Two hands on one. Roll out and hammerfist that mother-f'er. I'm going to go in there eff him up in between rounds." I said that while sitting right next to the state commissioner.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
My mother was an atheist until she was nearly 40 years old. My father was raised a Catholic, but I don't know if he is very religious. My stepfather (who I lived in the same house from age 9 until I left home at 20) was raised a Buddhist. My mother is 1/2 Italian, on her father's side and Jewish on her mother's side- but she was raised Catholic, since that is what her father was. I was raised without any religion at all.
I was raised as a liberal, an agnostic, etc. I became a Christian when I was 17.

A

angellous_evangellous

My mother

She read to me all the bible stories when I was a child, and I loved them. She is the more intellectual of my parents, and may be a reason why I'm so interested in women in the early church.

My father

He is a kind hearted working man, showing remarkable dedication to our church and the community. He has had at least four failed businesses but somehow it never ruined the family. He's obviously a terrible buisnessman -- I could not ever keep him from giving away all of his inventory to the less fortunate. I'm really proud of him for that, but it was devestating for him to lose everything because of it.

my grandparents where very catholic but very hypocrtical to their faith so it kinda made me question the idea of faith at a young age but i tried getting into mainstream religion and i just couldnt get into any of them and i would always find something i didnt like about religions, my parents wherent religious at all so i had an array of ideas in my head as a child

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
My Mother

She was a Catholic in the early years, and converted to Protestantism when she met my father. She was obsessed with the Bible, Jesus, and faith. Sadly (or luckily, or both) she was a "just in case" Christian, so later when I became nonreligious and attempted to discuss certain unsavory parts of the Bible, she couldn't answer. I respected her views because she did not blow off the issue, but instead answered "I don't know, and I have wondered this for years". She taught me to respect the "shock value" in all things, much to her dismay later.

My Father

An absolute "just in case" Christian if I ever met one. He grew up in a very traditional household...well, traditional in the sense of the woman is a cook, house cleaner, and mother and the man should work his hardest to support the family. He never really talked about religion when I was younger, and still doesn't mention it much (I have yet to even attempt a discussion). The most he would do in forcing Christianity on me was forcing me to go to church. He has always been tolerant and hard-working, which I guess I have picked up to some extent.

Songbird

She rules her life like a bird in flight
Yeah, you know what the crazy thing is? To this day, I hate violence. I won't watch movies where a helpless person is subjected to torture or murdered.

Wow, I bet. :(

But I will go to an event and yell things to my guys like:

"When he throws that right straight, slip left, throw the hook. Then tie him up while he's dazed."

Or, here's the best one...

"Get your effin' shoulder on the mat. Two hands on one. Roll out and hammerfist that mother-f'er. I'm going to go in there eff him up in between rounds." I said that while sitting right next to the state commissioner.

That just sounds fun. What kind of fighting is it?

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Father: Liberal Catholic. Open-minded but fairly uninformed about religion in general.
Mother: Syncretic and new-age.

In terms of religion, my mother influenced me slightly more than my father in my really young years, but over time my views on religion became distinctly distanced from both of them.