• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Parent of pupil against Halloween poem

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Italy. An English teacher told her pupils to learn a poem by heart, a poem about Halloween.
A Parent who was helping his own child do his homework found the poem inappropriate and wrote to the teacher

Dear Teacher,
I write you about the poem "Halloween Dance". I ask you to justify my son for not learning the poem by heart, for I think that witches, skeletons, ghosts, death scenes, corpses and coffins which characterize this "festival" do not contribute positively to the moral education of our children. Even if I deeply respect your role and know how important the subject you teach is, I feel , as a Christian and as educator of my children , the duty to protect them from that.
Thank you in advance for your understanding and I am available for further explanation.

EIMqG-zWwAAk6mP.jpeg.jpg

What do u guys think?

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
I write you about the poem "Halloween Dance". I ask you to justify my son for not learning the poem by heart, for I think that witches, skeletons, ghosts, death scenes, corpses and coffins which characterize this "festival" do not contribute positively to the moral education of our children.
Doesn't the Bible contain most of those things?

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
The Catholic Church has huge, gruesome crucifixion depictions. Halloween is small stuff for a seasoned Catholic.

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
Yeah indeed:p
Even worse
Yeah, I'd say their position wasn't entirely reasonable on that basis, but it also doesn't sound like the assignment is a serious one so much as it is a fun little Halloween-based distraction, so it's not a huge deal for her to say "I'm not comfortable with my child reading and learning this".

Then again, I don't want to go down the slippery slope of religious exemption from standard education. It's a tricky one.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
I came up against this when I was a teacher. Harry Potter was the book in question. Funnily enough, it wasn't like I was reading the book to the class. Just that kids were reading it independently in free reading time, and then delivering book reports on it.

Strangely, the same parent had no issue with the fact that I had to sit through religious education classes (which weren't 'religious' but instead 'Christian').

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
I should say, if a parent is respectful, and doesn't cause problems for the other kids, I'd have no problems setting a similar but different task for a child.

That could be for religious, cultural or simply preferential reasons.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
I should say, if a parent is respectful, and doesn't cause problems for the other kids, I'd have no problems setting a similar but different task for a child.

That could be for religious, cultural or simply preferential reasons.

Yes...I agree...
After all ..education here is surely secular and should promote Rationalism first....that is why a poem is totally harmless if teachers alltogether condemn things like occultism and esotericism

Darkforbid

There are quite a few 'Halloween Dance' poems, so the only ones I object to children learning to recite are the ones with 'dancing on graves'

Stanyon

WWMRD?
I agree...he should have understood that a poem is a poem.

I may post a link later but here in the states a 12 year old girl was arrested for pinching a boy's butt. The cops and the boy didn't want to do anything but the boy's mother wanted to press charges so they had no choice.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Italy. An English teacher told her pupils to learn a poem by heart, a poem about Halloween.
A Parent who was helping his own child do his homework found the poem inappropriate and wrote to the teacher

Dear Teacher,
I write you about the poem "Halloween Dance". I ask you to justify my son for not learning the poem by heart, for I think that witches, skeletons, ghosts, death scenes, corpses and coffins which characterize this "festival" do not contribute positively to the moral education of our children. Even if I deeply respect your role and know how important the subject you teach is, I feel , as a Christian and as educator of my children , the duty to protect them from that.
Thank you in advance for your understanding and I am available for further explanation.

View attachment 33968

What do u guys think?

I guess it depends where in Italy they are, the south and south west are centres of witchcraft.

Stanyon

WWMRD?
I guess it depends where in Italy they are, the south and south west are centres of witchcraft.

In Benevento a nut tree stands

I agree...he should have understood that a poem is a poem.

anyway here's the link to the butt pinching incident, didn't realize it was that old
12-year-old girl arrested for pinching boy's butt at school | abc7.com
It was shortly after Trump was elected so I guess we could say he is emboldening this type of behaviour.