• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pardons for rioters

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
My guess is if Trump threw more of his supporters under the bus -- and I believe he will do as he's done in the past (i.e. there will from time to time be more who go under the bus) -- that he will suffer no more consequences for it than he has always done.

Against that, of course, is the Huffington study that found a small, but possibly growing backlash against Trump. Maybe that will end up going somewhere.
You know, and I know, that Trump will throw anybody and everybody under the bus, when push comes to shove. I suspect (though this is guesswork) that would include members of his own family -- including his children. Trump is about Trump. He's never been about anything else. Six bankruptcies later, including thousands of hard-working people stiffed so that he could stay rich even though he totally screwed up. Well, what's more important -- families eating dinner or having gold toilets, I mean c'mon, eh?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
You know, and I know, that Trump will throw anybody and everybody under the bus, when push comes to shove. I suspect (though this is guesswork) that would include members of his own family -- including his children. Trump is about Trump. He's never been about anything else. Six bankruptcies later, including thousands of hard-working people stiffed so that he could stay rich even though he totally screwed up. Well, what's more important -- families eating dinner or having gold toilets, I mean c'mon, eh?

It goes against his own interests to help these people. Right now they can only use their pleas to Trump as evidence that Trump motivated them. If he pardons them they cannot "take the Fifth" if bought up in the Senate to testify at Trump's trial.

You are right, as far as Trump cares these people are toast.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I know you’re all sick and tired from hearing about these guys.
But this popped up on my Google feed and I was slightly bemused. Some people are apparently trying to get Trump to pardon them after they got arrested.
(Please note I’m not entirely sure if the site is something you have to pay for. I didn’t when I went there.)
'I’m facing a prison sentence': US Capitol rioters plead with Trump for pardons | US Capitol breach | The Guardian
How anybody in their right mind not realizing that assaulting the capital of this nation would carry a prison sentence is well, not in their right mind.

If your going to carry out an assault, it would be best to be adequately prepared first and foremost for a total victory.

Moral of the story...

Don't do the crime if you can't do the time.

1 percenters need not worry, your above the law.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
How anybody in their right mind not realizing that assaulting the capital of this nation would carry a prison sentence is well, not in their right mind.

If your going to carry out an assault, it would be best to be adequately prepared first and foremost for a total victory.

Moral of the story...

Karens gonna Karen, maybe??
I find that the general public is incredibly entitled. And that’s not a generational thing, either. It’s the one thing that unites us all as a people
(I kid I kid.)
But I don’t think there were many “bright” people at the riot. That’s just my opinion

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
My guess is Trump is likely will pardon them.

He would not be acting out of character to ignore them. Trump is loyal only to himself, and he often throws supporters under the bus, but there are political advantages to his pardoning them. Most people will disapprove, but his base will applaud -- and Trump almost never plays to any group outside his base.

One considerable disadvantage is a pardoned individual cannot plead the fifth. Prosecutors can put such people on trial and give them little real choice but to tell all. If Trump pardons his children and their spouses, that's the risk he takes.
If Trump does pardon them what impact do you think that will have on the upcoming impeachment trial? Will it make it more difficult for Trump distance himself from these insurrectionists? Can he still say these are not “true Trump supporters” if he pardons them?

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member

Moral of the story...

How could anyone in their right mind believe Trump won the election? How could anyone in their right mind believe the electoral college would ignore the election and just cast their votes for Trump? How could anyone in their right mind believe that the Vice President could just declare that he and Trump would remain in power regardless of the electoral vote?

“There's no use trying,” she said: “one can't believe impossible things.”

“I daresay you haven't had much practice,” said the Queen. “When I was your age, I always did it for half-an-hour a day. Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast.”

Last edited:

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
If Trump does pardon them what impact do you think that will have on the upcoming impeachment trial? Will it make it more difficult for Trump distance himself from these insurrectionists? Can he still say these are not “true Trump supporters” if he pardons them?

Now that's an interesting question! Thanks for thinking of it! I have no ready answer or even a sense or feel at this point for what impact it might have. But it's a great question.