• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Paramahamsa Yogananda's 'Autobiography of a Yogi'

danieldemol

Premium Member
Paramahamsa Yogananda's classic book 'Autobiography of a Yogi' available for free online reading...

Autobiography of a Yogi, by Paramhansa Yogananda - Free, Original 1946 Edition
I think our Christian friends who hold eyewitness testimony to be evidence of miracles should (if they be consistent in their claims) be most interested in chapter 32 where one of the devotees is raised from the dead Autobiography of a Yogi, by Paramhansa Yogananda - Free, Original 1946 Edition

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Too outlandish and fairy tale-like for my personal taste. Yet I think every author finds his audience. Much of what he writes would likely fall under New Age literature today, a mixture of mysticism and "modern" belief in science and progress. For an example see A prayer written by the dispensation for the Atomic Age

FWIW, I concur. He did find his audience, but it's just not Hindu enough for me. Just as I like my coffee black, I like my Hinduism with no additives.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
Too outlandish and fairy tale-like for my personal taste. Yet I think every author finds his audience.
Not for me. Having read Yoga Vasistha, a most revered Scripture in India, the sky is the limit for the spiritual giants. I agree, all find the author they need

Last edited:

ajay0

FWIW, I concur. He did find his audience, but it's just not Hindu enough for me. Just as I like my coffee black, I like my Hinduism with no additives.

How are these additives !

The yogic powers mentioned by Yogananda has also been mentioned in the ancient scriptures and displayed by Krishna, Shankaracharya, Gorakhnath, Buddha and Mahavira.

In the present times they have also been displayed by Anandamayi Ma, Shirdi Sai Baba, Ramakrishna, Guru Nanak and many others.

I have witnessed these exhibitions myself and hence don't consider it fantastic as some who have never witnessed it and merely read about it.

As a Japanese saying goes, ' One look is worth a thousand reports.'

The astral worlds (corresponding to heaven and hell ) have been mentioned in the ancient scriptures too, and many of the Hindu rituals performed after death has to do with life in the astral worlds. For example, rice offerings are given to crows, who are considered as messengers from the higher dimensions.

In the Mahabharatha too, heaven and hell is mentioned, and that each soul enjoys heaven and hell in varying proportions according to the karmas they have performed.

Yogananda just elaborated on these astral worlds as he put it, which has been mentioned already in the ancient scriptures. And he has also stated the same after his interview with his resurrected teacher.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
How are these additives !

The yogic powers mentioned by Yogananda has also been mentioned in the ancient scriptures and displayed by Krishna, Shankaracharya, Gorakhnath, Buddha and Mahavira.

In the present times they have also been displayed by Anandamayi Ma, Shirdi Sai Baba, Ramakrishna, Guru Nanak and many others.

I have witnessed these exhibitions myself and hence don't consider it fantastic as some who have never witnessed it and merely read about it.

As a Japanese saying goes, ' One look is worth a thousand reports.'

The astral worlds (corresponding to heaven and hell ) have been mentioned in the ancient scriptures too, and many of the Hindu rituals performed after death has to do with life in the astral worlds. For example, rice offerings are given to crows, who are considered as messengers from the higher dimensions.

In the Mahabharatha too, heaven and hell is mentioned, and that each soul enjoys heaven and hell in varying proportions according to the karmas they have performed.

Yogananda just elaborated on these astral worlds as he put it, which has been mentioned already in the ancient scriptures. And he has also stated the same after his interview with his resurrected teacher.

You're preaching to the choir.

ajay0

You're preaching to the choir.

There are many people from diverse cultures and nations which have shown their appreciation for the book such as Nobel laureate Thomas Mann, Beatle George Harrison, Jack Canfield, Steve Jobs and so on. I have no doubt that it has created a favorable imprint in the world consciousness and helped people throughout the world for the better.

Autobiography of a Yogi - Wikipedia

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
There are many people from diverse cultures and nations which have shown their appreciation for the book
#MeToo

And these kind of books/info are good to share. They are uplifting for human 'spirit'. These contribute to world peace, much more than all political tantrums the internet is poisoned with nowadays.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
There are many people from diverse cultures and nations which have shown their appreciation for the book such as Nobel laureate Thomas Mann, Beatle George Harrison, Jack Canfield, Steve Jobs and so on. I have no doubt that it has created a favorable imprint in the world consciousness and helped people throughout the world for the better.

Autobiography of a Yogi - Wikipedia

Indeed. Amazon reviews shows that.