• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pak woman principal sentenced to death for committing blasphemy

danieldemol

Premium Member
'A Pakistani court has sentenced to death a woman principal of a private school in Lahore for committing blasphemy, according to news agency PTI. Additional district and sessions judge Mansoor Ahmad observed that the accused, Tanvir, committed blasphemy by making derogatory remarks against Prophet Muhammad. The court also imposed a fine of PKR 5,000 ($29) on the accused.

The case dates back to September 2013 when Lahore Police booked Tanvir under Section 295C of the Pakistan Penal Code (PPC) based on the complaint of a local cleric. She was accused of denying the finality of Prophet Muhammad and claimed herself to be the Prophet of Islam.'

Source: https://www.hindustantimes.com/worl...for-committing-blasphemy-101632815004881.html

Shame on the power crazed cleric who brought this case to the attention of the police.

In my opinion.

epronovost

Wait they condemned her to death AND fined her $29? The death penalty for blasphemy is of course a travesty of justice, but adding to this tragedy there is the ridicule of a small fine.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Wait they condemned her to death AND fined her $29? The death penalty for blasphemy is of course a travesty of justice, but adding to this tragedy there is the ridicule of a small fine.
Obviously, the economy of Pakistan is so bad,
that a $29 fine ranks up there with execution.

We keep hearing that the Koran doesn't impose
death for apostasy & blasphemy. Yet these
theocracies keep imposing death for apostasy
& blasphemy. It must be a very flexible book.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
'A Pakistani court has sentenced to death a woman principal of a private school in Lahore for committing blasphemy, according to news agency PTI. Additional district and sessions judge Mansoor Ahmad observed that the accused, Tanvir, committed blasphemy by making derogatory remarks against Prophet Muhammad. The court also imposed a fine of PKR 5,000 ($29) on the accused.

The case dates back to September 2013 when Lahore Police booked Tanvir under Section 295C of the Pakistan Penal Code (PPC) based on the complaint of a local cleric. She was accused of denying the finality of Prophet Muhammad and claimed herself to be the Prophet of Islam.'

Source: https://www.hindustantimes.com/worl...for-committing-blasphemy-101632815004881.html

Shame on the power crazed cleric who brought this case to the attention of the police.

In my opinion.

After hearing stories like this, I wonder what would happen if a group of protesters went to a Pakistani embassy or consulate and started to blaspheme wildly. Would the people inside the embassy tear out their hair in frustration because they wouldn't be allowed to execute the blasphemers?

I recall a few years ago, after Muslim terrorists attacked a French newspaper for "blasphemy" because they drew a picture of Mohammed, there was some bunch in Texas who held a contest for people to draw Mohammed. They were practically daring anyone to come and attack them for it, but there were no takers.

epronovost

Obviously, the economy of Pakistan is so bad,
that a $29 fine ranks up there with execution.

We keep hearing that the Koran doesn't impose
death for apostasy & blasphemy. Yet these
theocracies keep imposing death for apostasy
& blasphemy. It must be a very flexible book.

It's indeed not in the Quran. The theocracies that impose such sentence on blasphemy quote a popular and rather ancient hadith from the time the Islamic Empire was growing. You can question Imams, prophets and even God as long as they are not in power. Then, it turns into a different game.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
It's indeed not in the Quran. The theocracies that impose such sentence on blasphemy quote a popular and rather ancient hadith from the time the Islamic Empire was growing. You can question Imams, prophets and even God as long as they are not in power. Then, it turns into a different game.
Islam is complicated.

Altfish

Veteran Member

In my opinion.
Blasphemy; a victimless crime

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
I'll wager that updated Islam will remain complicated.

It may be when "Oil " is no more a thing. and they have no more centres of wealth and influence. It will subside back into irrelevance to the rest of the world, as it was in the past few hundred years.

The "brainy" and "modern" followers of Islam, will no doubt become westernised and be centres for change.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
It may be when "Oil " is no more a thing. and they have no more centres of wealth and influence. It will subside back into irrelevance to the rest of the world, as it was in the past few hundred years.

The "brainy" and "modern" followers of Islam, will no doubt become westernised and be centres for change.
I don't see oil as such a big influence.
Nor do I see concentration of wealth & influence waning.

Aštra’el

Aštara, Blade of Aštoreth
I recall a few years ago, after Muslim terrorists attacked a French newspaper for "blasphemy" because they drew a picture of Mohammed, there was some bunch in Texas who held a contest for people to draw Mohammed. They were practically daring anyone to come and attack them for it, but there were no takers.

Actually a shooting did take place. The two gunmen were then shot down and killed.

ajay0

I think the lady principal accused of so-called blasphemy may be indeed mentally unsound. No one in their right minds would make such statements in fanatical Pakistan, where blasphemy convictions would mean deaths, often by mob lynching as well.

I think she should be evaluated by international psychiatrists and psychologists of quality standards to bring an objective analysis and determine the cause of her statements. It is possible that it can be a physiological issue translating into mental issues as well.

My theory is that she have been mentally unbalanced by the Taliban taking over Afghanistan, and the looming prospect of Taliban taking over Pakistan as well. Many pakistanis had celebrated the Taliban coming to power in Afghanistan.

I know for a fact that muslim women have great aversion to the taliban, especially its laws on severe repression of women. It is possible that the lady principal was mentally unhinged seeing the recent celebrations of Talibans victory in Pakistan, and was filled with anxiety regarding her own job and career as a woman. The taliban would forbid her working if they came to power in Pakistan too.

All this anxiety and worry may have mentally unbalanced her leading her to express herself as the last prophet of Islam, possibly out of desperation to emphasize her identity as a woman and feminine space in Islam.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I'll wager that updated Islam will remain complicated.
It's confusing in the same way updated Christianity is. Keep the good, "cut out" the bad, and for some reason hanging onto it anyways despite the bad just not being compatible with contemporary morality (an easy example is slavery, which most the world now condemns).
If you're not going to keep it all why follow at all?