• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pagan Proselytizing

firedragon

Veteran Member
Atheists and Satanists have contemplated proselytizing. This could be beneficial and fun. A great way to counter what normally happens.

Contemplated? Atheists have been proselytising for a long long long time. Recently they even advertised. I mean paid advertisements. They are probably the most prolific proselytisation movements in recent history and today.

I have seen some satanists proselytise, but not much. They just seem to be nice guys. Or girls.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
Who do you refer to as pagans?

Generally speaking, people who follow a polytheistic religion that predates Christianity. Some NeoPagans choose certain pantheons of deities(typically from a specific area) to worship in ways that were traditional in those areas, while others blend different traditions and worship Gods from many places in many ways.

We have Pagans on these boards, of course. Like, @The Hammer , @RayofLight , @Guitar's Cry (and all those others I forgot because I just rolled out of bed).

firedragon

Veteran Member
Generally speaking, people who follow a polytheistic religion that predates Christianity. Some NeoPagans choose certain pantheons of deities(typically from a specific area) to worship in ways that were traditional in those areas, while others blend different traditions and worship Gods from many places in many ways.

We have Pagans on these boards, of course. Like, @The Hammer , @RayofLight , @Guitar's Cry (and all those others I forgot because I just rolled out of bed).

Great thanks.

Anyway, those days anyone who was not a Jew was called pagan. It was just a reference like "the others".

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
Great thanks.

Anyway, those days anyone who was not a Jew was called pagan. It was just a reference like "the others".

I know that's how some Abrahamic folks tend to classify it, and how its used in their scriptures, but this is probably its more used meaning now in the parts of the world the OP(and many others in this thread) use it.

firedragon

Veteran Member
I know that's how some Abrahamic folks tend to classify it,

No. I am not talking about these so called "Abrahamic" religions. I just referred to the old usage of the word pagan. It was used for anyone who was not a Jew. That was like 2000 years ago. ;) But you are right. Now the meaning has changed. Meanings change all the time.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
What makes you think that this isn't already happening? Today, some leaders and citizens of nations from around the world appear to be inundated with ideas and beliefs that are contrary to the Abrahamic and Indian religions or paganism. However, the reality is that less than 1% of the world's population is considered pagan, this type movement would have little or no chance of succeeding for any length of time or span worldwide (in my opinion).

Just because you don't agree with it doesn't make it "pagan".

I'm talking about the modern Neopaganism movement only.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
I used to live as a pagan and ended up in rehab, hopeless, broke and alone. That’s where I called out to the Living God and He saved me. I have
Hope now and Eternal Life.

Choose this day and yeah share your hope.

I used to live as Catholic... But I ended up broke, hopeless, guilt/anxiety ridden, alone and in rehab.

That's when I gave in to the True Gods, and asked for their loving guidance.

It was then, that Odin reached out to me in the form of a large Raven, mentally took my hand, and let me know that I was loved and watched out for, and intimately known. As long as I followed Him closely, compassionately, and with honor. All would be well.

So there you go. I shared my hope and joy with you.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
Christians want to teach Christianity in schools, and lead entire assemblies of random kids (kids of all faiths) in prayer in the Christian bible, and prayers to the Christian God. They want to eliminate anything that would challenge Christian dogma (the universe is 6,000 years old, not 13.8 billion years old...and dinosaur bones can't be more than a few thousand years old) (meteors can't fall from God's perfect sky...scientists were tortured over this claim)(DNA proves evolution, so DNA and evolution can't be taught, but creationism must be taught).

Lacking the separation of church and state, Christians might achieve church in schools.

Yeah that's the problem I'd like to combat.

Viker

Häxan
What would you be willing to say about the other eight?
There's Cornijer, The Other, The Father and The Brother. These align with classic masculine divine energy and dark pagan gods

The there's Lucifer, Another, The Daughter and The Mother. They align with classic feminine divine energy and dark pagan goddesses.

Finally, there's The Many to the One... formless without gender representation or anything identifying a representation. Power, chaos and destruction. Destruction necessary for progression.

Many call these Devils. That's a fair assessment. They are not fluffy sweetness deities.

This brings about balance, harmony and enlightenment.

Working together as if one there is no hierarchy, not one in command above the rest. Yet, the most active and influential seems to be Cornijer...the most talkative. Classically referred to as the Devil, Satan, the Horned God and a bunch of other names.

The Other and Another seem to represent death and life cycles. The Mother and The Father, fertility and harvest. The Brother and The Daughter, renewal and beauty.

They all serve various purposes but can be interchangeable or utilized all at once.

Exaltist Ethan

Bridging the Gap Between Believers and Skeptics
I could see pagan proselytizing being an issue. It's really easy to convey the Christian argument. "Jesus loves you." Bam. Done. How do you do the same with paganism? "Zeus loves you and all the other Gods I believe in also love you too!" Maybe this could be shortened to, "The Gods love you." But what "Gods" would that be? Paganism is more than just simple polytheism and there's different pantheons of Gods whom one should respect. All in all this could be very confusing.

Viker

Häxan
I could see pagan proselytizing being an issue. It's really easy to convey the Christian argument. "Jesus loves you." Bam. Done. How do you do the same with paganism? "Zeus loves you and all the other Gods I believe in also love you too!" Maybe this could be shortened to, "The Gods love you." But what "Gods" would that be? Paganism is more than just simple polytheism and there's different pantheons of Gods whom one should respect. All in all this could be very confusing.
I don't think or know if we're serious in this tread. It's an idea. My own tradition is initiatory, esoteric, hermetic, etc. I don't believe I could actually make proselytizing work. :p

Exaltist Ethan

Bridging the Gap Between Believers and Skeptics
I don't think or know if we're serious in this tread. It's an idea. My own tradition is initiatory, esoteric, hermetic, etc. I don't believe I could actually make proselytizing work. :p

Then maybe proselytizing wouldn't work. I think what does work however is educating people on religion where and when polytheism and paganism was a thing. I clearly remember in my public school learning about different pantheon of Gods; Egyptian, Greek, Roman and Nordic. We don't need to tell people what to believe but inform them on what pagans believe. It is up to them after that to decide.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
Then maybe proselytizing wouldn't work. I think what does work however is educating people on religion where and when polytheism and paganism was a thing. I clearly remember in my public school learning about different pantheon of Gods; Egyptian, Greek, Roman and Nordic. We don't need to tell people what to believe but inform them on what pagans believe. It is up to them after that to decide.

I think, along with knowing what Pagans believe, knowing that there are people out there that still worship the Egyptian, Greek, Roman, Nordic(and other not mentioned) Gods is good for people to be aware of.

I remember my oldest son's teacher telling me about the mythology studies they were doing, and, with a smile telling him about our family's Paganism. He tried to stay collected, and then burst with excitement "really? That is so cool! I had no idea that was a thing!"

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan

"We won't guilt you to death" should suffice. ;-)

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/him/they/them
Christ came to me in a dream. He was carried by three men into an alley and beheaded. As he was beheaded, he looked directly at me and I felt an electric shock hit me. I was hit with a sudden, intense sympathetic connection with Christ. Since then, I've interpreted the myth of Christ from a personal, mystical perspective that has added special meaning to my own spiritual path
I find it interesting Christ despite being a pagan. I have a view of him many Christians don't and he is a deity I respect just dont really worship. Ive left him offerings on my altar and I've left offerings to his Father apologizing for insulting him. I find tho im not a christian a less literal interpetation is very nice in regards to Christianity and it was the help of a christian witch friend that I've started respecting Jesus as a deity. I don't worship him but i do respect him.

Strangely ive mentioned to a group of christians I left offerings to their god on another site. Everywhere else christians have told me that they felt jesus wouldnt mind it. But this group was insulted by it. You'd think they'd realize if their god is truly loving it wouldnt matter to him who honors him christian or not. But for some reason they didnt like this and refused to talk to me after that.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
It's a way better religion. Can you imagine how peaceful things would be with more pagans and fewer bully pulpit types?