• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pagan Proselytizing

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
Should the Neo-Pagan religions take a page out of the Christian playbook, and begin an assertive (non-aggressive), conversion campaign, as well as running for and winning political office?

I say yes.

It's about time we pushed back against the monotheistic majority.

Edit: Howl if your with me.

Last edited:

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
Should the Neo-Pagan religions take a page out of the Christian playbook, and begin an assertive (non-aggressive), conversion campaign, as well as running for and winning political office?

I say yes.

If that happened, then I imagine conservative evangelical Christians would lose their ever-loving minds. I can also see Trump, his loyal GOP lapdogs, and prominent evangelical leaders (Franklin Graham, Pat Robertson) playing to the fear of pagans taking America to hell in a handbasket. There would be widespread weeping and gnashing of teeth among the GOP. "Praise God and pass the ammunition!"

Last edited:

Viker

Häxan

I say yes.

Edit: Howl if your with me.

You just had to edit the original OP. If you'd thrown in Wardruna at first, this would have won.

Viker

Häxan
If that happened, then I imagine conservative evangelical Christians would love their ever-loving minds. I can also see Trump, his loyal GOP lapdogs, and prominent evangelical leaders (Franklin Graham, Pat Robertson) playing to the fear of pagans taking America to hell in a handbasket. There would be widespread weeping and gnashing of teeth. "Praise God and pass the ammunition!"
It's "Hel in a hand basket". :D

Viker

Häxan
Atheists and Satanists have contemplated proselytizing. This could be beneficial and fun. A great way to counter what normally happens.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
If that happened, then I imagine conservative evangelical Christians would love their ever-loving minds. I can also see Trump, his loyal GOP lapdogs, and prominent evangelical leaders (Franklin Graham, Pat Robertson) playing to the fear of pagans taking America to hell in a handbasket. There would be widespread weeping and gnashing of teeth among the GOP. "Praise God and pass the ammunition!"

That's why we don't just jump into the frey head long. But circle the pack, grassroots style. Push from the bottom up.

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
I am for it if it is done defensively. I find proselytizing hard to spell, er...I mean tend to leave a bad taste in a lot of people's mouths and I've heard a lot of folks say they appreciate the lack of preachiness in paganism.

Admittedly I've been tempted to do it where someone starts proselytizing to me.

"Do you know Jesus?"

"I sure do! Do you know the Great Horned God? Here's a pamphlet!"

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
That was fast. Its only been around 60 years since neopaganism began here in the 'states. If the movement improves the public peace and promotes a better union then go for it.

I don't think of atheists as pagans, but they are sort of chilled and neutral about neopagans. I could see how neopagans wouldn't see them as a threat to their religion. More like candidates for conversion perhaps.

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/him/they/them
I am for it if it is done defensively. I find proselytizing hard to spell, er...I mean tend to leave a bad taste in a lot of people's mouths and I've heard a lot of folks say they appreciate the lack of preachiness in paganism.

"Do you know Jesus?"

I've actually done that lol. Christian tried to preach to me. I said hmmm... Do you wish to hear about the Satanic Temple? I can print you out a pamphlet they have it on the website....

Apparently they didn't want to hear about it!:confused:
I was quite disappointed I had so much to say!

Sirona

Hindu Wannabe

I say yes.

Well, one thing about the monotheistic majority and groups from polytheistic religions that try to emulate them is that they often focus on just one god or just one charismatic leadership figure. It's a bit hard to convince someone to worship Ares when they prefer to worship Aphrodite.

Another problem I see, especially in Europe, is paganism (justifiedly or unjustifiedly) attracting nationalist or chauvinistic people, so the crowd you might attract by pagan proselityzing might be a group you normally may not like to be friends with.

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/him/they/them
Honestly it may not be the first time a pagan religion tried to convert folk. I haven't check the historical accuracy so it could be wrong but I heard from someone around the time Christianity was starting another religion was forming. The Cult of Isis. And they were into converting people from what I've heard.

But one religion was destined to fade and not last while the other was to grow to be the largest religion with time. The cult of Isis faded while Christianity bloomed.

I see no issue with some neopagans trying to convert folk as long as they are respectful and don't try to force conversion. They also should not try to convert when someone says they don't want to follow paganism. And I dont think they should prey on emotions like some christians do.
Just be respectful. That's all i would want folk to do.

Mark Charles Compton

Pineal Peruser

"Do you know Jesus?"

From what I've heard...
screen-0.jpg

...this guy can show you da way.
In fact, I wonder if this is the guy you're talking about attempting to doing the unkempt thing of tempting you... ;)

Native

Free Natural Philosopher & Comparative Mythologist

I say yes.
Me-too - if you mean the Christian dogmatism and the Christian lack of caring for nature and all life.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
Well, one thing about the monotheistic majority and groups from polytheistic religions that try to emulate them is that they often focus on just one god or just one charismatic leadership figure. It's a bit hard to convince someone to worship Ares when they prefer to worship Aphrodite.

Another problem I see, especially in Europe, is paganism (justifiedly or unjustifiedly) attracting nationalist or chauvinistic people, so the crowd you might attract by pagan proselityzing might be a group you normally may not like to be friends with.

Potentially a problem yes. Nationalist elements are unfortunately a part of the European Pagan movement (and parts of the US).

The proselytizing wouldn't be to convince someone who believes in Ares to follow Aphrodite, per se. But about building a wall of ideals that many groups can support and gather behind in their own ways: Wisdom, Piety, Vision, Courage, Integrity, Perseverance, Hospitality, Moderation, and Fertility, as an example of a set of ideals.

Then you using the phrase Gods, where needed to avoid specifying anyone in particular.

Last edited: