• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Over the counter fat burners and diet pills

Riders

What exactly do they do, are they effective. I found some good articles on one specific fat burner, I might try it. Do they work?

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
I'm not sure how I feel about the over the counter stuff. I'd rather a doctor prescribe something more effective which I have seen them do, because even the effective stuff isn't always perfect from what I can see.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
What exactly do they do, are they effective. I found some good articles on one specific fat burner, I might try it. Do they work?
They're all junk. Snake oils and false hopes. It's even not unusual for one to occasionally be pulled off the market because they are that bad for people. They are also not regulated by the FDA. They basically do nothing that is actually required for weight loss, unless they are of the more powerful formulas and chemicals. But those are those ones that typically get pulled (such as causing heart problems due to containing ephedrine). Or in the case of one my dad tried (and a bunch of his Chrysler friends), it can give you a bad case of diarrhea.
Overall, they are better at preying upon people's desperation and reluctance to make lifestyle changes than they are at achieving weight loss.

Riders

The probem with that is the last time I did it Ihad to quit taking my psych meds so.

Riders

They're all junk. Snake oils and false hopes. It's even not unusual for one to occasionally be pulled off the market because they are that bad for people. They are also not regulated by the FDA. They basically do nothing that is actually required for weight loss, unless they are of the more powerful formulas and chemicals. But those are those ones that typically get pulled (such as causing heart problems due to containing ephedrine). Or in the case of one my dad tried (and a bunch of his Chrysler friends), it can give you a bad case of diarrhea.
Overall, they are better at preying upon people's desperation and reluctance to make lifestyle changes than they are at achieving weight loss.

I might try one for a week Ill let you know.

Riders

The thing is according to Dr Now from My 600 lb life show says the obesity surgery does only one thing appetite control which is what diet pills do yet every on this planet has told me to get the magical operation that magically cures me.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
The thing is according to Dr Now from My 600 lb life show says the obesity surgery does only one thing appetite control which is what diet pills do yet every on this planet has told me to get the magical operation that magically cures me.

My sister is 5'3 and was over 350lbs, and got the 'magic surgery'. It did help; it happened over a year(maybe two?)ago now... She lost a good bit of weight. Is she a skinny mini now? No. She's still quite big, still obese. But she did shed over 100 lbs.

It made it very hard for her to eat much for a long time. It did not kick the cravings, or kick up the desire to exercise. It also didn't work magically. After a time, she was able to stomach more food, so there is the chance that one who has the surgery can undo it all.

There really is no cure... There are things that help, and things that don't, and they vary from person to person, based on that person's physical constitution and reasons why they retained so much weight to begin with. It's really a tough thing, no matter what route you take(or don't).

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Medications that control appetite are generally and typically stimulants. Definitely discuss this with your doctor, especially if medications was a prior concern regarding this.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
It made it very hard for her to eat much for a long time. It did not kick the cravings, or kick up the desire to exercise. It also didn't work magically. After a time, she was able to stomach more food, so there is the chance that one who has the surgery can undo it all.
My dad lost a bunch of weight after it and then put it all back on. Because he basically starved for awhile until he was able to eat more, and his dietary choices still are unhealthy which also contributed to his weight regain.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
If it's relevant, one thing I will say is that my doctor got really hard on me quite awhile back about losing weight. And I hated it. But I ended up losing weight naturally, am happier, and it's probably setting me on a course to kind of save my life.

Eyes to See

Regulate your caloric intake. If you can't or don't want to do exercise at least try walking 30-45 minutes a day. That should do the trick. Less carbohydrates in your diet.

There are natural things you can take to help you lose your weight and increase your metabolism. MTC oil, especially on a low carb diet. Freshly squeezed limes. Vinegar in water.

If you really want to take your metabolism to the next level of burning do anaerobic exercises. That will elevate your metabolism and keep it going all day and night. Things like lifting weights. But lift so you can only do 8-10 reps. A really good all around free no equipment, do anywhere anaerobic exercise that helps with all the core muscles is burpees. Probably the best single exercise you can do. These things will kick your butt and whip you into shape and shred the fat off of you.

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac

Wishing you all the best in your quest for a healthier body. Can be a real challenge with so many "experts" and their well-meaning advice.

Hope this little article gives some help - it's usually good advice at this site about all aspects of mental & physical well-being

How to Lose Weight and Keep It Off - HelpGuide.org

Enjoy your day!

Jesster

Friendly skeptic
Premium Member
My tip: Get a dog!

Dogs need regular walks. If you keep up with them, they'll at least keep you active. It might not be immediate magical weight loss, but it helps with the motivation. Of course a dog is also a big commitment. Only get a dog if you are able to really care for one.