• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Over 50% of the UK has no religion poll suggests

Altfish

Veteran Member
Oh, and quoting Bible verses does not impress non-believers, 2000-year old middle eastern ramblings have little relevance in the 21st century world; if I quoted Dawkins or Harris would you be impressed?

DavidFirth

Oh, and quoting Bible verses does not impress non-believers, 2000-year old middle eastern ramblings have little relevance in the 21st century world; if I quoted Dawkins or Harris would you be impressed?

Rev. 22:11
Let the one who does wrong continue to do wrong; let the vile person continue to be vile; let the one who does right continue to do right; and let the holy person continue to be holy.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Why are people turning away from religion?.
I think it's more along the line that people are turning away, especially in the west, against traditional religions. Most still say they still believe in God but w/o "definition", nor the supposed necessity of belonging to an organized religion.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

Many factors, technology brings people closer to science which has evidence to back it up as opposed to bronze age stories which for the most part, don't. Improvements in education give people the confidence and independence to ask questions and analyse, in the case of religion the answers are just not feasible. Extremism/radicalism in religion (not just Islam but Jewish and christian cause their fair share of terror) is turning people away en masse. Proselytising is enough to turn anyone off. Life itself is becoming more intense with less time to to dedicate to observance. The younger generations are feeling this pressure more.

In general, religion is out of date and shows no inclination to catch up with the world.

Also note that its not just the UK, parts of Europe is going the the way, some countries surpassing the UK. Its interesting that religion is declining in america too, down 8% in 7 years.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Was Jonah ' eaten ' or just temporarily swallowed by that BIG not-named fish.
According the Matthew it was a whale, and it wouldn't matter anyways, as no one could survive that long in such a situation. There aren't many whales or fish that can actually swallow a human whole, and it involves teeth when they can, and digestive juices after that, plus the fact there would be no oxygen to breath.
I recall an old news clipping ( should have kept it ) about a man back in the 60's who was swallowed by a BIG fish and survived. In the picture he looked bleached like snow but he was alive.
If this happened, he wasn't in there for three days and three nights. Much like all of the many different human languages coming from the same place, the story of Jonah didn't happen and it couldn't have happened. All evidence clearly points to these things just being stories.
People can easily poke holes, so to speak, in the teachings of Christendom, because they think they are poking holes in Scripture. In reality I find they are finding holes in church customs or church traditions outside of Scripture but are just being taught as being Scripture, and they have No interest in finding out otherwise.
There's also plenty in the Bible to poke holes in. Slavery is evil, but permissible in the Bible. Abortion is opposed by many Christians, but in the Bible god commanded in a few times on a massive scale. There are several crimes--such as working on the Sabbath and being a rebellious child or having sex with someone of the same sex--that mandate the death. Do unto to others is not thought out any further than "I." It says nothing good can ever come from someone who doesn't believe in god, and it calls such people fools. Pi does not equal three, out of season fruit is not produced when it's out of season (which is why they call it "out of season," there was nothing wrong with the tree, it was just operating as god designed it), slinging any type of blood for any reason is never a good idea, and Jesus wants me killed in his presence for not wanting him to reign over me.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Let the one who does wrong continue to do wrong; let the vile person continue to be vile; let the one who does right continue to do right; and let the holy person continue to be holy.
Then why, oh why, oh why do so many Christians get all so worked up over allowing birth control, and abortions, and same-sex marriage/adoptions, and drug usage, and language, and not believing in god, and so many other things they incessantly butt-in over when it comes to other people's lives, to the point of demanding laws to make their ways enforced upon all?

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Consumerism, hedonism, post-modern deconstructionism, breakdown of the family as a source of tradition, religious scandals in the media, most people not being very educated when it comes to theology (religion is being equated with harsh fundamentalism across the board), not having the time to practice religion even if you want to due to work, lack of good religious leaders to look up to in society, etc.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Consumerism, hedonism, post-modern deconstructionism, breakdown of the family as a source of tradition, religious scandals in the media, most people not being very educated when it comes to theology (religion is being equated with harsh fundamentalism across the board), not having the time to practice religion even if you want to due to work, lack of good religious leaders to look up to in society, etc.

Hmmm...
You have a very negative take on why people are moving away from religion.
Whilst I would agree that the reasons you have given do play a part, there are also more positive factors at play.

I wouldn't consider myself religiously uneducated, or a hedonist, for example, and I live in about as good an approximation of a 'white-picket fence' nuclear family as you're likely to find.

Altfish

Veteran Member
"He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy" - Monty Python, Life of Brian

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
Because people prefer to do things their own way rather than acknowledge God's love. The devil is very effective in his work and will one day deceive the whole world into following him.

Or they started to wonder how kangaroo's made it to noahs ark and similar stories from the scriptures.
Being able to question religion without being Punished for it it a big factor.

Altfish

Veteran Member
Why do people put a connection between non-belief and the likes of "Consumerism, hedonism, post-modern deconstructionism, breakdown of the family as a source of tradition..."?
I'm an atheist, yes I spend money but I know religious people who spend a whole lot more on 'consumerism'; hedonistic??Can you be hedonistic at 62? Not sure I know what "Post-modern deconstructionism" is; breakdown of the family...my family is all together, I've been married almost 40-years, my Mum and Dad have been married over 60. It has nothing to do with religion.
Religious scandals are certainly a factor especially when it is the same people who are trying to claim the moral high ground.
Have we ever been well educated in theology? I was talk the gospels at school, today I do lessons in Humanism as part of the Religious Education curriculum; I would say that today's teaching is far better than anything I ever received.
People will make time to practice their religion if they feel the need. Work hours today are a lot less than 100-years ago.
Lack of good religious leaders...well has there ever been any good ones. Today religious leaders are open to scrutiny and it is at that point that they show the weakness of their beliefs and teachings.

Altfish

Veteran Member
Because people prefer to do things their own way rather than acknowledge God's love. The devil is very effective in his work and will one day deceive the whole world into following him.
You do realise that atheists don't believe in the Devil either?