• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Our Virtual Ashram

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
As much as I think I'd like to participate, that would trigger social anxiety in me on an unprecedented scale. :eek:

Too big of a crowd ... absolutely nobody would notice you. For me, I just couldn't handle the length of the walk in physically. Maybe you and I could go, and you could pick-a-back me in exchange fro me calming your social anxiety.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I too do not go to crowded temples. The vibes are not there, between me and Me.
It was a good time at kumbha for some to make money. Rs.700 for taking a person from the site to city, I read somewhere. Unthinkable at other times, one could travel to Delhi for the same money.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
It's amazing what you find when surfing the web. :D The temple is featured in Wikipedia. Pretty cool.

upload_2019-3-18_13-38-49.png

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Holi over. This time hevily politicized, National elections next month. Waiting for 'Navruz', Kashmiri New Year next month - not on the day of vernal equinox like the Iranians. But then, they have kept to the old Aryan tradition.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Bye, friends; off to South and Dosas and fish.

Kerala?

We went to Holi tonight. I took my Delhiite to the local North Indian temple. A first for me, and I think he enjoyed it. Some temples hear move festival dates to the nearest weekend.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
The temple here doesn’t do Holi at all. I wish they did. My coworker went to her temple/cultural center with the kids.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Our goshala herd is growing. I saw five today. I think there are two bulls. They were in a separate paddock from the other three. The stated intent is to use milk only from the herd for abhishekams.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
It looks like fun. I saw a picture of two NYC cops in uniform splattered with colors.
My renter is quite shy, so I did reach into a stranger's bag of colour and smear him pretty good. It's all fun, and people do respect their distance if it appears you don't want it all over your clothes. People were wearing old clothes though. We were really lucky with weather, about +5 C. It could be -20 this time of year still.

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Yeah, Vinayaka. Kumargom (I think it derives from Kumara gramam), Kochi and Mangalore.
Thiruvanakkarar Pooram (Mahaveda temple) - 14 kms. from Kumaragom

Thirunakkara-pooram-2018-Live-Coverage.jpg

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
An interesting photo which I had not seen earlier, quite old. My elder grandson (Aradhya) and that of my brother (Saksham). We recently celebrated Aradhya's 16th birthday. He has appeared for his 10th grade examinations.

22149_1303452072937_5908825_n.jpg

And this is my grand daughter with her mother and father (also a Dentist). She has now completed her Dentistry course and is completing her (1 year) internship. We had gone to South India for this occasion.

55515108_10219292547251001_7643413526123380736_n.jpg

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Hindu New Year Day today. Happy New Year.

Solar or Lunar calendar Date Festival name Religion / Regions (Hindu)
Lunar varies, Mar/Apr Ugadi Andhra Pradesh, Telangana, Karnataka
Lunar varies, Mar/Apr Bighu Jharkhand
Lunar varies, Mar/Apr Pratipada Uttar Pradesh
Lunar varies, Mar/Apr Bikhu Uttarakhand
Lunar varies, Mar/Apr Gudhi Padwa / Samsaar Padwo Maharashtra, Goa, Konkan
Lunar varies, Mar/Apr Cheiraoba Manipur
Lunar varies, Mar/Apr Navreh Kashmir
Lunar varies, Mar/Apr Navratra Jammu
Lunar varies, Oct/Nov Nav Varas Gujarat
- - Navratra Rajasthan
Lunar varies, Mar/Apr Cheti Chand Sindh

Solar fixed, April 13/14/15 Vaisakhi Punjab
Solar fixed, April 13/14/15 Rongali Bihu Assam
Solar fixed, April 13/14/15 Tamil puthandu Tamil Nadu
Solar fixed, April 13/14/15 Vishu Kerala
Solar fixed, August 15/16/17 First day of Chingam in Malayalam Calendar (Kollam Era) Kerala
Solar fixed, April 13/14/15 Bishuva Sankranti Odisha
Solar fixed, April 13/14/15 Poila Boishakh Bengal
Solar fixed, April 13/14/15 Jud Sheetal Mithila, part of Bihar

Solar varies, Aug 17,18,19[3] Nowruz Parsis
Solar Fixed, March 21 Nowruz[4][note 1] Zoroastrians

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Also the beginning of the spring 'Navaratra', nine-day worship of the Mother Goddess Durga in her nine forms. No non-veg, no onion, garlic (not even to keep them in the house). My son in law, otherwise a lover of non-veg and drinks, would subsist only on fruit diet.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
They finally settled for "Mohammad Modi".

Anopther topic: What an impressive name:
Paththamperuma Arachchige Don Lakshan Rangika Sandakan (PADLR Sandakan - Sri Lanka cricketer)
Generally addressed as Lakshan Rangika.
263671.1.png

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Another long Srilankan name:
Chandradasa Brahammana Ralalage Lahiru Sudesh Kumara (CBRLS Kumara), Srilanka A Right-arm Fast Bowler.
257064.1.jpg
Lahiru Krmara
Yet another:
Gampalage Shehan Naveendra De Fonseka Gunawarna Jayasuriya (GSNFG Jaysuriya), Batsmen (Century).
219263.jpg
Shehan Jayasuriya

Last edited: