• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Our Virtual Ashram

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Cricket ... the religion of the common man.

In the meantime, next week will be the Mahakumbabhishekam of a Murugan temple in Calgary, Alberta, Canada. In progress for well over 20 years now, the grand opening, and eye opening (pranaprathishta) is set for next Friday, a week from today. A 2.5 hour drive from here, we're going for the last couple of days.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Interesting long names in Tamilnadu and Sri Lanka. Normally the long Tamil names have four preceding initials, Sri Lankans have five. :)
Nice to hear About Kumbhabhishekam in Calgary.
Let me see what is hppening in India. We just had Vat Savitri Vrata on June 3rd. . Important festival for welfare of the husband. Same day for Shani Jayanti. Probably there is a connection between the Story of Savitri and Shani. I will check.

vrat_savitri_2019_1559489074.jpg

vat-savitri-vrat-2019.jpg

vat-savitri-644x362.jpg

Older the tree, more venerable is it.

Ganga Dashmi on June 12th and Nirjala Ekadashi on 13th when it might be the hottest.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Dosas. I tried them for the first time tonight. Amazing!! So, India's answer to crepes?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Dosas. I tried them for the first time tonight. Amazing!! So, India's answer to crepes?
15 years ago my city had no place to buy dosas. If you wanted good ones, you had to get invited to a South Indian or Sri Lankan home. But then it was one restaurant, then 2, and now it's almost half the Indian restaurants. The North Indian guys want to compete, so when they see their neighbour South Indian restaurant really busy, they spy. Soon enough dosas are on their menu too.

In Toronto there is a place called Dosarama, stealing the name from Dollarama. Many bigger temples like the Ganesha temple in NYC or the Balaji temple in Chicago sell dosas in the canteen. We had some in the Novi Venkateswara temple.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
>> Kashmir done, Article 370 and 35 A, both. Modi/Shah/Rawat/Doval roller on. A great day for Hindu Kashmiris which we were waiting for all this time. <<

>> More to Kashmir: Kashmir to be divided in to two parts: Ladakh to be administered by Center, and Jammu & Kashmir to be a union territory like Delhi with an assembly, chief minister and a Lt. Governor from the Center. Kashmir autonomy and special state status, Kashmir Constitution, Kashmir flag in the dustbin of history. <<

Modi jaisa koi nahin (No one like Modi). :)

Last edited:

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
So yeah, I got carjacked tonight coming out of temple. :eek:

Well, I wouldn't call it "carjacked", really. I just thought that sounded delightfully melodramatic. :D

I'm in the shoe room, just about to leave and the two musicians got my attention. After some seconds of me looking at them like a deer in the headlights because I speak only two words of Tamil (literally, just vanakkam and nandri), and clearly their English is... well, non-existent, they got the point across: would I be able to give them a ride? They did manage to get "Texas Road" across to me. It's the road right outside one of the two temple entrances. It's not a long road, so I knew I wouldn't be gone for days.

I said of course. So we walked to the truck, put the instruments in the back and piled in. The one guy said "canteen". That was the first stop on the itinerary, and I came to understand why. Then he said whatever "right" is in Tamil and pointed because we were to turn right and stop. Then he pointed left and said whatever "left" is in Tamil and stop. Of course I'm saying "oh you want to turn left?", forgetting the man doesn't speak a word of English! So we resorted to hand signals. Just like in the days before blinker lights and we had to stick our hands out the window to signal. These little steps were his way of giving directions. Pretty ingenious if you ask me. See, humans really can communicate if they want to. Oh, it wasn't an "Algonquin round table of snappy repartee" (a line from The Martian), but it would do.

As it turned out it was just a short stone's throw from the temple to the house. They got the instruments out, I wanted to help, but I got sign language that clearly meant "no, no, thank you, we got it". There was mucho namaskar back and forth, and several "nandri". Of course this idiot here is still rambling in English "you're welcome, glad to help, any time". I'm hopeless. :D

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Your post could have earned many types of likes, funny, friendly, winner; but only one type is allowed, so, Optimistic.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
So yeah, I got carjacked tonight coming out of temple. :eek:

Well, I wouldn't call it "carjacked", really. I just thought that sounded delightfully melodramatic. :D

I'm in the shoe room, just about to leave and the two musicians got my attention. After some seconds of me looking at them like a deer in the headlights because I speak only two words of Tamil (literally, just vanakkam and nandri), and clearly their English is... well, non-existent, they got the point across: would I be able to give them a ride? They did manage to get "Texas Road" across to me. It's the road right outside one of the two temple entrances. It's not a long road, so I knew I wouldn't be gone for days.

I said of course. So we walked to the truck, put the instruments in the back and piled in. The one guy said "canteen". That was the first stop on the itinerary, and I came to understand why. Then he said whatever "right" is in Tamil and pointed because we were to turn right and stop. Then he pointed left and said whatever "left" is in Tamil and stop. Of course I'm saying "oh you want to turn left?", forgetting the man doesn't speak a word of English! So we resorted to hand signals. Just like in the days before blinker lights and we had to stick our hands out the window to signal. These little steps were his way of giving directions. Pretty ingenious if you ask me. See, humans really can communicate if they want to. Oh, it wasn't an "Algonquin round table of snappy repartee" (a line from The Martian), but it would do.

As it turned out it was just a short stone's throw from the temple to the house. They got the instruments out, I wanted to help, but I got sign language that clearly meant "no, no, thank you, we got it". There was mucho namaskar back and forth, and several "nandri". Of course this idiot here is still rambling in English "you're welcome, glad to help, any time". I'm hopeless. :D
Thavil and nadaswaram?

Interesting coincidence for us then. Last Thursday was a morning off for the two here, second last day of Brahmotsavam, and myself and another reg have established a little tradition of taking them out for lunch. So off we go to the regular Tamil dosa place, and they get special treatment, order whatever they want not on the menu, and get it.

Then they want to go look at used ipads, so off we go to a pawn shop nearby. I learn how Indian men shop for technology ... much like western women shop for clothes. They look at many items, take their time, and end up buying nothing.

After that, since it's close by, we stop by my house ... Boss makes a quick strong coffee, a quick look around at all the religious stuff, pointing at this and that, then we're back to koyil in time for them to have a nap, before playing for another 2 to 3 hours. The skill is amazing. Every year I learn so much.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Probably it was the cost that did not let them buy anything. Multiply so many Canadian Dollars by 53.81 and that is a large amount. They could buy something else for all that money. How is the Uttarkhand gentleman doing at your place? Rain and slides are causing havoc in Uttarkhand (and elsewhere too). Excess rain has become a regularity now. Nearly all states have been affected by floods and the official count of the dead is reaching 350. Delhi got its first taste of flood today. Hathnikund barrage has released more than 8 hundred thousand cusecs of water in Yamuna. (last 24 hours)
"flood yamuna Delhi" - Google Search

Last edited:

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Probably it was the cost that did not let them buy anything. Multiply so many Canadian Dollars by 53.81 and that is a large amount. They could buy something else for all that money. How is the Uttarkhand gentleman doing at your place? Rain and slides are causing havoc in Uttarkhand (and elsewhere too). Excess rain has become a regularity now. Nearly all states have been affected by floods and the official count of the dead is reaching 350. Delhi got its first taste of flood today. Hathnikund barrage has released more than 8 hundred thousand cusecs of water in Yamuna. (last 24 hours)
"flood yamuna Delhi" - Google Search

The renter is fine. He signed up for another course at a different college, so may be with us for awhile longer. Very much a mommy's boy so we've done some babysitting. But he's a cheerful sort.

The musicians said price is comparable, but it's the service (fixing things) that is drastically different, far cheaper in India. He wanted a better one for his wife as a gift. They were at 4 months on their 6 month working visa, so were headed home fairly soon. One to Trichy, the other too Thanjavur. They have to be well trained to get into the booking agency here, and our temple has seniority in booking, so we get the creme de la creme. One small step below the concert performers. It was the 9th time here for the thavil player, and second for the nadaswaram chap.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Nice, beautiful music. In North, we have Shehnai. My homage to the Master, Bismillah Khan.
Also, to the uncomparable, Khaiyyam, Naushad Ali, Muhammad Rafi, Sahir Ludhianvi, Shakil Badayuni, Hasrat Jaipuri - Music directors, singer and poets, who were the pillars of Bollywood music.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Thavil and nadaswaram?

Yep, exactly those. :)

Things like this tend to happen to me. I think I give off vibes or energies. I attract all sorts of people for all sorts of reasons. :D

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Yep, exactly those. :)

Things like this tend to happen to me. I think I give off vibes or energies. I attract all sorts of people for all sorts of reasons. :D

Wonder if they came for the booking agency out of Toronto? On days like those I really wish I knew Tamil.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Wonder if they came for the booking agency out of Toronto? On days like those I really wish I knew Tamil.

They've been at the temple for quite some time, I'd say about 2 years. They were there at least around the time of the 2018 (or 2017) Venkateshwara Brahmotsavam. The temple offers beginning Hindi, Tamil, Marathi, Kannada, and Sanskrit classes but the class times conflict with work.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
They've been at the temple for quite some time, I'd say about 2 years. They were there at least around the time of the 2018 (or 2017) Venkateshwara Brahmotsavam. The temple offers beginning Hindi, Tamil, Marathi, Kannada, and Sanskrit classes but the class times conflict with work.
Local boys then. Yes that does happen.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Puzzle solved. So it's a porcupine. Low apples (too high for Rabbit), and coconut in the coconut breaking box, being eaten. My friend the manager came back to temple late the other night and spotted him. Poor guy/gal froze, but then meandered back to the ravine. Manager, from Fiji was scared at first.