• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Our Virtual Ashram

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Nice and congratulations. Abhishekam bonds the deity with the devotee. Something which can only be experienced (and you have made a start) and not described. It is like a mother bathing her child. You used too many things. Perhaps just five are enough, and which five? That is your choice. Where did you read about cottage cheese being used for Abhishekam? That is a solid and for abhishekams, only liquids are used. I suppose the abhishekam was followed by powders (abir, gulal - yellow and red) and fragrance (Anulepam/Gandham samarpayami) after drying up the murti with cloth - ash as the last item in case of Lord Shiva (hope I am correct in what I am writing).

"A legend narrates that Lord Krishna complained to his mother about the darkness of his skin compared to that of his consort Radha. As a result, Krishna’s mother smeared colours onto Radha’s face. This explains why today Holi is celebrated by throwing colors on people." - Gulal - Wikipedia

However, please continue to do abhishekam when time and mood permits, and enjoy the proximity with the Lord. :D

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Nice and congratulations. Abhishekam bonds the deity with the devotee. Something which can only be experienced (and you have made a start) and not described. It is like a mother bathing her child. You used too many things. Perhaps just five are enough, and which five? That is your choice. Where did you read about cottage cheese being used for Abhishekam? That is a solid and for abhishekams, only liquids are used. I suppose the abhishekam was followed by powders (abir, gulal - yellow and red) and fragrance (Anulepam/Gandham samarpayami) after drying up the murti with cloth - ash as the last item in case of Lord Shiva (hope I am correct in what I am writing).

"A legend narrates that Lord Krishna complained to his mother about the darkness of his skin compared to that of his consort Radha. As a result, Krishna’s mother smeared colours onto Radha’s face. This explains why today Holi is celebrated by throwing colors on people." - Gulal - Wikipedia

However, please continue to do abhishekam when time and mood permits, and enjoy the proximity with the Lord. :D

My daily puja for Ganesha involves just water and rosewater at the end. So yes, I think some consistency over elaboration is more my style. At our temple, we have regular daily devotees, and then those who sponsor elaborate homas or abhishekhams on their children's birthdays or anniversaries. I'm of the first variety.

Aup, vibhuthi is used, it's a solid, but an exception I think.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Thanks. I kind of thought I went overboard with the offerings. I’m going to pare it down.

Where did you read about cottage cheese being used for Abhishekam? That is a solid and for abhishekams, only liquids are used.

It looks like a thin cottage cheese the priests use. It may be a thick and chunky yogurt. Whatever it is, I’m not going to do that again. :D

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Aup, vibhuthi is used, it's a solid, but an exception I think.
Even Abir-Gulal (Gandham) that we apply is solid, but that is after the bath. Just as someone may apply talcum powder after a bath. Abhishekam is the deity's bath then after that 'upavitam' (sacred thread), 'vastram' (clothes) etc. are offered. After one has taken a bath, something to eat - that is 'Naivedyam Samarpayami'. It is just providing best services to the guest (details in Wikipedia) and finally 'Pradakshina', 'Prarthana' (request for whatever help is required) and 'Visarjanam' (Respectful send off). One can't keep the deity for all times other than in one's heart. He/she has so many other things to attend to. :D

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
:D After the Abhishek and in 'Naivedyam', the deity would not mind cheese balls. We have various kinds here, various 'Modakams' (things that please), the Bengalis have 'Sondes' (that is how Bengalis would pronounce it), South Indians will have something with rice and coconut (Kozhukattai).
Note: Every thing has an 'm' in the end. That is the Samskrit or the South Indian way. In other parts of India, we do not put 'm' at the end of every word.

Kacha Golla/Sondesh first because that is my favorite, Kalakand, Modak - all made from milk solids, and Kozhukattai - Rice, Coconut, Jaggery and Rock Candy.
mango-sandesh-kadapak-250x250.png
kalakand-250x250.jpg
modak-250x250.jpg
499476.jpg

Last edited:

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Has anyone ever used these, round cotton wicks? Or made them? I have a small aarti lamp, like this one. I use the center diya for camphor when I do use it. I didn't realize it was so small when I ordered it, but it is cute.

Aarti lamp.jpg

When I say small, I do mean small. Each diya holds maybe 1/2 tsp. of oil, and are not very deep (no pun intended), meaning they tend to drip more than most diyas, and burn out quickly. I was thinking of getting round cotton wicks like these. I'm thinking they'd soak up more and drip less. I tried making a few of my own from cotton balls but I couldn't get them packed and twisted tight enough.

Thoughts?

il_570xN.1691585721_edtx.jpg

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Even while making the wick, apply oil or ghee to cotton. That is how my wife makes them. And you can cut half the cotton bulb and flatten it to make it stand in the diya.

Last edited:

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Even while making the wick, apply oil or ghee to cotton. That is how my wife makes them. And you can cut half the cotton bulb and make flatten it to stand in the diya.

Ah yeah! I didn't think of oiling or ghee-ing them first. I did split one cotton ball into two pieces, and I almost had it. Now I know why they probably didn't stay together. I'm going to try again before I order. :)

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Even while making the wick, apply oil or ghee to cotton. That is how my wife makes them. And you can cut half the cotton bulb and make flatten it to stand in the diya.

Btw, can they be re-lit like regular cotton wicks? Or they're just single use?

ameyAtmA

~ ~
Premium Member
It looks like a thin cottage cheese the priests use. It may be a thick and chunky yogurt. Whatever it is, I’m not going to do that again. :D

That is panchAmrut abhishek , not cottage cheese . Pancha = 5

You can either mix all 5 together (which is what appears to be from your description)
OR
the real technical way is one by one interleaved with shuddhodaka snana = clear -clean (shuddha, without mixing anything) water (udaka) after each of the 5 ingredients

1. dugdham samarapayAmi == milk
shuddhodaka snanam samarapayAmi
2. dadhi -- curd
water
3. ghRta -- ghee
water
4. sharkarA snAnam samarapayAmi -- Sugar --- exfoliator after the ghee -- some may not agree, but you can rub the sugar gently on the vigraha -- that helps remove ghee (same with dadhi)

water
5. madhu --- honey --- conditioner for Bal Gopal
water

-- for the pancharti - your picture -- the bulb cotton wicks have to be drenched in ghee and they are for one-time use -- at that size.

When used in a single wick lamp, you can have a larger one which can be reused depending on the arati duration.

Last edited:

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
That is panchAmrut abhishek , not cottage cheese . Pancha = 5

Oh really!? I didn't know that's what they use. It's quite thick, so I assumed it is curd. I have made panchamrit using a recipe I found somewhere. Looking for it in my files... brb...

Found it.
  • 1/8 cup curd (yogurt or cottage cheese)
  • 2 teaspoon sugar
  • 2 teaspoon honey
  • 4 teaspoon ghee
  • 1 cup milk
I found that if you don't whisk the mixture very well to emulsify the ghee, the cold milk will make it harden. The milk could probably be warmed up a little also.

You can either mix all 5 together (which is what appears to be from your description)

What they do is (usually in this order)::
  • Water
  • Milk
  • Water
  • Curd or pamchamrit or (I may ask)
  • Water
  • Honey
  • Water
  • Turmeric water
  • Water
  • Gandham water
Sometimes they use several different juices... orange, coconut water, etc. Then the doors or curtains are closed, the priest blesses everyone with water and a flower, and the deity is dressed.

-- for the pancharti - your picture -- the bulb cotton wicks have to be drenched in ghee and they are for one-time use -- at that size.

When used in a single wick lamp, you can have a larger one which can be reused depending on the arati duration.

Very good, thanks! :) Those wicks do look tiny. I'm going to try making my own again. Anything is easy when you know how to do it.

Btw, while we're on the subject :D when I change the clothes, what do I do with them? I got some small pieces of cotton cloth in different solid colors at the fabric store to use as vastram. Can I wash it and use it another time? I think the temple reuses them, but at certain times they give them to the devotees as prasadam.

These are the things that as converts not raised in the tradition, we are at a disadvantage and have to stumble along and piece things together. Of course, not many people have ocpd (obsessive–compulsive personality disorder) as I do. And highly superstitious. :(

ameyAtmA

~ ~
Premium Member
In the Temple it would be the long panchamrut snAna the way I described , interleaved with water. When used separately also the process of abhishek using 5 ingredients is called panchAmrut abhishek.

That second ingredient is yogurt not panchamrut.

Yes, it is followed by haldi (turmeric) and other things.

Of course you can wash the clothes and reuse them. It is your Deity'a wardrobe

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Of course you can wash the clothes and reuse them. It is your Deity'a wardrobe

Thanks, that’s true. I thought that made sense.

Ok, so I made a couple of little round wicks. Not bad for the first time. :shrug: I used 1/2 a cotton ball, rolled and twisted it with ghee. Held its shape. But I think they should be a little smaller and tighter. Maybe 3 from 1 ball.

They burned for a good 5 mins. or more. More than sufficient for the Aarti song om jai jagadisha hare. It did burn up completely, so yeah it was just one use.

26F4C3A1-C801-4ABA-92A7-81CE270E1FE1.jpeg

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Btw, can they be re-lit like regular cotton wicks? Or they're just single use?
Strictly, one-time.
I found that if you don't whisk the mixture very well to emulsify the ghee, the cold milk will make it harden. The milk could probably be warmed up a little also.
Can I wash it and use it another time?
I do not mind few globules of 'ghee' in 'charanamritam'. They taste nice. It depends on what you like. You can vary the proportion according to your liking.
You certainly can re-use things from deity's wardrobe (as Ameya said).

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Yeah, it is a cotton wick. Can't you spare one for the deity every time that you must use it twice? Offer something used to the deity? (similar thinking)
But you mentioned that you are superstitious (ocpd). No need to be that.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Can't you spare one for the deity every time that you must use it twice? Offer something used to the deity? (similar thinking)

Good point. I keep the same (single) wick in the regular diyas and relight, but I did read once that they should be new each time the diya is lit.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
But if the devotee does not have a new wick, the deity would accept even the 'bhava' (desire). Close your eye and say "Deepam Samarpayami" and visualize yourself as performing the 'aarti'. The deity is an ocean of kindness.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Has anyone ever used these, round cotton wicks? Or made them? I have a small aarti lamp, like this one. I use the center diya for camphor when I do use it. I didn't realize it was so small when I ordered it, but it is cute.

View attachment 24985

When I say small, I do mean small. Each diya holds maybe 1/2 tsp. of oil, and are not very deep (no pun intended), meaning they tend to drip more than most diyas, and burn out quickly. I was thinking of getting round cotton wicks like these. I'm thinking they'd soak up more and drip less. I tried making a few of my own from cotton balls but I couldn't get them packed and twisted tight enough.

Thoughts?

il_570xN.1691585721_edtx.jpg

Jai, that's what I use daily for final aarti.