• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Our Conservative Members

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Hi, all,

In the last couple of months, certain people have PMed me about the status of conservative members on RF and expressed concerns regarding what they thought was an under-representation of conservative members on the forum.

First, I think clarifying the RF administration's stance on conservative members is important. We consider them a crucial element of fulfilling the forum's mission statement promoting fellowship and diversity. Imagine, for instance, the Political Debates forum without conservative members. It would be one-sided, one-dimensional, and uninteresting; the "Debates" in "Political Debates" would whither away, which is not what we want. Furthermore, conservative religious members add fundamental variety to the religious debates and discussions on this forum, enriching the diversity thereof.

Second, let's talk about the representation of conservative members on RF. If we define a conservative as "someone who respects and aims to preserve the status quo," we already have some conservatives on the staff. It is true, however, that the ratio of socially and politically conservative staff members to socially and politically liberal ones is on the low side. As a result, we are currently looking into adding more socially and politically conservative members to the staff.

Third, I would like to address some conservative members' concerns, which some of them have PMed me about, regarding feeling unwelcome on RF. I assure them that the stance of the forum's administration is what I stated above: we welcome all members who post according to the forum rules and mission statement, be they conservative or otherwise. Our conservative members who post in accordance with the forum's rules and mission statement are, as I said above, a fundamental element of the forum.

Fourth, on a note that is related to the third point in this post, I would like to mention that misrepresenting or repeatedly denigrating an entire group of people without engaging in debate is against Rule 11 of the forum rules:

11. Subverting/Undermining the Forum Mission
The purpose of the forum is to provide a civil, informative, respectful, and welcoming environment where people of diverse beliefs can discuss, compare, and debate. Posts while debating and discussing different beliefs must be done in the spirit of productivity. If a person's main goal is to undermine a set of beliefs by creating unproductive posts, threads, or responses to others, said content will be edited or removed and subject to moderation.

If you see such posts, please report them so that the staff can review them.

You are welcome to let us know if you have any questions or concerns by posting in the Site Feedback forum.

Thank you,

Debater Slayer, on behalf of the RF administration.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
This is a good idea.
Conservatives have always struck me as the red headed step children of RF.
They should feel welcome.
I can't argue with only the lefties!

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Well, that's pretty easy to do. The state of conservative affairs of RF is much like the history of African Americans.

Either way, I'll be doing my part here soon enough.
At least I can still enjoy a couple hundred more posts.

ShivaFan

Satyameva Jayate
Premium Member
Not to sound paranoid, but I just want to let everyone know it was not me who PM'd anyone. Because I might be thought by some as "conservative".

I have moved more into "Right Wing" and just a bit to the right of "Conservative"... but just for clarification, it wasn't me. Nor am I criticizing any conservative who might have PM'd, either. PM away. I love them all... well, except for Jeb Bush who I hate.

That aside, it never bothers me to get in cat and dog matches. Life is more fun with such things. Also, I like to have happy fun, too, but anything goes with me. I am sort of "pain free", or even "detached", honestly there is a lack of empathy, so I never complain, or PM much, nor throw a yellow card and so on. Not me. In fact, many of my friends have been pretty monsterous people but I can hang with them personally, also others are virtual angels. Doesn't matter to me, I will still say what I am going to say, but I never complain. So just fyi.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Though I don't need a protective shield and wouldn't dream of reporting a "conservative hostile" post I do appreciate the thought. I do have a leg up on most conservative members though as I live in a hotbed of leftwing supporters in my neck of the woods. It makes for many a spirited discussion, let me tell you... and I rarely lose those discussions.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Though I don't need a protective shield and wouldn't dream of reporting a "conservative hostile" post I do appreciate the thought. I do have a leg up on most conservative members though as I live in a hotbed of leftwing supporters in my neck of the woods. It makes for many a spirited discussion, let me tell you... and I rarely lose those discussions.
Of course, not all folk are such equanimous warriors as our favorite caped crusader.
RF could be more welcoming to non mainstream views (ie, anything not modern liberal).

RationalSkeptic

Freethinker
Imagine, for instance, the Political Debates forum without conservative members. It would be one-sided, one-dimensional, and uninteresting; the "Debates" in "Political Debates" would whither away, which is not what we want.

I must disagree on this.

There is more than two political stances present on the forums.

Smart_Guy

Premium Member
Yes, this has always been bothering me. Here is the Mission Statement of RF:
"As a community of diverse cultural and religious backgrounds, our aim is to provide a civil environment, informative, respectful and welcoming where people of diverse beliefs can discuss, compare and debate religion while engaging in fellowship with one another."

My understanding is that the above means that this community; RF, supposedly has a middle ground where all kinds of people share with a mutual acceptance. I personally do not see that it is so currently and under current conditions, in my humble opinion. I'm not complaining or planning to discuss this, I'm just sharing how I feel about it and could be perfectly wrong. I'm just a guest here and I should accept how the host runs things without complaining, and I'm grateful for having me here.

Last edited: