• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Osho's Diamond Sutra?

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I came across a copy of Osho's version of the Diamond Sutra. Given what a controversial character he was, I am wondering if it might not be such a good idea to read this version, with his commentaries. I've never read any of his works, but I've read of him. Thoughts?

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I would not touch anything written by Rajneesh with a ten foot pole. The guy was deeply unethical and destructive.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I would not touch anything written by Rajneesh with a ten foot pole. The guy was deeply unethical and destructive.

That's what I thought, thanks. At the risk of being unkind, he seemed like a nut. I'll drop it like a bad habit. Are there any good recommendations for the Diamond Sutra? I have Thich Nhat Hanh's Heart Sutra commentary and Burton Watson's full Lotus Sutra translation with commentaries. I'm also considering the Mahaparinirvana Sutra.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
That's a tip -off right there. :eek:

It was fun .. we drove through Rajneeshpuram once on the way to California. The kids had a few err... questions.

9480155-large.jpg

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Osho developed his own sect and applied his own interpretations, and yet proceeded on a path of corruption.

This fits well methinks here...

Just like a blossom, bright colored but scentless: a well-spoken word is fruitless when not carried out. Just like a blossom, bright colored & full of scent: a well-spoken word is fruitful when well carried out. -Dhammapada-

Ironically the Diamond Sutra applies well in the case of Osho.

Last edited:

DreadFish

Cosmic Vagabond
It was fun .. we drove through Rajneeshpuram once on the way to California. The kids had a few err... questions.

9480155-large.jpg

I have wondered why he always wore a hat :confused:

Anyway, he just took various things that other people said then put them together and said it slightly differently as if it were his own teaching.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Osho developed his own sect and applied his own interpretations, and yet proceeded on a path of corruption.

This fits well methinks here...

Ironically the Diamond Sutra applies well in the case of Osho.

Jesus made a similar observation of the Scribes and Pharisees... like sepulchurs gleaming white on the outside, but inside full of corruption and decay.

I'm glad to have been alerted before I started reading.

steveb1

I would recommend everything Osho "wrote" (he didn't write those books, rather the books are printed forms of his discourses). His insights are profound. One reviewer said that in reading or hearing Osho it is like hearing "Enlightenment speaking of Itself". If you fear his opinions on wordly matters, just skip that stuff while paying utmost attention to his religious, spiritual, theological commentaries. Enlightened or not, criminal or not, Osho was and is a spiritual teacher without peer.

von bek

That's what I thought, thanks. At the risk of being unkind, he seemed like a nut. I'll drop it like a bad habit. Are there any good recommendations for the Diamond Sutra? I have Thich Nhat Hanh's Heart Sutra commentary and Burton Watson's full Lotus Sutra translation with commentaries. I'm also considering the Mahaparinirvana Sutra.

I know I am about two years late to this; but, if by chance you are still interested in a Diamond Sutra recommendation, I think Red Pine's translation is the best I have read.

http://www.amazon.com/Diamond-Sutra...109177&sr=1-1&keywords=red+pine+diamond+sutra