• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Orthodox Christians?

Matrona

Linus7 said:
Hi. I'm new here, too.

I became Orthodox on October 15, 2000, as a convert from the Lutheran Church Missouri Synod.

I recognize some of the new folks here from another forum.

I hope this forum doesn't turn into just another version of that one.

Sorry, but I came here in part to get away from that place.
I have the same thoughts as you, Linus.

All I want is to know why in TAW, it's okay to post cruel insults directed at Protestants, but say something about certain RC doctrines being heretical according to the Orthodox perspective, and all of a sudden the poor ickle Roman Catholics can't stand to have you around. Then point out the blatant double standard in the way the rules are enforced, and they warn you until you get a suspension.

I'm so glad this place isn't like that. :banghead3

No*s

Captain Obvious
Matrona said:

All I want is to know why in TAW, it's okay to post cruel insults directed at Protestants, but say something about certain RC doctrines being heretical according to the Orthodox perspective, and all of a sudden the poor ickle Roman Catholics can't stand to have you around. Then point out the blatant double standard in the way the rules are enforced, and they warn you until you get a suspension.

In general, though, we should avoid attacking a religion. Whether Protestant or Catholic, it's against the forum rules. So let's not get accustomed to calling anyone heretics or whatnot :). Simply explain that Orthodoxy rejects it.

Matrona

No*s said:
In general, though, we should avoid attacking a religion. Whether Protestant or Catholic, it's against the forum rules. So let's not get accustomed to calling anyone heretics or whatnot :). Simply explain that Orthodoxy rejects it.
That's exactly my point :) I didn't call them heretics, just said that they teach heresy (in explaining why they abandoned communion with us). Also, the Roman Catholics are allowed to call Orthodox heretics in the Roman Catholic forum there.

Doesn't seem fair to me, that one gets punished and the others don't...

Linus7

Matrona said:

There's a lot of unfairness over there.

What you said above is absolutely true.

Not only are too-Orthodox posts a "problem," but even traditionalist Catholics have problems there.

All they have to do to fall from grace is question Vatican II, the new Catechism, or the Novus Ordo Missae.

It's extremely difficult to find a board that is just plain Orthodox.

Linus7

I didn't like that other place. Spending time there made me feel bad.

I don't get that feeling here.

Matrona

Linus7 said:
I didn't like that other place. Spending time there made me feel bad.

I don't get that feeling here.
Me too. :) I'm glad you are here, too.

I added a link to this forum to orthodoxwiki so that others could find it, too.

No*s

Captain Obvious
Matrona said:
Me too. :) I'm glad you are here, too.

I added a link to this forum to orthodoxwiki so that others could find it, too.

Ah, then the board will become more populated with Orthodox Christians :jiggy:

Matrona

No*s said:
Yep. And I just realized, that in the post you quoted, I managed to end all three sentences with the word "Too." Rock on! :cool:

No*s

Captain Obvious
Matrona said:
Yep. And I just realized, that in the post you quoted, I managed to end all three sentences with the word "Too." Rock on! :cool:

Ah, but you didn't do it again :). I'll look forward to the company that it will engender...and there will be many whom I should learn from coming. I'm somewhat of a neophyte :).

Linus7

No*s said:
Let's hope that is a good thing.

I guess it will happen sooner or later, but I kind of like things the way they are now.

I've been on other boards and . . . well . . . let's just say that a rose is not always a rose.

Snowbear

Nita Okhata
No*s said:
I may have it right in the head...but the heart is not yet conformed.
Though not Orthodox, I'm struggling with the same thing...

Are you sure it's not the other way around... Your heart is in the right place, but the doubts are in your head??

No*s

Captain Obvious
Linus7 said:
Let's hope that is a good thing.

I guess it will happen sooner or later, but I kind of like things the way they are now.

I've been on other boards and . . . well . . . let's just say that a rose is not always a rose.

In that case, I will simply have to act as a moderator :(. I hope that doesn't happen. It'll give Orthodox Christians a very bad name.

No*s

Captain Obvious
Snowbear said:
Though not Orthodox, I'm struggling with the same thing...

Are you sure it's not the other way around... Your heart is in the right place, but the doubts are in your head??

Yes. Every part of me is subject to corruption, not just my mind. So, as a result, I have to struggle to conform my mind and spirit to Christ, and in the process my body will also be redeemed :).