• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Original Sin?

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Two questions...

Does Judaism include the theology of Original Sin?

And,

Prior to Paul, Where is the concept of Original Sin discussed in the Bible?

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
It is also taught among us that since the fall of Adam all men who are born according to the course of nature are conceived and born in sin. That is, all men are full of evil lust and inclinations from their mothers' wombs and are unable by nature to have true fear of God and true faith in God. Moreover, this inborn sickness and hereditary sin is truly sin and condemns to the eternal wrath of God all those who are not born again through Baptism and the Holy Spirit. Rejected in this connection are the Pelagians and others who deny that original sin is sin, for they hold that natural man is made righteous by his own powers, thus disparaging the sufferings and merit of Christ.
Original sin - Wikipedia

So Original Sin is about sex? Man's lustful desire for sex makes man unworthy of God?

nPeace

Veteran Member
Two questions...

Does Judaism include the theology of Original Sin?

And,

Prior to Paul, Where is the concept of Original Sin discussed in the Bible?
The entire Tanakh refers to sin of mankind.
Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, Deuteronomy, Samuels Kings, Ezra, Nehemiah, Job 14:4; Psalm 51:2-7, etc.

What do you understand sin to be?

Last edited:

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
The entire Tanakh refers to sin of mankind.
Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, Deuteronomy, Samuels Kings, Ezra, Nehemiah, Job 14:4; Psalm 51:2-7, etc.

What do you understand sin to be?

I guess, as I've found out, sex.
I've heard some say that the "forbidden fruit" was sex. Seemed a little strange to me though, why create genders in the first place? Why make sex, umm... so much fun?
I mean if it's evil/sinful.

I suppose I sound a little naive, but I had never made this connection if this is actually the basis for Original Sin.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
I've heard some say that the "forbidden fruit" was sex. Seemed a little strange to me though, why create genders in the first place? Why make sex, umm... so much fun?

I suppose I sound a little naive, but I had never made this connection if this is actually the basis for Original Sin.
IMO:

This concept does not make sense to me either.

I interpret it differently: We are reborn until we are Self Realized. Original sin is "not being Realized yet". Buddha said "Life is suffering"

The act of sex is not sin. Being attached to sex = not Self Realized, this causes you to be reborn. Sex without attachment (Tantra) not

nPeace

Veteran Member
I guess, as I've found out, sex.

As the saying goes, "The naive person believes every word." Proverbs 14:15
Wise not to be naive, evidently.
You heard wrong, if that's what you heard. People tend to come up with all sorts of crazy ideas, especially I find, where it warps the truth.

Audie

Veteran Member
That's an interesting concept. Got me to thinking, why is man imperfect, and what does that mean?
It got me thinking too, when christianity was being explained to me.

I finally got it! God is all good, but everything he made is bad.

Audie

Veteran Member
As the saying goes, "The naive person believes every word." Proverbs 14:15
Wise not to be naive, evidently.
You heard wrong, if that's what you heard. People tend to come up with all sorts of crazy ideas, especially I find, where it warps the truth.

As noted elsewhere, the bible says whatever anyone wants it to say.

exchemist

Veteran Member
It is also taught among us that since the fall of Adam all men who are born according to the course of nature are conceived and born in sin. That is, all men are full of evil lust and inclinations from their mothers' wombs and are unable by nature to have true fear of God and true faith in God. Moreover, this inborn sickness and hereditary sin is truly sin and condemns to the eternal wrath of God all those who are not born again through Baptism and the Holy Spirit. Rejected in this connection are the Pelagians and others who deny that original sin is sin, for they hold that natural man is made righteous by his own powers, thus disparaging the sufferings and merit of Christ.
Original sin - Wikipedia

So Original Sin is about sex? Man's lustful desire for sex makes man unworthy of God?
No. That's quite wrong. What bit of that very long article are you quoting? Be careful about the meaning of "lust", as it does not just mean sexual lust.

Original sin is the inherent tendency of Man towards evil: his moral weakness. Nothing to do with sex.

nPeace

Veteran Member
It got me thinking too, when christianity was being explained to me.

I finally got it! God is all good, but everything he made is bad.
That's what you got? Okay.
At least you got something. That's important.
If we go through life, not getting anything, then I don't see how we could be considered living.

As noted elsewhere, the bible says whatever anyone wants it to say.
Sounds like it's a puppet you are describing, and everyone is pulling the strings.
By now, I would think it would be torn to bits, if that were the case. Not being translated into more languages, than it already is.
BibleDistro.png

Seems to me, it's speaking to the hears of billions, and millions are understanding the one pure language it speaks.
What could possibly account for that.

Last edited:

Audie

Veteran Member
That's what you got? Okay.
At least you got something. That's important.
If we go through life, not getting anything, then I don't see how we could be considered living.

Sounds like it's a puppet you are describing, and everyone is pulling the strings.
By now, I would think it would be torn to bits, if that were the case. Not being translated into more languages, than it already is.
View attachment 46337

Seems to me, it's speaking to the hears of billions, and millions are understanding the one pure anguage it speaks.
What could possibly account for that.

I'd say the popularity has a great deal to
with the flexibility I mentioned-it says whatever
the reader wants. Slavery good,slavery bad.
Rich? good or bad.

Pure language that no two agree on. Ha.

The large number of copies and wide distribution might have to do with
colonial expansion and cultural imperialism,
don't you think?

And the millions of copies churches print
and make it their godly mission to haul
into the darkest jungle and frozest tundra.

nPeace

Veteran Member
I'd say the popularity has a great deal to
with the flexibility I mentioned-it says whatever
the reader wants. Slavery good,slavery bad.
Rich? good or bad.

Pure language that no two agree on. Ha.

The large number of copies and wide distribution might have to do with
colonial expansion and cultural imperialism,
don't you think?

And the millions of copies churches print
and make it their godly mission to haul
into the darkest jungle and frozest tundra.
That no two agree on? I know you only said that, but I'm sure you know it's not true, as millions do agree on the pure language.
Even Jesus disciples numbering 120 at the time agreed.

Might have to do with? Seems to me your best guess. No. I don't agree with that guess.

Brian2

Veteran Member
Original sin - Wikipedia

"Lust" is not just about sex.