• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Original Sin, Hell, and child abuse

Here until I storm off again
Premium Member
It is common in Christian families to raise the child as Christian. That is obvious, it is the same for all religions. This involves teaching a child that they are born evil, that they are evil in nature. Teaching a child that they are terrible, sinful beings who need to accept Christ in order to be saved. Of course, if they don't accept Christ (or disagree with their parent's ruling, their church leaders, talk back, question...) they are going to suffer for all eternity.

Many people say that teaching children such things is child abuse. I personally agree. Your thoughts?

Vultar

The different leaders, be it religous or political know that the best way to get more faithful followers is to start the indoctrination as young as possible. A child will believe what they are first taught until a point where they begin to gain there own awareness and experience. That is the reason for "the hitler youth", as well as how religions were able to expand their followings.

Is it abuse... that really depends on your point of view. But it is mild brainwashing...

If I wanted followers, I would have joined Twitter :D

Erebus

It is common in Christian families to raise the child as Christian. That is obvious, it is the same for all religions. This involves teaching a child that they are born evil, that they are evil in nature. Teaching a child that they are terrible, sinful beings who need to accept Christ in order to be saved. Of course, if they don't accept Christ (or disagree with their parent's ruling, their church leaders, talk back, question...) they are going to suffer for all eternity.

Many people say that teaching children such things is child abuse. I personally agree. Your thoughts?

Depends really. Hell as a concept is frightening, but I think to call such a doctrine "child abuse" seriously undermines some of the truly horrific things that can happen to children. It's kind of like equating an unwanted kiss with rape when you consider what some children go through.

Having said that, such doctrines can be incorporated into child abuse. for example, they may be used as justification for mistreating the child or presented in a fashion similar to that which you suggested.

Man of Faith

I don't think that Christians raise their children telling them that they are evil. It sounds like the OP thinks that when my child wakes up I start calling them an evil evil person worth of hell all day long. I think we tell them that they are sinners yes and sin is evil when compared to a holy God. And children get it, they know that they can't be perfect and need forgiveness.

As for child abuse, well can it be child abuse to not tell them about Jesus forgiveness when I believe that there is a hell?

Here until I storm off again
Premium Member
Depends really. Hell as a concept is frightening, but I think to call such a doctrine "child abuse" seriously undermines some of the truly horrific things that can happen to children. It's kind of like equating an unwanted kiss with rape when you consider what some children go through.

Having said that, such doctrines can be incorporated into child abuse. for example, they may be used as justification for mistreating the child or presented in a fashion similar to that which you suggested.

To teach a child that they are evil and deserving of eternal suffering is psychological abuse. Psychological abuse is just as bad as physical abuse. What could be worse abuse than to grow up being taught you are evil and should be tortured? Sexual abuse is horrific, but it is even worse because it psychologically damages the person.

Erebus

To teach a child that they are evil and deserving of eternal suffering is psychological abuse. Psychological abuse is just as bad as physical abuse. What could be worse abuse than to grow up being taught you are evil and should be tortured? Sexual abuse is horrific, but it is even worse because it psychologically damages the person.

Like I say, it really depends how it's taught. If you were to hammer into a child that they were evil, going to be tortured eternally etc then yes it's psychological abuse. However in my experience (so usual caveats apply obviously) Christian parents rarely take this approach and when they do, it's generally done as justification for other torments.
I'm not going to go into detail about what child abuse can actually entail as it's not appropriate for the forum and this includes some cases with no sexual element involved. However excluding rare cases the doctrines of Hell and original sin just don't come close, even though I too consider them to be vile.

Now you're obviously free to disagree with me here, but please understand that I'm reluctant to delve too deeply into child abuse on this forum. Things are done to children that beggar belief and I'm not willing to risk the offence and upset that describing them would cause.

4consideration

Premium Member

While I do not follow the traditional church of my family because I disagree with what I consider to be limitations for me in following church doctrine -- in all honesty I have to say that I was taught NONE of the things that you mentioned in the OP.

I have run into some people that seem to think that way -- but they were not the "norm" for me as far as the people that I knew within Christian denominations -- they were just the obnoxious ones that stuck out in my mind. I can only assume that your personal experience was in some specific area of Christianity that does not even come close to being similiar with my experience if you think that is a fair representation of Christianity. I do not.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I don't think most Christians are all that severe by saying "If you talk back, etc. then you are going to hell". Frankly, teaching a child about what a faith entails is not child abuse.

arthra

Baha'i

My parents had me attend a Baptist church from an early age and there was no instruction that children were born evil or evil by nature... I attended Sunday School classes and was taught the Bible stories and I recall we enacted some of scenes such as the battles with Philistines and of course the three wisemen bringing gifts to the baby Jesus and so on..

In the Baptist church we were baptized around eleven years of age and this was considered an age when we would understand what baptism meant.

Suffering for all eternity was not preached but rather the love and forgiveness of God..When my own children came along I also taught them the Bible stories because I wanted them to have a some background I had received at the Baptist church even though I had become a Baha'i...

Last edited:
It does depend on the method you instruct children. I was raised in a very christian atmosphere where man sins and can go to Hell, but I was never told I was evil, only that sinning needed to be accounted for and that it was up to me whether I was saved or not.

As for child abuse, well can it be child abuse to not tell them about Jesus forgiveness when I believe that there is a hell?
Telling them what you believe and telling them what to believe are different.

Last edited:

BruceDLimber

It is common in Christian families to raise the child as Christian. That is obvious, it is the same for all religions.

Not so.

The Baha'i Faith requires parents to educate their children about ALL the great religions--and the legitimacy of each! (Baha'i schools of course assist in this.)

Then when a child reaches the Age of Maturity, he or she can choose between becoming a Baha'i, becoming something else, or becoming nothing whatever! And the parents MAY NOT interfere in this decision.

Works great for us! :)

Bruce

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member

What Scripture says children are born evil?
At birth parents know a child's leanings will be toward wrongdoing but not evil.
We are all born with a sinful nature but that does not make us wicked.

Were does Scripture say suffer for all eternity?

Doesn't Jesus have the keys to unlock death and hell 'sheol' ?
[Revelation 1 v 18]

If one was to suffer for all eternity what would be the point of having keys to unlock death and the biblical hell 'sheol' [common grave] ?

So, teaching 'born evil' and 'suffer eternally' are abusive lies because that is Not what the Bible really teaches.

Mindmaster

Premium Member
I had the bible beat into my backside since I was about old enough to understand words. I don't blame them really -- they were told your life was ruined if you don't believe.. so what do they do.. ahh! My kids aren't even allowed to participate, not because we're doing anything weird but rather I am giving the consideration I never received myself. I answer factual pointed questions -- that's about it.

ankarali

If someone tells you ''put your child in the fire'' will you do this? If you can't teach the religion to your child you will put him/her in the fire

Of course the responsibility has limits. You only talk to yopur child about the religion if he/she does not want, don't worry you did your best.

Remember Noah's son! He was not a believer

Orias

Left Hand Path
Not really.

If half the population died I wouldn't necessarily care, but I wouldn't go out and attempt to destroy half the population nor would I ever murder anyone out of cold blood.

I am more so lost to apathy than anything else.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Not really.

If half the population died I wouldn't necessarily care, but I wouldn't go out and attempt to destroy half the population nor would I ever murder anyone out of cold blood.

I am more so lost to apathy than anything else.

I see. My views on humanity are a mixture of misanthropy, disappointment and ultimately, frustration. I can see the good in us, and the potential, however. I think it's important to keep that balance.

idav

Being
Premium Member

I think it is in a way. Certainly not physical but any type of purposeful brain washing is mental abuse. It would definitely be deemed abuse if we call our kids all sort of nasty names all the time and telling someone they are essentially worthless is at the top of that and religious reasons doesn't make it ok.