• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Origin of Evil

ashai

hotcolaut said:
This is more of a question than anything... im curious of the Christian idea for the original of evil. I've been looking through the Catholic Catechism trying to find an answer, but i was unable to come up with any. I realize the original idea was that Lucifer, an angel, went against God's plan for humanity, and was therefore cast down into hell for eternal suffering Thus, the first act of evil.

But how could lucifer have CHOSEN evil, if it hadn't existed yet? By saying "the first act of evil" are we not presupposing that evil exists before this? And, if evil existed before lucifer, then evil must have existed indefinitely, thus implying God cannot be either all-loving (if he created evil) or all-powerful (if he dind't create evil).

Anyway, i'm just curious what the Christian standpoint on the origin of evil is....Any input would be appreciate.

OOps never mind, i see that gnostics and atheists are postingg as well, my bad

may

Maxist said:
They say that Eve created it. They say that woman crated sin, and all evil in the world.
THEY say many things, but the bible tells us this,
(2 Corinthians 11:3) But I am afraid that somehow, as the serpent seduced Eve by its cunning, your minds might be corrupted away from the sincerity and the chastity that are due the Christ.
(Genesis 3:4) At this the serpent said to the woman: "YOU positively will not die.​

(1 Timothy 2:14) Also, Adam was not deceived, but the woman was thoroughly deceived and came to be in transgression........... so the bible tells us it was the serpent
So down the great dragon was hurled, the original serpent, the one called Devil and Satan, who is misleading the entire inhabited earth; revelation 12;9 yes he the original serpent misleads many,even eve

ashai

standing_alone said:
Is anyone going to answer my question?

Ushta Standing

Because Evil is not a thing, to be created. It is a name we give to the wrongful consequences of a choice made by an ethically cognizant being. It is a contingency, an alternative, a possibility. When you have a choice to make there are alternatives. If you choose the wrong alternative, the results you will get from such, would be called evil.

But in reality, it is the inclination of our mind that made us make a wrong choice, that is the culprit; but our mind is ignorant, pliable and must experience to learn. Evil is not independent from the choices of men (in this planet, or whatever other ethically cognizant beings might exist elsewhere) in thought, words/communication and deeds.

You can trace any evil ( outside the socalled natural evils, which are ethically neutral in and of themselves) to some one's choice of a thought, a word or any other form of communication and deed.

In short the problem of evil is up to men and in Zoroastrian theology we believe that it is to learn to eliminate the choosing of thought, words and deeds whose consequences are evil returns, that we are here.:jiggy:

As to why the Creator created us with an ignorance of how to choose good all the time, which would be the logical question. There are two answers within Zoroastrian theology. In the first case, the Creator creates only what is possible to be created . S/He works through the Laws of nature of which S/He is the source of and they, in turn, are part of the Creator's own nature. Thus everything is created immature whether an insect or a whale, because that is the possible way of creation within the Natural Law.:bounce

Secondly, it is important to the Creator that men freely choose to harmonize their choices with the Natural Law and thus the Creator has designed the Cosmos to include free will ( This also requires randomness, but that is another story) The reasons for this are
A)that ethical beings only value what they work for.
AND
B) That freedom is necessary for true loving goodness and that is the nature of the Creator and what he has designed us to attain:dan:

Ushta Te
Ashai