• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Origin of Evil

St0ne

Well if you believe in the Bible and God I would have to say God created evil. I don't though and I believe evil comes from the ignorance of man.

Judgement Day

standing_alone said:
But if man was created in God's image (and God isn't evil, nor created evil), how did man choose evil? Wouldn't God have to have given man the capability to be evil - thus creating evil?
Nothing could exist in this world except what God has created..even evil. God created evil to test us (although God is not evil). This life is a test for us.

hotcolaut

This is more of a question than anything... I'm in my last year at a Catholic highschool, and i've been pondering the origin of evil. I've been looking through the Catholic catachism to try and find an answer, but i've recieved very little to nothing. So i'm curious on what the Christian stance is for the origin of evil.

I know the story of Lucifer, the fallen angel. But if Lucifer was the first action of evil, wouldn't evil have to exist before he could choose it? Lucifer didn't CREATE evil when he CHOSE it. It must have existed in order for him to choose it in the first place.

Anyway, im just curious how the Christians explain the origin of evil, while still maintaining God's image of being all-powerful, and all-loving.

Thanks

Bishka

Veteran Member
Intersting idea. My head hurts now from too much thinking.:bonk: So I'll have to get back to you on this one.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Evil is a way we humans categorize events and things. It seems to have no objective reality apart from the human mind. So, if you want to know how evil originated, you might investigate psychology.

hotcolaut

But if God created evil, in any sense, then it would mean he is not all-loving..... and the Christian ideal of such goes down the toilet.... but i think i follow what most of you are saying. I always assumed evil to be a seperate entity in itself from good. But if evil is just characterized as the ABSENSE of good, then it means it was created at the same time as good, no?

Judgement Day

hotcolaut said:
But if God created evil, in any sense, then it would mean he is not all-loving
If a teacher gives a multiple choice question to a student which consists of the right and wrong answer, is that teacher evil? I would say that that teacher is evil if he/she gives us all right answers or all wrong answers because in that case, he/she does not care about the student.

Squirt

I believe that light and truth are co-eternal with God. By logical extension, so are darkness and evil. Of course, you'd have to reject the doctrine of an ex nihilo creation to accept this, which I do. Consequently, I don't see God as either the cause or the source of evil.

hotcolaut

not necessarily evil, but not all-loving. The MOST loving thing to do would have to created a world without evil... I think, anyway.

hotcolaut

Squirt said:
I believe that light and truth are co-eternal with God. By logical extension, so are darkness and evil. Of course, you'd have to reject the doctrine of an ex nihilo creation to accept this, which I do. Consequently, I don't see God as either the cause or the source of evil.

Then what would you suggest is the cause or source of evil?

Judgement Day

hotcolaut said:
not necessarily evil, but not all-loving. The MOST loving thing to do would have to created a world without evil... I think, anyway.
Thats my point, if a teacher gives us no choice to choose either the right answer or the wrong answer, then that teacher is not all-loving. How can the student advance in his/her studies then?

Squirt

hotcolaut said:
Then what would you suggest is the cause or source of evil?
I don't know that there is an answer to that question. I just don't believe in an ex nihilo creation, so the question is not problematic for me. I believe that there are actualities that are co-eternal with God, such as light, truth and chaotic matter. Of course I realize that most Christians believe that God created all of these from nothing. Consequently you are left with the dilemma of why a God who is good would create evil.

Squirt

Judgement Day said:
Evil is just one of the many tests for us.
I agree completely. I wasn't implying that evil serves no purpose. There would, after all, be no such thing as good if there were not also such a thing as evil. That was the first of many lessons Adam and Eve had to learn. I just don't believe that evil originates with God.

Judgement Day

Squirt said:
I agree completely. I wasn't implying that evil serves no purpose. There would, after all, be no such thing as good if there were not also such a thing as evil. That was the first of many lessons Adam and Eve had to learn. I just don't believe that evil originates with God.
I understand. I also believe that God is good and loving. I also believe that evil was created by God, but just because God created evil does not mean that it originates from Him, because evil doesn't represent the attribute of God.

Vicegrip

As to Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden.

Was it really Satan in the form of the serpent? Had anyone thought that it could have been God himself who was responsible for tempting Adam and Eve, in order to test them?

The linkage between Satan and the serpent is only an (universal) assumption. A lot of thing about the Creation, particularly of the Fall of Man, doesn't ring true. There are too many assumptions.

:banghead3 never thought of this possibility. hmmm