• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oregon campus shooting

esmith

Veteran Member
To our foreign friends.
If you are not raised around firearms or exposed to them then you do not see why anyone would want one. Not all of us have firearms for self and family protection. Many of us have firearms for many other reasons. Some of us hunt, and just not for the sport of the kill, others use firearms for recreation as in target shooting or competition. Some of us live in remote areas and they are a tool, just like a shovel. When predators are killing your livestock it is necessary to take corrective action. So, we are not all "gun toting" people that are ridiculously portrayed in movie, and fictional books.

dust1n

Zindīq
I believe that each business should be allowed to choose if they will allow guns or not.

Thanks, was just curious.

I also respect their right to be gun free zones by not going there.

Sure, but UPS and Fedex's use gun free zones all over their distribution hubs. Do you not use those services or do you just not go to the premises?

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
Sure, but UPS and Fedex's use gun free zones all over their distribution hubs. Do you not use those services or do you just not go to the premises?
UPS and FedEx have no control over my home or office being or not being a gun free zone.
Since my use of those two services doe snot require me to go to their gun free zone areas, I do not have to worry about it.

dust1n

Zindīq
UPS and FedEx have no control over my home or office being or not being a gun free zone.
Since my use of those two services doe snot require me to go to their gun free zone areas, I do not have to worry about it.

Never had to pick up a package before at the distribution hub? Mr. Lucky.

dust1n

Zindīq
No, I haven't.
Is that a thing?

Yeah, sometimes on a short delivery, they can't get to you in time, or the package get's left at hub, or if like the need signature and go for three attempts, they hold for a bit then mail it back. Only really a problem for things you were counting on arriving at a certain time.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
No, I haven't.
Is that a thing?
Yeah. There have been a few times I've had to go to one to ship something or pick up something that I wasn't home when it was delivered but had to pick it up because it required a signature to obtain.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
Yeah. There have been a few times I've had to go to one to ship something or pick up something that I wasn't home when it was delivered but had to pick it up because it required a signature to obtain.
Yeah, sometimes on a short delivery, they can't get to you in time, or the package get's left at hub, or if like the need signature and go for three attempts, they hold for a bit then mail it back. Only really a problem for things you were counting on arriving at a certain time.

then I have indeed gotten lucky with not having to go to a terminal...

dust1n

Zindīq
then I have indeed gotten lucky with not having to go to a terminal...

Yup. I worked at UPS seasonal a few times. In Florida I don't recall any such signs, but the UPS Hub here in Austin is pretty strict about it. Workers through security checkpoints and everything.

Mister_T

Forum Relic
Premium Member
in my entire life (here) i never heard that a friend or family memeber shot by gun , or even read it in news .
Neither have 99% of the people in here I imagine. I'm not sure on what basis you're presenting this fallacious statistic.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
To our foreign friends.
If you are not raised around firearms or exposed to them then you do not see why anyone would want one. Not all of us have firearms for self and family protection. Many of us have firearms for many other reasons. Some of us hunt, and just not for the sport of the kill, others use firearms for recreation as in target shooting or competition. Some of us live in remote areas and they are a tool, just like a shovel. When predators are killing your livestock it is necessary to take corrective action. So, we are not all "gun toting" people that are ridiculously portrayed in movie, and fictional books.
Sure, but all of the is true of for the "foreign friends" as well. The question is what is it about the United States that is different. And it is different, there is no debate that there is a difference. But there are hunters in other countries who use guns. There are sport target shooters in other countries. There are people who live in rural remote areas in other countries. The things you describe here are just as true in Canada, or Great Britain, or Germany etc. So what makes the US different?

I ask this question without prejudice or assumptions, but something is different.

popsthebuilder

Guns should be kept out of the hands of the unstable. To remove guns from civilians completely will leave us open to crime and a dictator government that we will have no defence against.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
http://www.perc.org/articles/old-west-violence-mostly-myth
Old West violence mostly myth
Once again as summer progresses, tourists are trying to recapture the romance of the West. Recalling the violent images fostered by Hollywood, they seek out ghost towns, ride horseback at dude ranches and take part in exciting re-enactments of conflicts among vigilantes, sheriffs, cowboys and Indians.
What they don't realize is that the violence of the West is largely a myth.
Yes, there were isolated examples of violence, but the true story of the American West is one of cooperation, not conflict.
My colleague Terry Anderson and I have been studying the history of the West for nearly 30 years. We found that wherever "people on the ground" got together, they generally found ways to cooperate rather than fight.
url-75.jpg

That's a sign at Dodge City, 1878.
http://libertarianstandard.com/2010/04/07/how-wild-was-the-wild-west-in-fact/
In Abilene, Ellsworth, Wichita, Dodge City, and Caldwell, for the years from 1870 to 1885, there were only 45 total homicides. This equates to a rate of approximately 1 murder per 100,000 residents per year.
In Abilene, supposedly one of the wildest of the cow towns, not a single person was killed in 1869 or 1870.
The violence of the Wild West is greatly exaggerated, and what we think of it is nothing more than fantasy and myth (You can thank the likes of Zane Grey).
I'm not disputing the fact that the west wasn't as violent as its mythology.
I don't see a comparison for violence for entire areas for the periods in question.