• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oregon campus shooting

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
no it's not , that's could be done, but need more hard work and patient and corporative from citizens .

Fantasy. Guns will always find their way into the US and into the wrong hands.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
How is this known?
Artifact analysis, looking at records, reading articles from the time, there is actually quiet a good amount of information about it. Granted recording keeping was quiet as good then, but that wouldn't be enough to account for the discrepancy. Even mass shootings. The real cowboy and "Wild" West just do not compare to the stories we tell. What we think of today is really nothing more than the setting for America's own mythical legends and heroes (we have Cowboys in the West during the mid-19th century rather medieval knights in dangerous forests) that didn't become a widespread belief in the early 20th century when the Western genre, especially in literature, began gaining an enthusiastic audience. And the image of the cowboy is very heavily and very deeply rooted in modern American culture.
Just a minor correction about firearms on military installations. Military personnel are not allowed to carry firearms unless it is their job (Military Police for instance) So basically military installations are basically "gun free zones". I'm not sure if the policy has changed since I was in, but if I had a personal firearm I had to turn it into the armory and check it out when I wanted it, or keep it off-base.
They aren't "gun free." It just means that shooters are very capable of planning accordingly. And obviously having more good guys with guns isn't making things better. They make plans, they form strategies of their attacks. An armed security guard won't be able to rush in and save the day because the shooter(s) will be waiting. And the last thing we need is a Hollywood shootout going on in a school. Really, the only effective way for this to work is to flood the schools with armed security who keep every hallway, every classroom, and every other room under surveliance.
Maybe if the media stopped giving out the person's name or using their picture it would remove one reason for some of these actions. Of course we know that this will never happen, how would they fill their news programs with interviews with anyone that was associated or had any contact(however minor)with them
From: http://nypost.com/2015/10/01/oregon-gunman-sought-fame-for-killing-idolized-ira-and-nazis/
I don't think stopping it would really have that much of an effect. What should be done though is comprehensive studies on schools to learn about the environment of them and what goes on, as well as work environments, because those two are the most frequently targeted. And because the shooter will not live, someone who is determined enough to plan things through is going to account for an armed security guard.
Most of America shares in Obama's frustration at how frequently these are becoming. Most of us agree that something has to be done, but certain politicians and organizations won't let it happen. We don't need to get rid of guns (we are far beyond the point of that being safe, which is really pathetic), but we do need to make them harder to get. If someone wants a gun, they'll get a gun. But we can make it harder for dangerous individuals to acquire them.

Last edited:

Godobeyer

the word "Islam" means "submission" to God
Premium Member
We have the Fourth Amendment... prohibits unreasonable searches and seizures. Unless the police have probable cause or there are exigent circumstances, they can't just walk up to a person and say "papers please" or frisk them.

that's happened here when someone accused by carry knife or danger item , so police check him .

Godobeyer

Premium Member
Fantasy. Guns will always find their way into the US and into the wrong hands.
so there is serious problem/default in security , here that's almost impossible to hear that a criminal use gun , or someone used a gun in fight .

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
that's happened here when someone accused by carry knife or danger item , so police check him .

Doing that is illegal here. We'd have to change the Constitution. Such a change like that will never happen because it opens the floodgates of taking away innumerable civil rights.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
so there is serious problem/default in security , here that's almost impossible to hear that a criminal use gun , or someone used a gun in fight .

You do not understand American law.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
the gun is not reachable in Algeria

Again, you do not understand American law. We have the Second Amendment to the Constitution which guarantees all Americans the right to own guns. Actually the laws need to be changed to make it easier for the average person to own, carry and learn how to use a gun. Any one person at that university could have stopped the bloodshed with a bullet to his head if they had a gun and used it quickly enough.

Apex

Somewhere Around Nothing
IF USA decide to ban guns
so USA is become empty of guns ,by what the criminals will kill more people ?
Really? By this logic then we should also not have any problems with drugs or alcohol (during prohibition). One thing history has proven true time and time again here in the US is that out-right bans do not work.

I am bet each of you ,at least know someone shoted or being killed by gun in family , or neighborhood , friend .
You just lost your bet.

Godobeyer

Premium Member
Really? By this logic then we should also not have any problems with drugs or alcohol (during prohibition). One thing history has proven true time and time again here in the US is that out-right bans do not work.
Gun is more dangerious item , drugs and alcohol may less .

so

You just lost your bet.
how ? do you ever know someone shot or killed by gun ?

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member
I am bet each of you ,at least know someone shoted or being killed by gun in family , or neighborhood , friend .
Nah. However, if one of my family members - besides my mom, my oldest sister and her daughter - got shot, I wouldn't care because they deserve it. Lol.

Godobeyer

Premium Member
Again, you do not understand American law. We have the Second Amendment to the Constitution which guarantees all Americans the right to own guns. Actually the laws need to be changed to make it easier for the average person to own, carry and learn how to use a gun. Any one person at that university could have stopped the bloodshed with a bullet to his head if they had a gun and used it quickly enough.
so that law is more sacred than GOD . no one could change it to ban guns ?
If there is no gun in USA , how he made his crime ?

Apex

Somewhere Around Nothing
Gun is more dangerious item , drugs and alcohol may less .
Did you even bother to look up the statistics on this?

Alcohol & Drug Stats
Alcohol-induced deaths: 29,001 (2013)
Drug-Induced Deaths: 46,471 (2013, both legal and illegal drugs)
Cocaine overdose deaths: ~5,000 (2013)
Heroin overdose deaths: ~8,500 (2013)

Firearm Stats

Homicides: 8,454 (2013)
Suicides: 21,175 (2013)

Looking at these numbers (for 2013) alcohol and drugs accounted for over 75 thousands deaths. Firearms accounted for a total of 29 thousand deaths. Which means drugs and alcohol were 2.5 times deadlier than firearms. Even just looking at heroin we see that it accounts for more deaths and the number of homicides by firearms. And going by your logic, the number of overdoses by heroin should be 0 because it is banned.

how ? do you ever know someone shot or killed by gun ?
No, I do not.

Sources:
http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/suicide.htm
http://www.drugwarfacts.org/cms/Causes_of_Death
http://www.drugabuse.gov/related-topics/trends-statistics/overdose-death-rates
https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/u...able_8_murder_victims_by_weapon_2009-2013.xls

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
Perhaps a bomb is not sufficiently personal or is more difficult to obtain and use, for these deranged killers.
You have to know how to make and handle bombs. Guns require neither.
There is also the personal message of a gun that bombs lack.
We have the Fourth Amendment... prohibits unreasonable searches and seizures. Unless the police have probable cause or there are exigent circumstances, they can't just walk up to a person and say "papers please" or frisk them.
True, but all the cops have to do is claim they smelled something. New York has stop and frisk, and it was brought up in Indianapolis.
I know someone who dead from an accidental shooting because he wasn't properly educated about guns. I also had a boss who lost a friend from an accidental shooting. They don't make it in the news that much, but it's kinda scary how many preventable deaths we have from people not knowing enough about guns.
In America, we have this idea that if you sacrifice security for freedom, you deserve neither. However, people do not fight against other regulations like they do guns. We support enhanced automobile safety, we like work-place safety standards, and we even have some strict building codes that tell us exactly what can and cannot go into a building, how the wiring must be installed, and often require code regulations that are designed to accommodate local natural disasters (such as Florida having building codes that have hurricanes in mind). But when it comes to guns, we go nuts. Even things that have nothing to do with guns, we go on about how the governments was to take our guns and criminalize legal gun owners. We're very paranoid about it, and very adamant that we have to have a gun to protect ourselves.