• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

orangutan making a paste from leaves to treat a wound.

Bear Wild

Wild Orangutan Uses Herbal Medicine to Treat His Wound

This article described how an Orangutan used a leaf of akar kuning (Fibraurea tinctoria) known for medicinal uses in humans to modify the leaves into a paste to apply to a wound. There is more we need to learn but it looks like the orangutan knew what type of leaf to use and to modify the leaves into a past to help heal a wound. Another example of how humans really are not that different than our other primate relatives.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
dcc8bf2f637976d173f23f5f71f14d88--smiling-animals-happy-animals.jpg

Dan From Smithville

Monsters! Monsters from the id! Forbidden Planet
Staff member
Premium Member

This article described how an Orangutan used a leaf of akar kuning (Fibraurea tinctoria) known for medicinal uses in humans to modify the leaves into a paste to apply to a wound. There is more we need to learn but it looks like the orangutan knew what type of leaf to use and to modify the leaves into a past to help heal a wound. Another example of how humans really are not that different than our other primate relatives.
It is an interesting observation. I wonder how wide spread it is. If so, how is it communicated among orangutans. It could be very insightful as information to our own evolution and social development considering it is a member of another group of the "Great Apes".

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.

Oh, I read about this today as well! Wow, just wow!

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member

Yup, wonderful stuff. Orangs are a very smart ape.

Hold

Abducted Member
Premium Member

Do the Orangs accept Medicare..?

One of the most magical and also most depressing experiences of my life was going into the jungle to see orangutans in Sumatra.

Such amazing creatures, and you can’t help but see the commonalities between the species.

The drive there and back through hour after hour of palm oil plantations where rainforest had stood was profoundly melancholic though. Just an intense nostalgia.

I’m not sure they will survive much longer in the wild :cry::monkeyface:

Bear Wild

One of the most magical and also most depressing experiences of my life was going into the jungle to see orangutans in Sumatra.

Such amazing creatures, and you can’t help but see the commonalities between the species.

The drive there and back through hour after hour of palm oil plantations where rainforest had stood was profoundly melancholic though. Just an intense nostalgia.

I’m not sure they will survive much longer in the wild :cry::monkeyface:
I just keep hoping that the human world wakes up and understand the precious gifts that the rest of nature are. There is knowledge, wonder, mystery and so much more in these places that when gone will take away treasures that make us the richer for sharing this world with.

One of my friends told me she had a pet orangutan when she was young.

Her dad had “acquired” it through his job with the government agency in charge of the forests. Many orangutans are killed so their young can be taken as pets.

The pets may be confiscated by government officials, often ( but far from always) today they will be given to sanctuaries, but less so in the past.

Government officials may also buy them as pets as reflects their “status”.

Her dad had died when she was an adolescent. She remembered the pet fondly.

I never knew how to view this situation or respond to it.

Hold

Abducted Member
Premium Member
Someday this planet is going to have to be shared with another sapient species.

It makes me wonder if the movie Planet of the Apes will become a reality.
I'm afraid we are far more advanced. Great ape species don't

slaughter animals for food, generally. Don't you know, we are not animals!

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Someday this planet is going to have to be shared with another sapient species.

It makes me wonder if the movie Planet of the Apes will become a reality.

I watched another documentary saying that several animal species are not far (10000 years or less) from their stone age. Some are already using wooden tools