• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Opinion On US Trasfering Control Of The Internet

technomage

Finding my own way
It seems that the Commerce Dept has transferred the last bit of control over the Internet over to, basically, the "global community".
Does anyone see a problem with this or is it a good move?

US transfer of Internet control years in the making, fueled by foreign pressure | Fox News
It seems ... wrong that a structure with multiple stakeholders should be monopolized by only one of those stakeholders, however good our intentions.

However, Fox's assertion that the decision to do so was "highly controversial" is more than a bit overstated.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Due to the decentralization of the Net, I can't see that this makes much difference.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
I had this crazy notion that the World Wide web was not controlled by one country.

At least that was what Tim Berners-Lee said, shortly before being arrested for treason and terrorism offences.

esmith

Veteran Member
After what happened on January 14th, I lost my ability to care:

Appeals Court Strikes Down FCC's Net Neutrality Rules - WSJ.com

When South Korea has internet connection speeds that just blow everything else out of the water:

Australia web speeds ranking dwindles to 40th place globally | News.com.au

and...just bots, bots and more....bots spying on us.

They'll probably politicise the whole internet into oblivion anyway (TPP anybody)?

The problem with the FCC is they were sticking their nose where they were not supposed to be, the old "camel's nose under the tent" tenet . The FCC only should have jurisdiction over "communications" broadcast over the airwaves not over anything that is transmitted by cable.