• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Only Allowing 4 Airline Flights In A Lifetime

F1fan

Veteran Member
Yeah, all we have here in the U.S. is Amtrak and freight trains, and it's gotten a lot harder to find open box cars these days (not kidding).

Amtrak is a nightmare. Even just trying to use their website can be torture.

I've ridden the train from the west coast to Chicago several times and I'm willing to put up with going two and a half days without a shower or a decent nights sleep, the rude conductors, the ridiculously expensive food, the missed connections, etc. all for typically at least twice the price of a plane ticket.

But on top of all that they're going to make me beg them to let me buy a ticket?

Nah, not when I can go over to Expedia or One travel, hit three buttons, and start packing.
That's the Southwest Chief, and it used to be a highly respected and desirable train. I've taken it to Chicago a few times over the years and it had gotten more crude and more expensive. That is what you get with American rail. They have tried to improve things in the last few years with government aid. A friend on mine who is a cyclist/photographer was given free travel and some money to go on a publicity tour with her bike all over the USA. She took photos and wrote about how easy it was for cyclists who wanted to tour the USA via Amtrak with a bike. I got to say it looked pretty tempting. I'm not sure it paid off with more customers.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
That's the Southwest Chief, and it used to be a highly respected and desirable train. I've taken it to Chicago a few times over the years and it had gotten more crude and more expensive. That is what you get with American rail. They have tried to improve things in the last few years with government aid. A friend on mine who is a cyclist/photographer was given free travel and some money to go on a publicity tour with her bike all over the USA. She took photos and wrote about how easy it was for cyclists who wanted to tour the USA via Amtrak with a bike. I got to say it looked pretty tempting. I'm not sure it paid off with more customers.

I remember the movie Silver Streak, which made train travel almost seem glamourous, like a "Love Boat" on rails. In terms of the actual experience, it's not much different from Greyhound, except they have food and beverage service on board, whereas Greyhound will stop at McDonald's or some other roadside eatery for meal breaks.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Greyhound is the pits.

I remember I was on a Greyhound bus heading back to Tucson from LA, and we were stopped at a station (Indio, I think). I was just sitting in the bus looking out the window, and I saw a Greyhound dog milling around the bus parking area. It looked exactly like the Greyhound logo, with all-white fur and very sleek looking. I wasn't sure if it was some kind of mascot or what.
Knowing Greyhound it was probably one of the drivers.

esmith

Veteran Member
Which is why disinformation is understood to be trash by the well-informed, and to be dismissed as a source.

Fortunately my opinion is well reasoned and based on fact, so not wrong in this case. It's funny that you don't agree that reputable media is a good thing, and a proper standard for well-informed people.
So it appears that you think that only your opinion is correct, huh?
You do kow what the definition of opinion is don't you?

F1fan

Veteran Member
So it appears that you think that only your opinion is correct, huh?
You do kow what the definition of opinion is don't you?
Correct opinions are correct because they can be shown to be reasonable. Thus far you haven’t acknowledged that poor quality media that spreads misinformation is bad and to be rejected.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Therefore?

Parenthetically:

My wife and I once spent a long vacation empowered, in part, by a 15-day Eurail pass. Europe with airline flight limits is nowhere near the same as North America with airline flight limits.​
Even moreso true here. Perth is the most diatanced city in the world (over 1 million people) and removing air flight would leave them basically marooned.

Hmm...ya know, it's almost sounding like a good idea...

esmith

Veteran Member
Correct opinions are correct because they can be shown to be reasonable. Thus far you haven’t acknowledged that poor quality media that spreads misinformation is bad and to be rejected.
Depends, if your are to stupid or lazy to look at a story and then do a little research you wouldn't have a problem with any media.

Dekavido

Reducing air travel is undoubtedly a step towards sustainability. If you're exploring ways to make your flights more eco-friendly, have you considered offsetting carbon emissions or opting for more fuel-efficient airlines? It's all about finding ways to minimize our environmental footprint while still enjoying the benefits of travel.

Dekavido

Reducing air travel is undoubtedly a step towards sustainability. If you're exploring ways to make your flights more eco-friendly, have you considered offsetting carbon emissions or opting for more fuel-efficient airlines? It's all about finding ways to minimize our environmental footprint while still enjoying the benefits of travel.
Also, if you're ever planning a flight and want to add a touch of luxury to your journey, have you checked out cheap business class tickets?
It's a great way to enhance your travel experience while still being conscious of your environmental impact.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Seems that a poll of the French indicated that 41% would support allowing on 4 airline flights in ones lifetime.
From Source
"A poll from research firm Consumer Science and Analytics Institute (CSA) found that 41% of citizens would support such a limit. That number rose to 59% support among 18-24-year-olds. The suggested limit, proposed by engineer Jean-Marc Jancovici, would apply to airtravel for business and pleasure. "
That must be tough on the government. ;0)

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
Whew. I guess I can still fly to New Orleans if I feel like it. Or drive, doesn't much matter to me one way or the other, though driving does take a lot longer. It's also a lot more comfy and I can stop along the way .