• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

One who sins is of the devil, and does not know God.

Johnlove

Repeating:

Johnlove, you clearly love the holy scriptures but 2 Tim 3 teaches we must study the Bible. I'd be delighted to tutor you in hermeneutics anytime for the asking.
Nothing wrong with studding the bible, as long as one does not believe he or she can come to know God, by doing so.

(1 Corinthians 2:10-13) “These are the very things that God has revealed to us through the Spirit, for the Spirit reaches the depts. Of everything, even the depths of God. After all, the depths of a man can only be known by his own spirit, not by any other man, and in the same way the depths of God can only be known by the Spirit of God”

Unification

Show me what the follow scripture could mean other than what it says.

(1 John 3:9) “No one who has been begotten by God sins; because God’s seed remains inside him, he cannot sin when he has been begotten by God.”

To me one who is begotten by God is one who he has made a home in. God’s seed is God is that not right? John says on who has God’s seed cannot sin.

Do you have a different way to read that?

(1 John 3:9-10) “No one who has been begotten by God sins; because God’s seed remains inside him, he cannot sin when he has been begotten by God. In this way we distinguish the children of God from the children of the devil: anybody not living a holy life and not loving his brother is no child of God’s.”

Here John tells us those who sin are children of the devil.

Do you have another way to read that?

(1 John 2:6) “But if anyone obeys his word, God’s love is truly made complete in him. This is how we know we are in him: Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus did”

Obey God’s Word is how one knows he or she are in God.

To be in God one must walk as Jesus walked. Did Jesus sin? If one sins are they living as Jesus lived?

Tell me know how I am reading scripture wrong.

If one sins he or she are of the devil. John explains that in the following scripture.

(1 John 3:9-10) “No one who has been begotten by God sins; because God’s seed remains inside him, he cannot sin when he has been begotten by God. In this way we distinguish the

l: anybody not living a holy life and not loving his brother is no child of God’s.”

When people no longer are able to listen to the truth they throw stones at the person who is speaking the truth.

Define "sin" please.

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
Define "sin" please.

Nothing wrong with studding the bible, as long as one does not believe he or she can come to know God, by doing so.

(1 Corinthians 2:10-13) “These are the very things that God has revealed to us through the Spirit, for the Spirit reaches the depts. Of everything, even the depths of God. After all, the depths of a man can only be known by his own spirit, not by any other man, and in the same way the depths of God can only be known by the Spirit of God”

Agreed. But the command was for already-saved persons to study.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
We want Johnlove to define sin.
The world knows sin as wrongdoing. But The Lord says thinking is also sin. And NOT doing what we can when we can is sin.

Johnlove

Agreed. But the command was for already-saved persons to study.
Paul told Timothy to read scripture. Timothy needed to read the Old Testament to help him convince people Jesus was the Christ.

Jesus told me to get more into God’s written Word also. Because Jesus knew that I would need to know the bible to be able to witness on the forums.

I did not need to read the bible to come to know God. Jesus personally taught me to know him. Jesus had been personally teaching me for over a year before he told me to get more into the written Word.

Reading the bible can be useful, but it will not bring one to know God.

(1 Corinthians 2:10-13) “These are the very things that God has revealed to us through the Spirit, for the Spirit reaches the depts. Of everything, even the depths of God. After all, the depths of a man can only be known by his own spirit, not by any other man, and in the same way the depths of God can only be known by the Spirit of God

By the way a saved person does not describe anyone but someone who has accepted Jesus as the Christ.

Saved does not mean one is on his or her way to heaven, and will make it there. If you think people assumption is correct then show me the scripture that say that assumption is true.

Jesus in the following scripture told us who it is that will go to heaven with him.

(Matthew 7:21-23) “It is not those who say to me, ‘Lord, Lord’, who will enter the kingdom of Heaven but the person who does the will of My Father in Heaven. When the day comes many will say to me, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, cast out demons in your name, work many miracles in your name?’ Then I shall tell them to their faces: I have never known you; away from me, you evil men!”

Johnlove

We want Johnlove to define sin.
The world knows sin as wrongdoing. But The Lord says thinking is also sin. And NOT doing what we can when we can is sin.
Let us start with any wrongdoing that one knows is wrong and deliberately commits.

Such a sin leads to death.

(1 John 5: 16) “If anybody sees his brother commit a sin that is not a deadly sin, he has only to pray, and God will give life to the simmer - not those who commit a deadly sin; for there is a sin that is death, and I will not say that you must pray about that. Every kind of wrongdoing is sin, but not all sin is deadly.

Hebrews explains a sin that leads to death.

(Hebrews 10:26-31) “If, after we have been given knowledge of the truth, we should deliberately commit any sins, then there is no longer any sacrifice for them. There is left only the dreadful prospect of judgment and of the fiery wrath that is to devour your enemies. -------------“

The Holy Spirit made sure we would understand just how important it is for one who knows God not to sin.

Acts 5:1-11) The Fraud of Ananias and Sapphira.

Johnlove

Let us start with any wrongdoing that one knows is wrong and deliberately commits.

Such a sin leads to death.

(1 John 5: 16) “If anybody sees his brother commit a sin that is not a deadly sin, he has only to pray, and God will give life to the simmer - not those who commit a deadly sin; for there is a sin that is death, and I will not say that you must pray about that. Every kind of wrongdoing is sin, but not all sin is deadly.

Hebrews explains a sin that leads to death.

(Hebrews 10:26-31) “If, after we have been given knowledge of the truth, we should deliberately commit any sins, then there is no longer any sacrifice for them. There is left only the dreadful prospect of judgment and of the fiery wrath that is to devour your enemies. -------------“

The Holy Spirit made sure we would understand just how important it is for one who knows God not to sin.

Acts 5:1-11) The Fraud of Ananias and Sapphira.
I did not expect you to answer my question. Thank you for trying.
“The Lord says thinking is also sin. And NOT doing what we can when we can is sin.”

"You say the Lord says thinking is also a sin". Is that so?

"You say not doing what we can when we can is sin?" Now how is anyone supposed to answer questions like that?

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
"You say not doing what we can when we can is sin?" Now how is anyone supposed to answer questions like that?
No. The question has been what dear Johnlove is sin that a believer does not, can not do?

You say anyone for/in/with Jesus CAN NOT sin. So we ask you. WHAT sin can a person not do? And you won't answer. Will you?

Johnlove

No. The question has been what dear Johnlove is sin that a believer does not, can not do?

You say anyone for/in/with Jesus CAN NOT sin. So we ask you. WHAT sin can a person not do? And you won't answer. Will you?
A Spiritual Christian can’t do any sin.

(1 John 3:9-10) “No one who has been begotten by God sins; because God’s seed remains inside him, he cannot sin when he has been begotten by God. In this way we distinguish the children of God from the children of the devil: anybody not living a holy life and not loving his brother is no child of God’s.”

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
A Spiritual Christian can’t do any sin.

Isn't it true a thought can be sinful? For instance Jesus said just looking at a person lustfully is a sin.
Also Jesus said that to do good to the least of Jesus 'brothers' leads to life but NOT doing good to the least of Jesus brothers leads to death which means a sin. Right? Are you following?

YOU say it is possible a person cannot sin. But it is not possible to always do good to the least of Jesus brothers. How can it be? We don't even know who they are.

Johnlove

Isn't it true a thought can be sinful? For instance Jesus said just looking at a person lustfully is a sin.
Also Jesus said that to do good to the least of Jesus 'brothers' leads to life but NOT doing good to the least of Jesus brothers leads to death which means a sin. Right? Are you following?
When one is being led by the Holy Spirit/Jesus he or she will do as God has them do. What God has a person do is always the right thing to do.
YOU say it is possible a person cannot sin. But it is not possible to always do good to the least of Jesus brothers. How can it be? We don't even know who they are.
You don’t understand. I personally ask Jesus what I am to do in every situation. Jesus tells me how I am supposed to respond to every situation.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Not knowing if you can know is a sin. God knows what you can and cannot do. If you do not do good when you can do good you are sinning.

Johnlove

Not knowing if you can know is a sin. God knows what you can and cannot do. If you do not do good when you can do good you are sinning.

That is right, and that is why Jesus gave us his Holy Spirit so we could always do as God wants.

(Romans 8: 4) “He did this in order that the law’s just demands might be satisfied in us, who behave not as our unspiritual nature but as the Spirit dictates.”

(Romans 8: 4-5) “This was so that the Law's requirements might be fully satisfied in us as we direct our lives not by our natural inclinations but by the Spirit.”

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
That is right, and that is why Jesus gave us his Holy Spirit so we could always do as God wants.

(Romans 8: 4) “He did this in order that the law’s just demands might be satisfied in us, who behave not as our unspiritual nature but as the Spirit dictates.”

(Romans 8: 4-5) “This was so that the Law's requirements might be fully satisfied in us as we direct our lives not by our natural inclinations but by the Spirit.”
What does "God wants" mean?

Johnlove

What does "God wants" mean?
Jesus/Holy Spirit will tell a person how he or she is to live, and for a person to do as they are told is what God wants.

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
Johnlove,

There are numerous scriptures that say reading the Bible without understanding it or interpreting it or studying it or dividing it accurately can be harmful. It looks as though you read and love the Bible but also tend to pray to hear voices or inspiration to confirm your doctrines... be careful. And study more/better!

Johnlove

Johnlove,

There are numerous scriptures that say reading the Bible without understanding it or interpreting it or studying it or dividing it accurately can be harmful. It looks as though you read and love the Bible but also tend to pray to hear voices or inspiration to confirm your doctrines... be careful. And study more/better!
If studding the bible was the way to come to know God, then Jesus would not have needed to give us his Holy Spirit.

The apostles, who were personally taught by Jesus for three years, did not come to know it all until after receiving the Holy Spirit.

(John 16:13) “But when the Spirit of truth comes he will lead you to the complete truth, since he will not be speaking as from himself but will say only what he has learnt; and he will tell you of the things to come.”

The written word is not the best form of communication. To know for sure what an author is saying, one needs to have the author explain what he or she meant.

That is why we need the Holy Spirit to explain what the Word of God is saying.

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
If studding the bible was the way to come to know God, then Jesus would not have needed to give us his Holy Spirit.

The apostles, who were personally taught by Jesus for three years, did not come to know it all until after receiving the Holy Spirit.

(John 16:13) “But when the Spirit of truth comes he will lead you to the complete truth, since he will not be speaking as from himself but will say only what he has learnt; and he will tell you of the things to come.”

The written word is not the best form of communication. To know for sure what an author is saying, one needs to have the author explain what he or she meant.

That is why we need the Holy Spirit to explain what the Word of God is saying.

Johnlove,

I've NEVER said we come to know God by studying. The Bible doesn't teach that, as you affirm here. I've said rather that already-saved Christians MUST study (desperately, some of them) to show themselves (already made) acceptable! We can start by acknowledging there are more verses than the ones you keep sharing from Matthew 7, John 16 and 1 Cor 2, and I say that to you in love! You must study. When you do, you will become a VERY powerful witness and apologist. I foresee that.