• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

One religion

Do you think that if a World War 3 caused a nuclear holocaust or some huge natural disaster that affected the whole world occurred (asteroid hitting earth or super volcano erupting, etc..) that the survivors might unite and form one religion. Maybe combining main concepts of every religion that would work in unison to promote a perfect religion and hopefully a society that will follow these laws. I would love to read people's opinions about this. thanks

horizon_mj1

I have thought about this several times, and am glad you brought the subject up. In order to have an absolute "one religion" do you feel that every one would have to share the same concepts of God, Gods, Satan, Heavan, Hell, Buda, Ganesha, Odin, ect. to be concisdered a religion? Or would it be that everyone could have their own beliefs, talk to each other without bias, and learn from each other? I honestly believe that every religion (or ehat some consider themselves to only having beliefs) hold truth. Devistation would bring people to an absolute reality that we are in need of each other and that beliefs should not set the stands to how we treat one another, but by just watching the news and listening to people talk, this is lost in day to day life. If you really what to know the answer to something, do you not look in every possible place in which that answer may lie? I do not understand why some people find one page that has a fraction to that answer and decide that is good enough.
Sorry for "rambleing". In short, I think it would lead to a unified way of survival, possibly ebbing into realm of religion, but doubtful.

Comicaze247

See the previous line
Do you think that if a World War 3 caused a nuclear holocaust or some huge natural disaster that affected the whole world occurred (asteroid hitting earth or super volcano erupting, etc..) that the survivors might unite and form one religion. Maybe combining main concepts of every religion that would work in unison to promote a perfect religion and hopefully a society that will follow these laws. I would love to read people's opinions about this. thanks
Sure, maybe in the beginning. But as people are all different, differing opinions will arise, eventually leading to divides.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

Sounds a tad one-sided to me. How about those who don't hold religious views?

horizon_mj1

They I would think would have a better contribution toward survival. They wouldn't be worried about the why.

rojse

RF Addict

I think that has far too much wishful thinking in there. Think about how vehemently people argue about religion now. I don't see that going away even in the face of a large-scale disaster. Perhaps during the disaster it might (although this is quite questionable) but in the aftermath, I think people will splinter off with their own theological views, if they ever joined up at all. And there will still be a question of atheism.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I believe that people started off with one faith/religion. As time went on, as more people filled the earth, people branched off due to differences in opinions. And later, religions themselves began to split. There is more than one denomination of Christianity, Judaism, even Buddhism has more than one type. If it all started over again, with a nuclear war, the same thing would happen all over again.
Religion changes- but God is constant.

no_spoon

Short answer: maybe. Long answer: I think God and the Universe are both too big (and more importantly we are too irrational and herd oriented) for everyone to agree. Side note: I believe that atheists and theists tend to distrust each other, but if we could get past that impulse we would have a better chance of agreeing than two theists of different religions. I answered "maybe" because the catastrophe you speak of *might* untangle the history of the various religions/philosophies from what people believed. So much effort is wasted trying to differentiate and defend and keep "pure" the religions/philosophies that would (in my opinion) be better spent in dialog and trying to improve our understanding of our place in the Universe, and pass along a kinder world to the next generation.

But, of course, in the back of my mind I also have the image from the movie "Life of Brian" where he throws his sandal and a gourd at the crowd so they'll stop following him everywhere, and half the crowd splits up to follow the holy sandal, and half follows the holy gourd.

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend san miguel,

One religion

Firstly religion means a PATH or a WAY to unite or merge with the source of life.
Like they say, * All roads lead to Rome*; likewise all religion leads to the same place.

The problem is not religion/paths/ways but the MIND which fails to understand that the objective of taking/choosing/selecting a path depends on each persons suitability depending on personal qualities/preferences etc.
One may travel to a place by plane first class or by bus or by car etc likewise people choose a religion to merge with the source.

So, kindly allow the MIND to grow in understanding as variety is the spice of life. Be one in approach to religion.
LOve & rgds

I think it is possible for a new religion to evolve, out of the new requirements for survival.

Something like if for a thousand years people need to wear a cloth over their mouths to prevent breathing in volcanic ash or whatever, that cloth will be slow to go away, even after it's safe to breathe the air. This cloth could eventually acquire a different meaning, a spiritual or ritual meaning.

But 250 survivors huddled in a cave, no, they'll all be focused on survival first, they will not immediately reconcile their religions. It might and could come in time... most likely splintering again, if our species lasts that long.

Interesting to think about, thanks for posting.

Smoke

Done here.
Once two Christians were shipwrecked, and forced to live alone on a desert island for many years. At long last, a passing ship rescued the castaways. When the sailors rowed ashore, they found three churches on the island.

"There's just the two of you," said a crewman. "Why do you have three churches?"

"Well," said a castaway, "This is the church I go to, and that is the church he goes to. And that over there," he grimaced, "that is the church that neither of us goes to."