• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

one of God's elect?

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
Who here thinks they are one of God’s elect?

I think I am

Why?

Because although I sometimes stray away from Him I always end up returning to Him

I believe in the Calvinist notion of “Irresistible Grace”

That if God wants you there is no means of escaping Him

I think that the reason why I always return to God is because of irresistible grace

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
With what apparatus do you think God has the ability to discriminate?

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Not me. I am volatile, for all God knows and I know, I turn on my back and end up in hell fire. I am a just mortal trying to make it to God and paradise.

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
?
what are you talking about?
I shall elaborate:

I mean that if you are one of God's elect then you cannot resist the fact that he wants you saved

You can ignore him and go your own way but his divine providence will always bring you back to him and into a state of grace

This over-rides your own free will

I think this has happened to me, repeatedly

syo

I shall elaborate:

I mean that if you are one of God's elect then you cannot resist the fact that he wants you saved

You can ignore him and go your own way but his divine providence will always bring you back to him and into a state of grace

This over-rides your own free will

I think this has happened to me, repeatedly
The Gods are deist, they don't have a ''pet'' mentality. We aren't pets, and there is nothing to be saved. Saved from what??? Death??? Really??? If death is ''bad'' then what???

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
The Gods are deist, they don't have a ''pet'' mentality. We aren't pets, and there is nothing to be saved. Saved from what??? Death???
God is a Theist

(I can make claims too)

And no, he doesn't have a pet mentality

But he does get to decide who progresses on to the next level once this world is finished

Therefore he saves the elect from the consequences of not progressing on to the next level

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member

I think I am

Why?

Because although I sometimes stray away from Him I always end up returning to Him

I think that the reason why I always return to God is because of irresistible grace
Elect through faith by grace. Nothing irresistible about it.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member

I think I am

Why?

What is the purpose of election?

Are all Christians of the elect?

Jesus chose Judas......where was the irresistible grace?

mangalavara

सो ऽहम्
Premium Member

I think I am

Why?

I think that the reason why I always return to God is because of irresistible igrace

Although I am a Hindu, I find this topic a bit interesting. I know about it because my father is a Christian and he believes in the five points of Calvinism. What you call Irresistible Grace is of course one of those five points or doctrines. When I was a Christian, I was deeply interested in soteriology, so I learned a lot about the views of Augustine, Chrysostom, Luther, Calvin, and Arminius on the 'mechanics' of salvation. Moreover, I used to read certain Pauline epistles back then through the lenses of those soteriologies in order to find out which one was more consistent with Paul's writings. My eventual conclusion, which I came to shortly before leaving Christianity, was that the best way to understand Paul's soteriology is to ask him for clarification on it, which can't be done today without a time machine.

The doctrine of Irresistible Grace is of course tied to the doctrine of Unconditional Election, the teaching that the specific human individuals who are meant to obtain salvation in Christ were chosen for it before creation and not according to any foreseen merit of their own. Because they are unconditionally chosen for salvation, they have to be irresistibly drawn to Christ by God and never die in unbelief. With respect to human beings who were not elected to salvation, some Calvinists believe in double predestination while others don't. Double predestination is the view that just as some individuals were elected or predestined to salvation, other individuals were predestined to damnation. What my father told me is that everybody equally deserves damnation, but God chose to save some of them to the praise of his mercy and to leave the rest to damnation to the praise of his justice.

In Hinduism, there is a doctrine about election found in the Kaṭha Upaniṣad, which is one of the Vedic scriptures, but the teaching is very, very different from any Christian understanding of election. It has absolutely nothing to do with Israel, the Church, Jesus of Nazareth, salvation, damnation, etc. Instead, it is concerned with how an individual attains the ultimate goal, namely, mokṣa, liberation from the cycle of death and rebirth. The Upaniṣad says, "This Soul (Ātman) is not to be obtained by instruction, / Nor by intellect, nor by much learning. / He is to be obtained only by the one whom He chooses; / To such a one that Soul (Ātman) reveals his own person" (Kaṭha Upanishad 2.23). In other words, realization of the Self or Ātman (translated Soul in the quotation), who is the very source of existence as we know it, occurs when the Self chooses to reveal itself to an individual. Academic or intellectual knowledge about the Self will not directly make us Self-realized. Lastly, considering that the Vedas teach that we live countless lifetimes in the cycle of death and rebirth, there is no concept of everlasting damnation in Hinduism. Madhvāchārya might beg to differ though.

My apologies for the long post.
Works Cited​

Kaṭha Upanishad. The Thirteen Principal Upanishads: Translated from the Sanskrit with an Outline of the Philosophy of the Upanishads and an Annotated Bibliography, translated by Robert Ernest Hume, Oxford University Press, 1921, pp. 341-61. Internet Archive, archive.org/details/thirteenprincipa028442mbp.