• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

One good thing from the Corona virus.

shmogie

This pandemic is a terrible thing, and there are going to be serious consequences from it for the world.

One good thing it has provided is to show clearly, before it is too late, is the control of the Republic we have given China, and how it can do us extreme harm.

When trade with China began, the idea was that it would open China, and make them more like us regarding liberty of their people. It hasn't worked. They are more repressive now than before.

Our trade has given the repressive communist party of China the ability to become a world economy, and a nation that has built it's military to become a direct challenge to us. Without the monetary resources from massive trade, this could never have happened.

Much, much more importantly, they totally control the supply of certain commodities and goods we need, because we have surrendered the production of these items to them, because they can do it cheaply.

The most important of these is medicines, is prescription drugs. 80% of our prescription drugs are manufactured in China, or come from ingredients from China.

Offended by something or other, their state run newspaper threatened to put us "in the middle of the hell of the corona virus", by stopping the outflow of these drugs and medical equipment to the US

They have tipped their hand, and we should be thankful for it.

We can now concentrate of returning this kind of production to the US, and we see clearly the massive threat they pose.

China is a direct economic competitor to the US, and their desire to be the dominant world power is clear.

In essence, China is our enemy, and we stupidly have given our enemy much power over us, the Chinese corona virus blasts this out for all to see. It is the wake up call we sorely needed. The call comes at a high price, and that is very sad, yet it is one good thing to come from the pandemic.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I'm going to agree with you again (there's a flock of pigs overhead).

One of the consequences of invoking the "Defense Production Act" (see a thread I just started), is that the President now has the power to change this.

I'm all in favor of free trade but not with a country that uses it as a weapon of economic war as China has been doing.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
These are some rich statements to make given that they are in support of the most warlike nation on the planet. The U.S. is especially good at making up enemies and creating new ones by being needlessly hostile.

What China has done to the U.S. is a mere fraction of what the U.S. has done to countries like Vietnam, Iraq, and Afghanistan. Perhaps one should look to clean up their own backyard before accusing distant neighbors of being the "enemy."

shmogie

I'm going to agree with you again (there's a flock of pigs overhead).

One of the consequences of invoking the "Defense Production Act" (see a thread I just started), is that the President now has the power to change this.

I'm all in favor of free trade but not with a country that uses it as a weapon of economic war as China has been doing.
Those pigs are beautiful with those wings, no? I am so happy that hope remains for you, you are beginning to see the light of the Right.....................

It is kind crazy to be so eager to make a buck, that you allow your throat to be cut.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
These are some rich statements to make given that they are in support of the most warlike nation on the planet. The U.S. is especially good at making up enemies and creating new ones by being needlessly hostile.

What China has done to the U.S. is a mere fraction of what the U.S. has done to countries like Vietnam, Iraq, and Afghanistan. Perhaps one should look to clean up their own backyard before accusing distant neighbors of being the "enemy."

Governments, right? :shrug:

Can't live with them, can't seem to live without them.

shmogie

An enemy is an enemy is an enemy, based on their actions. China is an enemy of the US whether you like it or not.

I know a bit about VN, I lost friends there, so your whining cuts no ice with me, ditto for the others.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
An enemy is an enemy is an enemy, based on their actions. China is an enemy of the US whether you like it or not.

I know a bit about VN, I lost friends there, so your whining cuts no ice with me, ditto for the others.

Typical warmongering rhetoric. Such a bleak and hateful outlook to have, in my opinion.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Meanwhile hate crimes against Asians especially Chinese and Chinese Americans have gone up a thousand fold, and the dissemination of blame and the quickness of making enemies has made it even less safe than usual here.
FIRST ON CBS7: Suspect admits he tried to kill family at Midland Sam's Club

I heard about that on the radio this morning. Never even crossed my mind to blame some random Asian I meet in the street for the Coronavirus.

https://nypost.com/2020/03/17/asian-woman-assaulted-in-manhattan-blamed-for-coronavirus-cops/

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
In essence, China is our enemy, and we stupidly have given our enemy much power over us,
Why do you think China is our enemy?
Compared to Russia?

I see Russia as a much more dangerous enemy.

All three are global rivals for superpower status. But China is a trade rival and Russia is a military rival. Russia is more of an immediate danger to USA global hegemony. China can afford to wait until Putin wins the USA to start their serious push.
Tom

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

Certainly, Ameristan has done its share of evil in the world.
You listed just a fraction. Nonetheless, this doesn't make
China any less of a threat, one which we should face
squarely, thoughtfully, & resolutely, with peace & security
as the goals.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Here's another good thing about Covid19.

The huge steps being taken to prevent the spread of C19 are also going to reduce viral infections from everything else. I'll bet that the overall death rate from viral infections will be lower in 2020 than 2019.
The virus will save lives, in the statistical sense.
Tom

esmith

Veteran Member
Compared to Russia?

All three are global rivals for superpower status. But China is a trade rival and Russia is a military rival. Russia is more of an immediate danger to USA global hegemony. China can afford to wait until Putin wins the USA to start their serious push.
Tom
You don't see China as a military power? Depends on what your opinion of a military power is though doesn't it.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
You don't see China as a military power? Depends on what your opinion of a military power is though doesn't it.
I think Russia is more of a military rival, and a more dangerous one.

China is different. They've got other ways of knocking the USA off the top of the Hill.
But both countries want to knock the USA off the top. Russia is using strategic alliances, like Iran and Syria. China is using trade and financial imbalances. They're both getting stronger, while the USA is losing ground.

By the time they've reached their goals, Trump won't be in office anymore. But still...
Tom

esmith

Veteran Member
I think Russia is more of a military rival, and a more dangerous one.

China is different. They've got other ways of knocking the USA off the top of the Hill.
But both countries want to knock the USA off the top. Russia is using strategic alliances, like Iran and Syria. China is using trade and financial imbalances. They're both getting stronger, while the USA is losing ground.

By the time they've reached their goals, Trump won't be in office anymore. But still...
Tom
Tell the countries around the South China Sea that China is only a economic threat.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Tell the countries around the South China Sea that China is only a economic threat.
Tell me which countries around the South China Sea are the sole remaining superpower and then this post will be relevant to something.
Until then...
Tom

shmogie

Compared to Russia?

Tom
Perhaps. Russia militarily is a paper tiger. it has nukes, which makes it dangerous. It's army is primarily ill trained conscripts, and it's air force is behind us in R and D. It has some good planes, but the numbers are restricted because of cost, ditto for quality warships, they have two non nuclear aircraft carriers. Economically, it is way down the list of comparative economies of the world. Russia is pretty much status quo.

Putin is winning nothing in conflict with us.

China is surging, and terrorizing most Pacific nations, their navy is larger than ours, though the quality of their ships and crews haven't equaled ours, ditto for air force. Their army is massive compared to ours, a million soldiers, at least.

China is weaponizing economic leverage, using out right blackmail in some cases. They are close behind us in economic power.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Those pigs are beautiful with those wings, no? I am so happy that hope remains for you, you are beginning to see the light of the Right.....................

It is kind crazy to be so eager to make a buck, that you allow your throat to be cut.
Don't get your hopes up. But I do have to acknowledge that sometimes you have good ideas. Otherwise I'm not true to my beliefs.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Perhaps. Russia militarily is a paper tiger. it has nukes, which makes it dangerous. It's army is primarily ill trained conscripts, and it's air force is behind us in R and D. It has some good planes, but the numbers are restricted because of cost, ditto for quality warships, they have two non nuclear aircraft carriers. Economically, it is way down the list of comparative economies of the world. Russia is pretty much status quo.

Putin is winning nothing in conflict with us.

China is surging, and terrorizing most Pacific nations, their navy is larger than ours, though the quality of their ships and crews haven't equaled ours, ditto for air force. Their army is massive compared to ours, a million soldiers, at least.

China is weaponizing economic leverage, using out right blackmail in some cases. They are close behind us in economic power.
They always were regarded as the third superpower during the years of the Warsaw pact second only to the USSR.

Personally I think China is trying to do to us what we did to the Soviet Union. Make it self implode without firing a shot.