• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

On the showing of the “pride flag, and appropriate activism.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
I thought flags were just a meaningless piece of cloth to you.
They symbolize something, but it's still cloth. Burning any flag doesn't magically harm what it represents.
The American flag for example represents freedom, and burning said flag is an exercise of that freedom. It's not the flag that's important but the message, so burning may harm the flag, but banning the burning harms the message.

Same with the LGBT flag, if a bigot wanted to burn one as a gesture of their bigotry, they can (provided the flag was their property.) I obviously disagree, but that's their right/freedom.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Perhaps we need more flags on display, not less. :)
You know, I actually disagree. All these flags and symbols and tokens and totems, and special days, weeks and months -- what they're all about is trying to highlight where injustice may be found, in the hope that we can find some way to reduce that injustice.

When people accept other people as they are, colour, race, sexuality, language, beliefs and all the rest -- with the simple caveat that we do no harm to others when we can help it -- then we will be able to take down the flags, turn the symbols and tokens and totems, days, weeks and months to more useful purposes.

All we have to do is stop hating and fearing others for not being just like us. And in doing so, we might surprise ourselves by how much richer our world can be.

As a Humanist, I celebrate other cultures, other viewpoints -- and I benefit from fabulous foods that I might never have eaten, stories I may never have heard, music that values new harmonic progressions, artforms that challenge what I could have imagined before.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
They symbolize something, but it's still cloth. Burning any flag doesn't magically harm what it represents.
The American flag for example represents freedom, and burning said flag is an exercise of that freedom. It's not the flag that's important but the message, so burning may harm the flag, but banning the burning harms the message.
^^^^^^^
This, folks!

Extremely well-said, bravo! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Zwing

There is Straight Pride flag.

41cDbC0J+lL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg
I wouldn’t want to see that at the Audubon Center, either! Perhaps if they had a flag with bluebirds on it…

Zwing

Honestly, some gays are heterophobic. They'll call straight people "breeders", gay men will call women "fish" and so on.
I mean to be completely fair, I’ve heard similar sentiments from heterosexual men.
Usually towards women
I don’t know why people feel compelled to… I mean, sex is private, and should be left to people’s private discretion. For my part, I have always found any kind of sex to be somewhat embarrassing to discuss, all that humping and all…

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
I don’t know why people feel compelled to… I mean, sex is private, and should be left to people’s private discretion. For my part, I have always found any kind of sex to be somewhat embarrassing to discuss, all that humping and all…
Whilst I agree.
I mean. It is kind of a “vital” part of a lot of people’s lives. So it will be a natural talking point among friends

I will say, the US has a kind of an odd hang up about it.
Like I grew up on nudity, sex talks, frank sex education ect.
That doesn’t seem to be the experience when I speak to Americans (not all.)
So I’m perfectly okay with discussing my sexual needs among my friends. My US friends…ehhhh it differs

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
As a Humanist, I celebrate other cultures, other viewpoints -- and I benefit from fabulous foods that I might never have eaten, stories I may never have heard, music that values new harmonic progressions, artforms that challenge what I could have imagined before.
Lol reminds me of our cultural celebrations
Usually we want to rid our overcrowded fridges of overflowing food. But if it’s food gained during a religious festival, it’s considered “sinful” to throw it away.
So I just take it all to work. If they throw it out, that’s their business, not mine.
Does result in a couple of burnt tongues though
Oops

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Whilst I agree.
I mean. It is kind of a “vital” part of a lot of people’s lives. So it will be a natural talking point among friends

I will say, the US has a kind of an odd hang up about it.
Like I grew up on nudity, sex talks, frank sex education ect.
That doesn’t seem to be the experience when I speak to Americans (not all.)
So I’m perfectly okay with discussing my sexual needs among my friends. My US friends…ehhhh it differs
Even Americans who have absolutely no problem with it still might find it jarring simply due to not being used to hearing it discussed openly.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Trust me on this -- if love is involved in whatever you're doing, "humping" isn't ever a part of it.

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
Even Americans who have absolutely no problem with it still might find it jarring simply due to not being used to hearing it discussed openly.
That…:I’m not going to lie, worries me.
Because, imo, in order to have a good and healthy relationship with sex, you have to tackle it head on. So to speak.

We Never Know

No Slack
Well it is subjective.

So let me put it this way. Take a quick look at all of the threads on this board that have been started on a lgbtq topic, and how many of those were started by members of the lgbtq community and how many have been started by someone complaining about something related to the lgbtq community?
Talking about this thread right? That's what you said.

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
If straight is a lifestyle, they all are.
Ahh so straight is a lifestyle then?
Okay, describe your lifestyle.
I’ll bet we have some differing lifestyles.
Almost like people are more than just who they err like to end up in bed with, eh?;) :grimacing:
Or maybe that’s all who we are, idk

We Never Know

No Slack
Ahh so straight is a lifestyle then?
Okay, describe your lifestyle.
I’ll bet we have some differing lifestyles.
Almost like people are more than just who they err like to end up in bed with, eh?;) :grimacing:
Or maybe that’s all who we are, idk
"Ahh so straight is a lifestyle then?"

Why the ?... You said it was.. I'm just going with your lead.

Do we have a flag?
If so, fly it alongside. I don’t see any issue. But straight people constantly constantly push their lifestyle in other people’s faces.
What goes around comes around. Now it’s our turn. Suck it up, Princess. I say that as a straight person

Last edited:

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
"Ahh so straight is a lifestyle then?"

Why the ?... You said it was.. I'm just going with your lead.
Because the common criticism of homosexuality was that it was a “sinful lifestyle.”
I realise that my sarcasm doesn’t always translate well in text form, due to the lack of tonal inflections. And I apologise for that.
I kind of figured such a criticism was in the “minds of the mainstream enough” (if you follow) that folks here would naturally pick up on my jab.
Apologies if I made that unclear or made too many assumptions