• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Omniscience is impossible.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
Oh no, you are under no obligation to understand the education intended for Voltaire.

I am afraid the fact you didn't even understand the reference to Leibniz ( or Voltaire ) makes you ill-suited to educate anyone on this matter, let alone Voltaire himself.

Axe Elf

Prophet
I am afraid the fact you didn't even understand the reference to Leibniz ( or Voltaire ) makes you ill-suited to educate anyone on this matter, let alone Voltaire himself.

Don't be afraid; everything will be all right. After all, this IS the best of all possible universes, you know...

Bob the Unbeliever

You don't know my God. You know THEIR god.

My God is...

6a00d834515f9b69e20162fd668a0f970d-320wi

(Triune)
and this...

s468155868399829674_p29_i3_w295.jpeg

(God is One)

and even this...
3d-yin-yang-symbol-logos.jpg

How does God allow evil to exist if he is all-powerful?

1. Evil exists to test us.
  2. Evil is an illusion, because humans have knowledge of good and evil, and are thus not in sync with God's Truth.
  3. Evil is because YOU behave in a way that is outside the natural order.

I see nothing in your post which functionally differentiates your evil god with their evil god.

How on EARTH is mass-death, thousands dead, going to TEST anyone? The dead are dead-- and beyond such considerations.

Thus, your #1 is objectively false.

#2? You have no evidence in support, so it can simply be dismissed as unsubstantiated claim.

#3? How ... judgmental of you. You also grant me Immense Power-- apparently, my personal behavior is directly responsible for volcanoes, hurricanes, tornadoes and other things. Who knew I had such Power?

*boom*

Bob the Unbeliever

God did not create evil he created man lacking faith that God is in control. The author of creation story used the tree of knowledge of good and evil to covertly illustrate this point. Although God pronounced everything "good" man lacked the faith to believe it, this lack of faith illustrates the obstacle folks call sin that is separation from believing God is in control. :)

IF your god is in control?

THEN it logically follows that ALL evil is at the behest of this god of yours.

Conclusion: Your god is evil, for permitting and even promoting evil--regardless of any "higher" motives it may or may not have.

Axe Elf

Prophet
THEN it logically follows that ALL evil is at the behest of this god of yours.

You say that like it's a bad thing. If it wasn't for a few moments of intermittent evil by which to contrast and identify goodness here in this blip of a physical life, we would not have been able to appreciate an eternity of goodness in the presence of God. Things exist only in contrast to their negation.

I thank this God of mine for creating the best of all possible universes, and all of the experiences He deemed necessary to it.

"I form the light, and create darkness. I make peace, and create evil. I, the Lord, do all these things." --Isaiah 45:7

Faithofchristian

As to where do people come by, that God is omniscient ?
When you can not even find the word omniscient throughout the Bible.
Where is it written that God is all knowing.

Where does this all come from, As God being all knowing, This all comes from man's teachings and doctrines, from peoples Pastor's, Preachers, that's where.

Then people takes what they have been taught and off they go, telling other people, who possibly don't have a clue or idea themselves.

Instead of checking it out first, Nope they just take what they been told and off they go.
In speading their falsehoods.

sealchan

Where does this all come from, As God being all knowing, This all comes from man's teachings and doctrines, from peoples Pastor's, Preachers, that's where.

Then people takes what they have been taught and off they go, telling other people, who possibly don't have a clue or idea themselves.

Instead of checking it out first, Nope they just take what they been told and off they go.

I believe the closest it comes is for God himself creating the Universe...but when is omniscience a requirement to create anything.

Story-wise it is best to understand God as more knowledgable, but leave room open for a backstory...

Bob the Unbeliever

The bible's descriptions of it's god are pretty clear-- and no, the word "omniscient" isn't used. But the language is pretty certain that the bible's god is supposed to be all knowing-- knowing everyone, and everything.

And that's the problem-- the bible is such a mish-mash of conflicting descriptions, inconsistent imagery, and downright misleading phraseology?

That if you took all the descriptions the bible has for it's deity, you'd find that it was an impossible being.

You cannot have an all-good being, what also created evil. (for example)

Likewise, you cannot have an all-loving being that uses infinite torture on it's subjects.

Thus, at least some of the bible is wrong. It's very likely that it is all wrong-- what sort of negligent deity would permit such mistakes to even happen in the first place?

sealchan

The bible's descriptions of it's god are pretty clear-- and no, the word "omniscient" isn't used. But the language is pretty certain that the bible's god is supposed to be all knowing-- knowing everyone, and everything.

And that's the problem-- the bible is such a mish-mash of conflicting descriptions, inconsistent imagery, and downright misleading phraseology?

That if you took all the descriptions the bible has for it's deity, you'd find that it was an impossible being.

Likewise, you cannot have an all-loving being that uses infinite torture on it's subjects.

Thus, at least some of the bible is wrong. It's very likely that it is all wrong-- what sort of negligent deity would permit such mistakes to even happen in the first place?

An non-omniscient deity who created beings who know Him imperfectly. Perhaps God is more like us than most care to admit.

Faithofchristian

Well first the bible isn't misleading, it's people who have no clue or idea about the bible.
There is no where in the bible that indicates God as being all knowing.

But there are places in the Bible that do indicates that God is not all knowing.

Take for instance Satan, God did not know beforehand that Satan was wicked, till wickedness was found in him.

Therefore if God is all knowing, then why didn't God know Satan was wicked ?