• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

omega2xx, probe away!

omega2xx

I could ask the same of you, really. Why do you believe in a duality of absolutes and the idea of sin? It's just part of your belief system, as the lack of duality is part of mine. This lack of duality is what I see when I look at the world. I see nothing that only has positive or negative consequences, every action produces some amount of both.

With all the horrible things we see people doing to others, ISIS beheading people, blowing up innocent people, including children it seems illogical to say sin is not real. It also seem logical that if their is a God, He must have standards of morality. My God does and fornication and adultery head the list. You said you have many Gods, what is their standard of morality/

We can't. Nobody has proof of anything. We just have to trust our experiences and have faith that our worldview is on the right track to reality.

Experience is not a good teacher of morality. What my experiences as a non-believer have been proven wrong now that I am a Christian. Plus you have nothing out side of your self to judge if an experience is good or not.

]As for all of the points about love, I'm not going to continue with that. When two people disagree on what I would say is one of the most fundamental aspects of the human experience (that being love), there is no hope for a discussion on the topic. I have a very different view of love than you do, that's clear. You are happily married long enough (I assume) to be set in your ways so I have no chance or even a need to convince you that love is much more diverse than you think it is. As long as you don't try to stop others from being happy, it doesn't matter what you do on your own time. I am perfectly content in my relationship and my attitudes towards love and sex have brought me nothing but happiness throughout my life, the emotions I feel are not going to change because someone else told me they're wrong.

That's fine. Have a nice life.

lovesong

:D
Premium Member
It also seem logical that if their is a God, He must have standards of morality. My God does and fornication and adultery head the list. You said you have many Gods, what is their standard of morality/

They have their own personal standards, just like we have our personal standards. The gods are individuals with their own thoughts and personalities just like us, they aren't all going to agree on one moral standard. We can kind of get an idea of their individual moral compasses through the myths, but in the end, their sense of morality really doesn't matter.

What my experiences as a non-believer have been proven wrong now that I am a Christian. Plus you have nothing out side of your self to judge if an experience is good or not.

I can keep saying that nobody has proof of their religion over and over, but I don't think that's going to matter, is it. We both have our experiences, we both have other people people who share our experiences, and we both have texts that agree with us, if that proves yours then it proves mine, right?

omega2xx

They have their own personal standards, just like we have our personal standards. The gods are individuals with their own thoughts and personalities just like us, they aren't all going to agree on one moral standard. We can kind of get an idea of their individual moral compasses through the myths, but in the end, their sense of morality really doesn't matter.

I can keep saying that nobody has proof of their religion over and over, but I don't think that's going to matter, is it. We both have our experiences, we both have other people people who share our experiences, and we both have texts that agree with us, if that proves yours then it proves mine, right?

What text do you have that teach what you believe?

omega2xx

We have the stories of the gods, the ancient mythologies tell us about who the gods are.

The god's of mythology are not Gods. There is only one true God and He is the only one with the truth about this life and the next. You can't find spiritual truth from that which is not God.

lovesong

Premium Member
The god's of mythology are not Gods. There is only one true God and He is the only one with the truth about this life and the next. You can't find spiritual truth from that which is not God.
But you see, I am a polytheist. I believe in many gods. Is this just turning into an "I'm right. No I'm right!" thing? What happened to the lively back and forth we had in the first few posts! Tsk tsk. :p

omega2xx

But you see, I am a polytheist. I believe in many gods. Is this just turning into an "I'm right. No I'm right!" thing? What happened to the lively back and forth we had in the first few posts! Tsk tsk. :p

I haven said I am right. I simply pointed out that myths are just that and that myths are not true. It seems rather illogical to put one's faith is something that is not real. Faith is of no value unless it has the right object. IMO you are too intelligent to think Zeus is an actual living god.

lovesong

Premium Member
I haven said I am right. I simply pointed out that myths are just that and that myths are not true. It seems rather illogical to put one's faith is something that is not real. Faith is of no value unless it has the right object. IMO you are too intelligent to think Zeus is an actual living god.
There's no difference between my mythology and yours, it's all just religious stories. Also, by saying that my religious stories are not true, you are saying that I'm wrong, which is pretty close to just saying you're right. :p

omega2xx

There's no difference between my mythology and yours, it's all just religious stories.

That depends on if the God I worship is a living being and not a myth.

Also, by saying that my religious stories are not true, you are saying that I'm wrong, which is pretty close to just saying you're right. :p

Not even close. The standard definition of a myth is that it is not true. I just pointed that out.

We both think we are right or we would not be having this discussion.:p

lovesong

Premium Member
That depends on if the God I worship is a living being and not a myth.

I believe that my gods are living beings.

Not even close. The standard definition of a myth is that it is not true. I just pointed that out.

The actual definition is "a traditional story, especially one concerning the early history of a people or explaining some natural or social phenomenon, and typically involving supernatural beings or events." But if you really insist, I can start calling them "religious stories," does that help?

omega2xx

I believe that my gods are living beings.

The actual definition is "a traditional story, especially one concerning the early history of a people or explaining some natural or social phenomenon, and typically involving supernatural beings or events." But if you really insist, I can start calling them "religious stories," does that help?

Changing the name will not make a myth a reality.

lovesong

Premium Member
Changing the name will not make a myth a reality.
Ok, I guess we've officially got to the point where we're just like "well your religion isn't true," "but I think it is." That just sounds like an endless loop of no fun if you ask me.

omega2xx

Ok, I guess we've officially got to the point where we're just like "well your religion isn't true," "but I think it is." That just sounds like an endless loop of no fun if you ask me.

I haven't said you religion isn't true.l I said myths are not true. If you want to believe in myths, that is fine with me. However I think you are right. We have gone full circle and to continue would be fruitless..

Enjoy your myth. Tell Zeus hello for me. :)

lovesong

Premium Member
I haven't said you religion isn't true.l I said myths are not true. If you want to believe in myths, that is fine with me. However I think you are right. We have gone full circle and to continue would be fruitless..

Enjoy your myth. Tell Zeus hello for me. :)
Enjoy your myths too! Tell Jesus I say hey. ;)