• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

OM -orgasmic meditation

Amechania

Daimona of the Helpless
Empathy, sympathy, and love are no more, or less, spiritual than sexuality. The step backwards is attempting to define any natural human behavior which is positive and enriching as somehow negative, thereby making people deny or negate parts of themselves which are necessary for a fulfilling existence. People need to realize that their own shame, guilt, or weirdness about sexuality doesn't make it a bad thing for people who are actually psychologically and emotionally balanced and healthy.

I couldn't agree more. Besides, this practice really isn't so much about sexual gratification, it seems to me, as learning to become more in touch (pardon the pun) with our physicality. Many women have difficulty achieving orgasm, often because they have been inculcated with the notion that physical gratification is somehow dirty or unholy. I think this meditation would help them.

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
Trust me, you don't wanna experience one of my rants - walls of posts will take up space and time, bending the space time continuum itself :D

This was no rant - just a simple definition of spirituality from the etymology of the word.

What have you provided? except for your opinion?

Don't disgrace yourself by pushing opinion over standardised definitions. To do so would be highly moronic of you.

God bless you.

Tantra - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Older than Christianity, and just as spiritual.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
Now that's been settled, let's stay within those confines.

The only thing that has been settled is that you don't get to define the terms for everyone else. If you think you can get everyone else to agree with and squeeze themselves into your exceedingly limited and narrow worldview, you are not only naive, but also delusional.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
I didn't define them - thats the standardised definition of the word, DUH?

Just because I posted the info, doesn't mean I take credit for it - what world you living in?

Go look it up yourself, seems you are at a loss to know what spirituality is eh?

No, you seem to be unaware that your specific, chosen, narrow definition of a concept doesn't encapsulate the totality of ways that people, cultures, and religions outside of your limited knowledge use and apply it. Crawl out of your little cave every now and then. You could learn something.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
Yo wait up. When you start to attack with troll posts claiming I need to leave a cave - implying that I am uncivilised, idiotic, and unlearnt when you know nothing about me and still expect civilities to follow?

No, I claimed that you need to leave your cave because of your displayed lack of knowledge regarding the range of concepts which fall under the umbrella of spirituality, along with your apparent unwillingness to learn about them since they might not agree with your limited view. If you find this observation insulting, that's certainly your prerogative.

Wake up.

When people troll, any chance of a civil discussion, breaks down - and I'm too old for that nonsense, so good luck to you, and enjoy your trollings :)

God bless you all, I sincerely hope he does.

Whatever you need to tell yourself in order to avoid acknowledging your limited perspective.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
You don't even know me to know what perspectives i have and don't have - so don't pretend to know me, or where i reside.

You displayed a clear lack of knowledge that many people, cultures, traditions, and religions include sexuality as an integral part of spirituality. Have you somehow cured yourself of this particular area of ignorance since earlier in the thread?

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
say what?

I defined the standardised term and it was up to you to prove to me that spirituality can be used for sexual gratification - yet all you've done is troll me.

And you think you can make this crap stick?

Think again pal. :D

Either you explain to me how sexual acts equate to spiritual progress or you don't - your choice. And since you are a proponent of this theory, the burden of proof lays with you to convince us... if trolling is the method by which you choose to educate us, then you got another thing coming.

Trolling is not necessary.

God bless

How am I trolling? Is it your contention that there aren't traditions, cultures, and religions which include sexuality as an integral part of spirituality? If so, then you are simply ignorant of their existence. If not, then it's not up to me to educate you about them - they exist - if you want to learn about them, go read.

Either way, you don't get to decide what the "standard" definition of spirituality is. If you think that your limited, narrow perspective somehow invalidates numerous other established traditions, that's certainly your prerogative, but you can't expect thinking people to take you seriously.

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
Religious experience - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Psychologist and Philosopher William James described four characteristics of religious / mystical experience in The Varieties of Religious Experience. According to James, such an experience is:

Transient — the experience is temporary; the individual soon returns to a "normal" frame of mind. It is outside our normal perception of space and time.

Ineffable — the experience cannot be adequately put into words.

Noetic — the individual feels that he or she has learned something valuable from the experience. Gives us knowledge that is normally hidden from human understanding.

Passive — the experience happens to the individual, largely without conscious control. Although there are activities, such as meditation , that can make religious experience more likely, it is not something that can be turned on and off at will.

Done properly, an orgasm can create all these characteristics.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
Must I repeat myself - THAT IS NOT MY DEFINITION - IT IS THE STANDARD DEFINITION - GO LOOK IT UP - DUH.

You can repeat that nonsense as much as you want. It doesn't change the fact that your "standard" definition of spirituality (whatever that is), doesn't encapsulate or represent the definition of what spirituality encompasses in traditions, cultures, and religions other than your own. Traditions, cultures, and religions you seem to be deadset on remaining willfully ignorant of, so that you can keep pushing your myopic argument that sex isn't spiritual.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
Your move.

My move has been the same each time - to try to get you to learn about something which falls outside your extremely narrow and limited viewpoint (which is displaying your ignorance about other traditions, cultures, and religions). It's your move whether you want to learn about them, or whether you wish to remain ignorant so you can keep trying to put forth your hollow and baseless arugment.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Look, the first thing I and any same person thinks of when "stroking of clitoris" is mentioned, is NOT spirituality, but lust and sexual gratification.

These acts require physical pleasuring - whereas spirituality is the opposite - it's enlightenment of the soul through contemplation and study followed by actions which are classed/seen as wisdom manifest in the flesh.

Sexual gratification hardly qualifies here, my friend :)

First off, I'm assuming that you don't have a clitoris, so how would you know? The clitoris is the only organ on the human body that is solely for sexual pleasure. So if some god created our bodies, they obviously don't think anything's wrong with sexual gratification.

Then, your definition of spirituality doesn't agree with everyone's definition of it. Not all paths make a distinction between the physical and the spiritual, the flesh and the spirit.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
I think it's honorable in a way. It turns even "base human desires" into a method of meditation.

Self-flagellation has become a euphemism.

BDSM practices can also be spiritual practices and have long been used in spiritual pursuits. It doesn't necessarily have anything to do with the self-hating Catholic concept of "mortification of the flesh", thankfully.

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend Scimitar and others,

Or maybe they are too lustful to know any different?

Look, the first thing I and any same person thinks of when "stroking of clitoris" is mentioned, is NOT spirituality, but lust and sexual gratification.

These acts require physical pleasuring - whereas spirituality is the opposite - it's enlightenment of the soul through contemplation and study followed by actions which are classed/seen as wisdom manifest in the flesh.

Sexual gratification hardly qualifies here, my friend

The responses provided in no way justifies the OM as any technique of meditation towards enlightenment.
Yes we all agree that it is observed and perceived as a pleasure tool.
What was trying to point is that the purpose of taking any meditation practise is to free the mind of ' all thoughts' and experience the state of 'no-mind' or 'no-thoughts'.
the above technique at best could also possibly reach such a thought free state of mind which will be very momentary; cannot be ruled out.

Love & rgds