• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oklahoma state question 788 (medical pot)

David1967

Premium Member
Well today 06/26 people in my state are finally getting to vote on medical pot. I already voted. I voted yes! The news just said that many people are reporting that in several voting stations they were having to specifically ask for the ballot. Hope that isn't true. Where I voted there was no problem.

Milton Platt

Well today 06/26 people in my state are finally getting to vote on medical pot. I already voted. I voted yes! The news just said that many people are reporting that in several voting stations they were having to specifically ask for the ballot. Hope that isn't true. Where I voted there was no problem.

I hope it passes, but, well.....you are in Oklahoma

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Good luck!

David1967

Premium Member
They just called it. Medical marijuana is now legal in Oklahoma. Hell just froze over.

David1967

Premium Member
Another surprise is that there was a big republican turn out which means lots of republicans voted for it too.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Another surprise is that there was a big republican turn out which means lots of republicans voted for it too.

In Colorado, independents can vote either Republican or Democratic in the primaries. Huge request for Democratic ballots here -- and we're a Republican city.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I hope it passes. So many people in severe pain like cancer and such. I'm not a proponent for recreational drug use, but for medical use, I would think it would be invaluable.

David1967

Premium Member
In Colorado, independents can vote either Republican or Democratic in the primaries. Huge request for Democratic ballots here -- and we're a Republican city.

In Oklahoma primaries, an Independent can vote Democrat, but not Republican. Makes no sense to me.

Milton Platt

I know what you mean. There has been a huge disinformation campaign against it. It's so ridiculous it resembles 'Reafer Madness'.

Saw the good news this morning. Pleasantly surprised. Not a law yet....they still have the opportunity to screw it up.
Anyway, congratulations are in order.

David1967

Premium Member
Saw the good news this morning. Pleasantly surprised. Not a law yet....they still have the opportunity to screw it up.
Anyway, congratulations are in order.

I am curious to see what it looks like after the legislators tweak it. They have till July 16. Pretty short time.

Milton Platt

Have they passed this in Texas yet?

Yes, but the program is extremely limited and finding a doctor who will write a prescription can be next to impossible. Basically, state legislators are trying to practice medicine by telling doctors how, when, and what they can prescribe.

Here is a cut and paste:
Who Qualifies for Medicinal Marijuana in Texas
Even though the name of the state’s medical marijuana program is the “Texas Compassionate Use Act,” in reality, it’s anything but. The state of Texas has one of the most ineffective medical marijuana programs in the country — it’s arguably the worst of its kind in the United States.

Medical marijuana qualifications in Texas are limited to but one condition: intractable epilepsy. And patients are only limited to using cannabidiol (CBD) oil to prevent seizures and replace other medications that have severe side effects. The bill was signed into law in 2015 but was not expected to take effect until September 2017 at the earliest.

What Are the Medical Marijuana Qualifications in Texas?
Texas’ medical marijuana program is incredibly limited, to the point that it does basically nothing to help patients who are supposed to benefit. Patients can only obtain CBD oil if they have tried at least two other prescription medications to no avail.

How to Become a Medical Marijuana Patient in Texas
To meet medical marijuana qualifications in Texas, epilepsy sufferers must obtain prescriptions from two state-licensed physicians before they can legally obtain CBD oil. This is what makes this incredibly ineffective program basically worthless. The word “prescription” makes it just about impossible for a patient to get CBD because very few, if any, physicians will actually write a prescription for a cannabis extract. The reason is that doing so is illegal under federal law.

In states that have legitimate medicinal cannabis programs, doctors are instead required to write “recommendations” or issue “certificates” for patients to obtain legal medical weed. The language in the Texas program is written in a way that fails to protect doctors who truly believe CBD can help their epileptic patients. If they write a prescription for CBD, they not only risk arrest, but also the loss of their right to practice medicine.

David1967

Premium Member
Yes, but the program is extremely limited and finding a doctor who will write a prescription can be next to impossible. Basically, state legislators are trying to practice medicine by telling doctors how, when, and what they can prescribe.

Here is a cut and paste:
Who Qualifies for Medicinal Marijuana in Texas
Even though the name of the state’s medical marijuana program is the “Texas Compassionate Use Act,” in reality, it’s anything but. The state of Texas has one of the most ineffective medical marijuana programs in the country — it’s arguably the worst of its kind in the United States.

Medical marijuana qualifications in Texas are limited to but one condition: intractable epilepsy. And patients are only limited to using cannabidiol (CBD) oil to prevent seizures and replace other medications that have severe side effects. The bill was signed into law in 2015 but was not expected to take effect until September 2017 at the earliest.

What Are the Medical Marijuana Qualifications in Texas?
Texas’ medical marijuana program is incredibly limited, to the point that it does basically nothing to help patients who are supposed to benefit. Patients can only obtain CBD oil if they have tried at least two other prescription medications to no avail.

How to Become a Medical Marijuana Patient in Texas
To meet medical marijuana qualifications in Texas, epilepsy sufferers must obtain prescriptions from two state-licensed physicians before they can legally obtain CBD oil. This is what makes this incredibly ineffective program basically worthless. The word “prescription” makes it just about impossible for a patient to get CBD because very few, if any, physicians will actually write a prescription for a cannabis extract. The reason is that doing so is illegal under federal law.

In states that have legitimate medicinal cannabis programs, doctors are instead required to write “recommendations” or issue “certificates” for patients to obtain legal medical weed. The language in the Texas program is written in a way that fails to protect doctors who truly believe CBD can help their epileptic patients. If they write a prescription for CBD, they not only risk arrest, but also the loss of their right to practice medicine.

So what was the point of even signing such into law?