• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oklahoma a Step Closer to Requiring a Database on Patients Who Have Had Abortions

Wandering Monk

Effing Fascists!
An Oklahoma bill that would create a database of every person who obtained an abortion is one step closer to becoming law.​
The so-called Oklahoma Right To Human Life Act, authored by state Rep. Kevin West, passed out of the Public Health Committee last week and moves to a full House vote next month. The bill would require the Oklahoma State Department of Health to create a database in which each patient is identified by a “unique patient identifier” to track how many abortions a patient has and when. That information and the identity of the patient could be released to authorities under a court order.​
Oklahoma already outlaws all abortions except when necessary to save the life of the mother, without exceptions for rape or incest.​

Regiomontanus

Ματαιοδοξία ματαιοδοξιών! Όλα είναι ματαιοδοξία.
Effing Fascists!
An Oklahoma bill that would create a database of every person who obtained an abortion is one step closer to becoming law.​
The so-called Oklahoma Right To Human Life Act, authored by state Rep. Kevin West, passed out of the Public Health Committee last week and moves to a full House vote next month. The bill would require the Oklahoma State Department of Health to create a database in which each patient is identified by a “unique patient identifier” to track how many abortions a patient has and when. That information and the identity of the patient could be released to authorities under a court order.​
Oklahoma already outlaws all abortions except when necessary to save the life of the mother, without exceptions for rape or incest.​

I am not sure of the reason for the database. If they obtained the abortion legally, then why the need to record it?

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
A disgusting idea. But I am going to predict that nothing like this will ever happen.

Because if something like this did exist, it would list just as many conservative/republican woman as democrats. If such a database did exist it would contain the names of the wives and daughters of republican congressmen, senators and governors, and perhaps the names of congresswomen themselves.

That will never be allowed to happen.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I am not sure of the reason for the database. If they obtained the abortion legally, then why the need to record it?
I would guess statistical reasons would be valid. I'm thinking along the same lines as the census is.

The information is used for multiple reasons.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
A disgusting idea. But I am going to predict that nothing like this will ever happen.

Because if something like this did exist, it would list just as many conservative/republican woman as democrats. If such a database did exist it would contain the names of the wives and daughters of republican congressmen, senators and governors, and perhaps the names of congresswomen themselves.

That will never be allowed to happen.

It's called shooting oneself in the foot.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Effing Fascists!
It appears that Big Brother is a Republican.

Regiomontanus

I would guess statistical reasons would be valid. I'm thinking along the same lines as the census is.

The information is used for multiple reasons.

Yeah, maybe. Just like we track the number of heart attacks or instances of, say, pancreatic cancer in certain communities.

Regiomontanus

To violate HIPAA.
Where's your outrage against thenanny state?

I am not sure this would be a HIPPA violation. Aggregate stats (heart attacks, colon cancer deaths, etc.) are common and legal. Dunno

Viker

Häxan
Effing Fascists!
Big Brother is watching and compiling lists.

F1fan

Veteran Member
There are databases for all sorts of medical procedures. There are valid reasons for such a database. There is nothing nefarious in this proposal.
What valid reasons by a political party that has banned abortion already?

Shaul

Premium Member
What valid reasons by a political party that has banned abortion already?
Political parties don't ban abortions. Governments do. The reasons are similar as for tracking other medical procedures.

F1fan

Veteran Member
Political parties don't ban abortions. Governments do.
As if governments are NOT run by political people, who are part of political parties. I guess elected officials stop being political as soon as they are in government.
The reasons are similar as for tracking other medical procedures.
Which are to do what? Can you guarantee those listed as having had abortions won't be harrassed or prosecuted by right wingers who think abortion is murder?

Shaul

Premium Member
As if governments are NOT run by political people, who are part of political parties. I guess elected officials stop being political as soon as they are in government.

Which are to do what? Can you guarantee those listed as having had abortions won't be harrassed or prosecuted by right wingers who think abortion is murder?
Health Databases and Health Database Organizations: Uses, Benefits, and Concerns - Health Data in the Information Age - NCBI Bookshelf
The guarantee is that the voters can hold the government accountable. Can you guarantee abortion providers won't misuse patient data?