• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oh, jeez. "Racist" Walking Dead T-Shirt pulled due to complaints

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Everyone not white?
Because it tells me?

Ultimately, yes, it would be racist people who make the shirt and racist people who wear the shirt, in order to spread the racist message the shirt bears. By extension, that makes the shirt racist.
That makes sense for the hypothetical shirt, but not for the one with Negan.
The shirt in question is about viciously beating people to death....while smiling & cracking wise.
But that aspect doesn't offend the SJWs.

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
That makes sense for the hypothetical shirt, but not for the one with Negan.
The shirt in question is about viciously beating people to death....while smiling & cracking wise.
But that aspect doesn't offend the SJWs.
Yup. The OP shirt wasn't racist.

The rhyme at some point was racist. But most people don't know the original version or no longer associate it with racism: it's a common schoolyard method of choosing. And in the context of the shirt, it's clearly just referencing actions in the show, which aren't racist, but merely vicious and disturbing. (A-ok!)

Claiming racism on something like this merely delegitimizes real instances of racism. It's like the boy who cried wolf.

I am glad we agree: Everyone has the right to freedom of speech.
No where in the constitution does it say Americans have the right to free speech, it says that the government will not pass any law restricting free speech. As for everybody else we can and do restrict freedom of speech.

Yup. The OP shirt wasn't racist.

The rhyme at some point was racist. But most people don't know the original version or no longer associate it with racism: it's a common schoolyard method of choosing. And in the context of the shirt, it's clearly just referencing actions in the show, which aren't racist, but merely vicious and disturbing. (A-ok!)

Claiming racism on something like this merely delegitimizes real instances of racism. It's like the boy who cried wolf.
"Eeeny Meeny Miiny Moe, catch a ****** by the toe, if he hollers make him pay fifty dollars every day." Don't know why anyone would create such a saying.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
"Eeeny Meeny Miiny Moe, catch a ****** by the toe, if he hollers make him pay fifty dollars every day." Don't know why anyone would create such a saying.
That's only one version.
Those looking for racism will see what suits them, & ignore other versions.

What's interesting is that they entirely ignore the most obviouis meaning, ie,
that Negan used it to randomly select someone to violently beat to death.
To use a bad word offends them....not the murder of a human being.
Warped values I say.

I'll give my own reply here, talking about freedom of speech, we don't have it, wake up everybody! See that quote above about Eeeny Meeny......and notice how they, not me, put in the "stars"? See how people are scared to death to say the word? Well I am not.

Jeremiahcp

Well-Known Jerk
y5av0.jpg

VioletVortex

May I ask a very good question? How can a t-shirt, an inanimate object in case you weren't aware, discriminate and disfavor a certain race?

Jeremiahcp

Well-Known Jerk
I'll give my own reply here, talking about freedom of speech, we don't have it, wake up everybody! See that quote above about Eeeny Meeny......and notice how they, not me, put in the "stars"? See how people are scared to death to say the word? Well I am not.

"talking about freedom of speech, we don't have it, wake up everybody!"

He freely said.

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
I do.

They have the right to be offended, to be "up in arms" and [REDACTED] about "subtle racism" all they want. But what gives them the right to pressure until the offending speech is removed from their delicate presence? That it's "2017 already"?

There is a difference between "free speech" and "consequential speech" (that is speech with consequences) we're not entirely free to say or do anything without repercussions. People often misconstrued freedom from government tyranny because one can exercise their "freedom" speak out against government, and speech that can cause harm and punishment. Speech is not free, it is decreed by law and very much by the larger society, the freedom aspect is the illusion.