• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Occultism"-- Coming out of the Closet

doppelganger

Through the Looking Glass
It does make sense.

Is it any wonder that The Occult World is full of See'rs?;)
Though using that word will convey no useful information to those not seeing, and will likely result in them assuming the worst.

What's wrong with: "I have my own approach to things that works for me" and just leave it at that?

no-body

Depends on the situation/person/time/place/etc but I would personally resolve to create as little drama as possible. A lamely disguised "no comment and none of your business" but put in a nice way.

On the other hand I can understand wanting to be proud of your chosen religion and wanting to put it on the same level as mainstream ones. Just do the best that you can, as cliche as it sounds, I guess :shrug:

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
What's your purpose for coming out to any particular person? What is it that you want to gain from expressing such a label to people?

For most interactions, I'd say what's to be gained is probably outweighed by potential unwanted effects. As you know, I'm an atheist, but very few people I interact with would know this. There's just no upside, and lots of potential downside.

Also, whenever you choose a label to call yourself, people will strongly identify this with you - but not necessarily what you mean by the label. I'd say calling yourself an Occultist, or an atheist, probably results in a similar reaction in most people - and it's not particularly positive.

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
Knowing people, when you say "occultist" to them they'll probably just hear "cultist".

People tend to jerk their knees a lot.

FluentYank3825

Ironic Idealist
Here's another Question,

In real life,
if I told you in the context of a conversation
that I was an Occultist,
what would be your first response?
Would you internally prepare to try and save me?
Would you immediately dismiss me as a kook?

... and of more interest to me....
Would you be genuinely curious?
Would you ask me questions?
If so,
what questions would you ask me?
(I may even try to answer them here. :) )
if only for the sake of practice. :D

In my earlier religiously zealous days I would've thought you a kook, but now, after maturing considerably, I'd say "cool!" and ask you more specific questions and gain a better understanding of, and a respect for, your beliefs

As for being weird or dangerous, quite frankly, the most dangerous and weird beliefs that I know are among the most mainstream as well.

Ain't that the truth! :yes:

rakeyrach

If asked, I tell people that I'm a Pagan, and if they get all weird about it and stop talking to me, then they're not true friends. Sure, it hurts heaps, but in the long run, it's better than dealing with a "friend" who tries to change your beliefs to suit their own.
Also, I wear a pentacle to show that I'm proud, but I don't exactly shove it in people's faces.
Maybe that's an idea for you? I guess only you will be able to decide that :)

blackout

Violet.
If asked, I tell people that I'm a Pagan, and if they get all weird about it and stop talking to me, then they're not true friends. Sure, it hurts heaps, but in the long run, it's better than dealing with a "friend" who tries to change your beliefs to suit their own.
Also, I wear a pentacle to show that I'm proud, but I don't exactly shove it in people's faces.
Maybe that's an idea for you? I guess only you will be able to decide that :)

I would have to wear a pentacle on a spinner.
(I HAVE actually thought of having one made for me) :D

Because I'm more of an Occultic Discordian
than I am a "Pagan". ;)

GabrielWithoutWings

I would have to wear a pentacle on a spinner.
(I HAVE actually thought of having one made for me) :D

Because I'm more of an Occultic Discordian
than I am a "Pagan". ;)

Well, that settles it then.

Simply introduce yourself as Pope UltraViolet and hand them a hot dog. Then, yell at them for heresy when they bite into it. Then, grab it and eat the rest of it in front of them.

Then walk off, all mysterious like... :highfive:

Duck

UV, I would be cautious regarding coming out as an Occultist. Chances are your casual comments and actions will have clued most of your "inner-circle" of friends/family in to the fact that you are, at the very least, not a christian. Your 'inner circle' will probably be very accepting and easy to 'come-out' to. The more problematic group would be the slightly better friends than co-workers you don't hang out with but who aren't in your inner circle group, there I would be more cautious and would recommend a slower process, perhaps starting with publicly reading one of the more innocuous books on Esotericism or the like (I know Esotericism might not be your flavor of Occultism, given your indication of discordianism earlier) to kind of break the ice and perhaps get a conversation started. Feeling out someone's reaction with a library book might be a more gentle method of introducing the topic than something like, "Hi, my name is UV and I am ..."

For complete strangers, it depends on the situation. I wouldn't answer the door and invite the cute Mormon boy on his mission in to join you in ritual to Eris, but if out at the mall/shopping/dog park and a random prosletyzer engages you, if you feel safe, it might be useful to come-out (if for no other reason than to see the look on the prosletyzer's face as he/she tries to work out that you aren't concerned with not going to 'heaven' by their standards).

One thing, I am pretty sure I read on one of your posts that you and your partners have/want kids, yes? I am not sure where exactly you are living, but be cautious please. Unfortunately, there are a lot of small minded folks out there who would think (and make it a mission) that getting your kids removed by CPS because of either your Poly- status or your Occultish status would be the height of service to your kids. I don't want to scare you, and you probably know this even better than I do, but please be careful who you come out to.

blackout

Violet.
I think maybe I haven't been getting enough sleep lately.

I seem to go through this every few months.
Of course I know how it is.
Of course I know how people are.

But I get annoyed at the ignorant predjudice
that so many people face
in our supposedly free country.

It annoys me that we do not all enjoy
equality of liberty.

Truly... in PRACTICE... there is no 'freedom of religion'.
Neither is there freedom in the 'persuit of happiness'
for those of non hetero/mono orientations.

It annoys me... it upsets me... that so many people
are bullied into "hiding" who they are,
and then when they are found there "hiding",
people say
LOOK! They must be doing something wrong...
or else WHY would they hide...

duh.

Society needs to come out from under it's multitude of rocks.

Last edited:

blackout

Violet.
So, I shall continue I suppose...

Labels are largely useless.

How many KINDS of Christianity are there, for example.
You tell me you're christian,
and that could mean SO MANY completely different things,
as to really mean nothing at all.
As a single word, it tells me nothing about
what it means to YOU,
what YOU are like as a person,
what YOU "believe",
how YOU interpret your "scriptures"...

Just look at this forum. :shrug:
and it gets even weirder out in the real world.

I really hate the double standard though.
Some labels are "good" and some labels are "bad",
even though in and of themSelves
none of them are either.
It is PEOPLE who 'bring life' and meaning
to their "labels".
And no two people are the same.

I am an individualist,
and individuals should be able to call themSelves WHATEVER they want,
without people getting all wiggy and judgemental about it.
Words and labels
are just words and labels after all.

The only way to TRULY get to know what a person about,
is to truly get to know THAT person.

Last edited:

blackout

Violet.
UV, I would be cautious regarding coming out as an Occultist. Chances are your casual comments and actions will have clued most of your "inner-circle" of friends/family in to the fact that you are, at the very least, not a christian. Your 'inner circle' will probably be very accepting and easy to 'come-out' to. The more problematic group would be the slightly better friends than co-workers you don't hang out with but who aren't in your inner circle group, there I would be more cautious and would recommend a slower process, perhaps starting with publicly reading one of the more innocuous books on Esotericism or the like (I know Esotericism might not be your flavor of Occultism, given your indication of discordianism earlier) to kind of break the ice and perhaps get a conversation started. Feeling out someone's reaction with a library book might be a more gentle method of introducing the topic than something like, "Hi, my name is UV and I am ..."

For complete strangers, it depends on the situation. I wouldn't answer the door and invite the cute Mormon boy on his mission in to join you in ritual to Eris, but if out at the mall/shopping/dog park and a random prosletyzer engages you, if you feel safe, it might be useful to come-out (if for no other reason than to see the look on the prosletyzer's face as he/she tries to work out that you aren't concerned with not going to 'heaven' by their standards).

One thing, I am pretty sure I read on one of your posts that you and your partners have/want kids, yes? I am not sure where exactly you are living, but be cautious please. Unfortunately, there are a lot of small minded folks out there who would think (and make it a mission) that getting your kids removed by CPS because of either your Poly- status or your Occultish status would be the height of service to your kids. I don't want to scare you, and you probably know this even better than I do, but please be careful who you come out to.

Just for the record.

I may CHAMPION the freedom of the Individual,
but this does not mean
that I am living out
every'thing that I champion.

At present I am a lonely celabate woman
living in a house
with a man I cannot stand.

If I had understood Poly to be a family making choice
back when I was younger
(and had not grown up with christianity
CONSTANTLY countering who I was/am)
I may very well have gone that route.
I would have begun a family that way.
But now,
I am older,
and have had 10 lifetimes worth of drama
crammed into 10... no... :( 15 years.
(even though I did things the "right way" :rolleyes:)

I don't need any more drama.
I just want dynamic love and partnership,
and a safe happy home for my children.
(I will not be having any more)

At this point,
I would not even consider raising my children
in a Poly home.
For about a hundred reasons
I won't bother to list here.

As well,
I will not choose a female partner
to build a home/life with
(I am bisexual)
because my childrens' father
will go psycho drama on us all,
and I will not risk custody
over his smallmindedness.

And you're right,
you're ALL right,
the "Occultic" label is ****.
We live in a society of UN-nuanced people.
We live in a society of small minded people.
A society of superstitious and judgemental people.
A society of people
who can not see 3 inches beyond their own personal biases.
Why then should I INVITE Misunderstanding/Missed' Understanding.
Most of you HERE, don't even understand me,
and this is a forum for people INTERESTED
in the paths/philosophies/'beliefs'/psychologies of others.

As for people I am not close with,
when they ask me the church question?
"I take my children to UU,
so they can make up their own minds"

...and when they ask about me?
my 'beliefs'?
"I don't discuss casual personal politics, religion, or world view".
*shrug and smile*

Last edited: