• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Obamacare succeeding

MD

qualiaphile
Free healthcare isn't all that it's cracked up to be. If you are a hardworking and well earning individual, private healthcare is hands down better in every way.

As someone who has worked in both the U.S. And Canadian health care systems, the U.S. system is better IMO than the Canadian one for procedures and complicated disease while the Canadian system is better for preventative care.

I think all nations should have two tiered systems, and options for those who want to choose superior quality of care if they can but basic healthcare for those who can't.

This is pretty much what happens in the U.S. at the moment

Last edited:

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I think all nations should have two tiered systems, and options for those who want to choose superior quality of care if they can but basic healthcare for those who can't.

This is pretty much what happens in the U.S. at the moment
Actually not as there are still millions without any health-care coverage.

BTW, I spend a lot of time in Canada since it's a 20 minute drive from my place in the L.P., and I have yet to meet a single Canadian that would trade theirs for ours.

Sultan Of Swing

As someone who comes from a country that has free healthcare, I couldn't quite get my head around why Americans didn't want free healthcare...
It's a health insurance scheme, it isn't "free", as in taken out of taxes. It's like he wants to implement free healthcare, but makes a compromise and comes up with something worse than either option.

freethinker44

As someone who comes from a country that has free healthcare, I couldn't quite get my head around why Americans didn't want free healthcare...
It's not that Americans don't want free healthcare, it's that Americans don't want other Americans to have free healthcare. You see, the whole "land of opportunity" thing is deeply ingrained in the minds of the people here. So people believe that anyone can succeed as long as they work for it, so if someone isn't or can't succeed, it must mean they aren't working for it and therefore don't deserve it. So if people can't afford healthcare or don't have insurance, they don't deserve healthcare.

All isn't lost though, more and more people are realizing that the "American dream" doesn't actually exist and the opportunities simply aren't there anymore, so this type of thinking - that if someone doesn't have something they need, it's because they don't deserve it - is beginning to fade. Hopefully as the oldest two or three generations begin to die off they will take it with them.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Additionally anything that's mandated and compulsory of course will be "successful".

Wonderful. I toast Obama for his fabulous success. Well done.

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member
I love it when the guy sitting next to me in the waiting room of the local Veteran's Administration hospital starts complaining about "socialized" healthcare.

Marisa

I love it when the guy sitting next to me in the waiting room of the local Veteran's Administration hospital starts complaining about "socialized" healthcare.
That one is funny. But in his defense, my hubs is retiring next year and VA scares the hell out of me. We'll be doing the other route, where we get to pick our own docs but have to pay for it. Tricare has it's problems, but it's far and above better than the VA, though I think the VA will eventually get there.

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member
That one is funny. But in his defense, my hubs is retiring next year and VA scares the hell out of me. We'll be doing the other route, where we get to pick our own docs but have to pay for it. Tricare has it's problems, but it's far and above better than the VA, though I think the VA will eventually get there.
I have a service connected disability, and have no choice but to go to VA (private insurance can refuse to pay for anything that is deemed to be service connected).
But, to be honest, I haven't had any issues with the VA; they are slow on the paperwork, but I get my appointments in a timely manner and the care is on par with what I was getting from my private doctor.

CMike

For those that qualify for substantial subsidies because they are poor it's great.

For those that are not poor and don't qualify for subsidies, health insurance premiums have skyrocketed and continue to skyrocket because of the law.

Marisa

I have a service connected disability, and have no choice but to go to VA (private insurance can refuse to pay for anything that is deemed to be service connected).
But, to be honest, I haven't had any issues with the VA; they are slow on the paperwork, but I get my appointments in a timely manner and the care is on par with what I was getting from my private doctor.
I'm glad to hear that!

CMike

Veterans deserved it since they have protected our country.