• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Obama: Muslim or Christian?

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
For political reasons he'll says he's a liberal Christian but my gut tells me he's more in the agnostic or atheist camp.
Amazing how so many people are projecting what they want to see onto Obama.

Rick, that's the second time I've agreed with you tonight.

Edit:
He is Christian, btw. And I'm not saying that because I want him to be but because he's attended a UCC church for the last 26 years. He identifies as Christian, and to say he is otherwise is to question his honesty.

kai

ragamuffin
Absolutely. The political efficacy of a candidate has nothing to do with his religious affiliation.

it has everything to do with the efficacy of a candidate if his religious affiliation effects ,getting elected, and if you dont know that its a waste of time talking about it,

djrez4

Swollen Member
it has everything to do with the efficacy of a candidate if his religious affiliation effects ,getting elected, and if you dont know that its a waste of time talking about it,

You're missing my point. I'm arguing that people who choose candidates based on their religions are missing out on an entire crop of potentially brilliant candidates. Certainly, electability is necessary for efficacy, but it is not sufficient. The American voter would choose a lesser Christian candidate over a greater non-Christian and would be mistaken in doing so.

People need to get over their religions.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
My husband did a wikipedia search on Obama, that is how we found out he is a Christian. It would not matter if he is a Muslim, though.

kai

ragamuffin
My husband did a wikipedia search on Obama, that is how we found out he is a Christian. It would not matter if he is a Muslim, though.
why not? are you going to tell me the american electorate would not consider it to matter or is that just your opinion. actually i am trying to clarify a story that he was indeed registered as a muslim as a child in his schools so that would make him an apostate,This could give him a unique chance to speak out about the freedom of conscience and the human rights of those who leave Islam. but i need a reliable source .

kai

ragamuffin
fantôme profane;1079412 said:
Four years ago I would have said that white men were the only ones capable of being elected president of the United States.
your point!

w00t

In the UK if a politician stated their faith and made a big deal out of it, they would be unlikely to get elected. The vast majority of Brits don't want faith and politics mixed!

kai

ragamuffin
fantôme profane;1079413 said:
Snopes.com reports this urban legend to be False.

well no it doesnt does it , the talk of madrassas etc is obviously false, but if you are born a muslim and choose to be a christian you are an apostate

Obama lived in Indonesia as a child, from 1967 to 1971, with his mother and stepfather and has acknowledged attending a Muslim school, but an aide said it was not a madrassa.

CNN debunks false report about Obama - CNN.com

kai

ragamuffin
In the UK if a politician stated their faith and made a big deal out of it, they would be unlikely to get elected. The vast majority of Brits don't want faith and politics mixed!
oh yeah thats why tony Blair converted to catholisism when he left office then, and there has been a hell of a lot of critisism of blair and his religion. thats why its a major factor in elections

The Great Architect

Good grief! What possible difference does it make? :rolleyes:
That is exactly what I was thinking. If you feel some sort of spiritual kinship with me, are you more likely to enjoy my company? I would hope not.

There is nothing wrong with being a Muslim, or an atheist. Or, anything else you care to name. I can not vote in American elections, but still... he does not sacrifice goats, or small children. He does not kill for pleasure. From what I've seen, he is a good person.

The politics is up to the rest of you. It is entirely separate from anything else.:yes:

kai

ragamuffin
That is exactly what I was thinking. If you feel some sort of spiritual kinship with me, are you more likely to enjoy my company? I would hope not.

There is nothing wrong with being a Muslim, or an atheist. Or, anything else you care to name. I can not vote in American elections, but still... he does not sacrifice goats, or small children. He does not kill for pleasure. From what I've seen, he is a good person.

The politics is up to the rest of you. It is entirely separate from anything else.:yes:

yes very noble if only the whole world thought as you